The Monster Within

Sticks and Stones

That damn ticking.

Maggie blinked a few times to clear the fuzziness from the corner of her vision. She had been sitting in the same room for the past 5 hours and it didn’t seem like she would be getting out any time soon. The dull hum of commotion from outside the room was her only relief from the ticking of the clock that hung precariously above the door.

Tick. Tok. Tick. Tok. Tick. Tok.

She sighed in annoyance at the obnoxiousness of the ticking. That’s how they get people to confess, drive them crazy. She thought to herself and continued to stare at the mirror that was also in the room. She wasn’t stupid, she knew that on the other side was at least two cops and a psychologist trying to figure her out. Good luck. She thought and allowed a smirk of satisfaction to cross her pink lips. After 2 hours of trying to get her to even say a word the cops had stormed out of the room.

The door opened and a man in a black suit walked in. Her green eyes followed him, but that was it. Her hands stayed in the pockets of a ratty grey hoodie and the ripped skinny jeans clung to her small fame tightly. Her brown hair fell straight to just above her shoulder in a bold choppy cut and her bangs hung in her right eye, covering it completely.

“So Margaret-” The man began to say.

“It’s Maggie.” She said in a monotone voice. Shocking the officer into a slight stutter.

“Y-you do talk.” He said and left the door open. “Well we can’t charge you with anything so we’re going to let you go. But don’t go to far cause we have more questions to ask you.”

“Not like I answered in the first place.” She muttered, but was thankful be allowed out of the torturously boring room. “I don’t plan on going far.”

Maggie walked out into the bull pen and the whole office went silent except for the muffled sound of a phone ringing near the back. She ignored the stares and continued to walk until a voice stopped her dead.

“You’re letting that....that....THING back onto the streets!” A woman’s voice called from behind her, stopping Maggie mid-step. With her head bowed Maggie smirked and quickly turned on heel to face the very upset woman.

“Mame we can’t hold her without any charges and the evidence doesn’t give us anything on her. The girl is allowed to be free.” The cop said, but the woman would not hear it.

“That IS NOT a girl. She’s a monster! She’s a demon!” She wailed and Maggie just continued to smirk. “She’ll do it again! And then you’ll all know what kind of monster she is!”

“And people wonder why I have issues.” Maggie said, her voice so sweet half the men in the room swooning over it. “I’ll see you later mom.” Maggie turned and continued to walk towards the exit.

“I will not be allowed to be called your mother! You were born in the pits of hell. You are the spawn of the devil himself!” The woman screamed after Maggie, who just continued to walk with a smirk on her face.

“Sticks and stones, mom. Sticks and stones.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with this story yet. Nothing. We are totally winging this. Just have to hope it turns out ok.

Enjoy!