The Monster Within

A Gig

Maggie took a deep breath of fresh air and listened to the chaotic music that was New York City. It was truly the city that never sleeps and with good reason. Sleeping in this city was dangerous, you never know where you’re gonna wake up or with who.

“I see you got sprung.” A deep voice called out from an alley across the street. Maggie smiled and quickly jogged across the street, dodging through the moving cars. No one even noticed her.

“I have a feeling with your help.” Maggie said to the shadowed figure and brought out a cigarette. She didn’t know what was worse, having to listen to that clock for 5 hours or not having nicotine for 5 hours. It was a pretty close tie.

“I always have to bail your ass out.” Alex said as he finally moved to stand next to her, his own cigarette lying lightly between his calloused hands. “And that’s not the only thing I got you.” A smirk sat on his pink lips and the outline of his dimples were showing.

“A present? For me? Oh you shouldn’t have.” Maggie said with fake enthusiasm and took a deep drag, blowing it out into smoke rings.

“Aren’t you the talented one.” Alex said with a smile and lightly jabbed Maggie in the side earning a surprised squeal. “You have a gig tonight in a some what classy bar.”

“There is no such thing as a classy bar in this part of New York. You only have scummy, scummier and the bottom feeder.” Maggie replied, this time not hiding her distaste.

“You’ll get over it. It’s paying a grand for the band to perform.” Alex said and Maggie hit the wall hard, leaning on it heavily for support. She tried to refill her lungs after all the air in her lungs was pushed out. Coughing heavily she bent down and coughed up a little blood. “That’s not good.” Alex said and looked a little concerned.

“A GRAND?!” Maggie practically screamed and glared at a figure that stopped at the entrance of the alley way until it decided to keep moving, probably figuring it was a drug deal about to go bad.

“Wanna say that louder? I think only half of New York heard you.” Alex said without moving. His right foot was propped against the wall and the rest of his body leaned against the wall. He wore ripped and faded jeans that sat low on his toned hips. He wore a plain black t-shirt that was just tight enough to show his muscles and his black shaggy hair was swept out of his green eyes. Alex had a models face with his tan complexion, perfect high cheek bones, soft lips that had snake bites through them and a strong jaw line that set his face perfectly. Unfortunately for Maggie, they were only friends and didn’t think he would ever notice her other wise.

“Well sorry for being a little shocked. A grand for a garage band whose singer just got bailed out of jail for possible murder and assaulting a cop? What did you make us out to be?” Maggie asked and laughed at the bewilder expression that crossed his face.

“You were in jail for what?” Alex asked and this time turned to look at her, his eyes almost taking her breath from her, but she had gotten used to it by now. After a while she was able to hide how he took her breath away.

“Possible murder and assaulting a police officer.” Maggie said like it was no big deal and took her final drag from the deadly stick and then let it fall from her fingers onto the cement below her. She used to toe of her black converse to rub it out. When she looked back up Alex was so close she could feel the body heat radiating off of him.

“Possible? How can it be possible murder?” Alex asked and Maggie shrugged while taking a step back. “Maggie, did you say anything?” Alex asked, this time his voice lower and darker.

“Do I look stupid to you? Of course I didn’t.” Maggie replied her heart beat accelerating from the closeness of the two.

“I sure as hell hope you didn’t. If they find out about us I swear to god Maggie I wil-” Alex began but Maggie quickly cut him off.

“They won’t!” Maggie said and rolled her eyes. “I only spoke when I was leaving. My mother decided to make a little visit.” Alex sighed and rubbed his face in frustration.

“She has been nothing but a thorn in our side since you joined.” Alex mumbled and Maggie just laughed, leaning against the wall again.

“She has been a thorn in my side for the past 9 years. I think I win that battle.” Maggie mumbled and watched as cars and people passed the entrance of the alley. They either choose to ignore Maggie and Alex or they didn’t see them.

“Well we need to do something about her, so she doesn’t ruin this entire operation by exposing you.” Alex said and Maggie couldn’t help but let out a cold laugh that visibly sent a hard shiver down Alex’s spine.

“She won’t.” Maggie replied and earned a strange look from Alex.

“How do you know this?”

“She’s too embarrassed by me.” Maggie said with a stone cold face, if it did bother her she showed no sign of it any more.

“I hope your right. Let’s go. We have to get ready for the gig.” Alex said and grabbed Maggie’s hand, lacing their fingers together.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry. I was in the musical at my school and it took over my life for the last month!! I'm trying to write these as fast as I can and I REALLY want to thank the judges for being so understanding!
THANK YOU!