Jump Then Fall

One and done.

"The club can't even handle me right now!"

I sang at the top of my lungs, dancing around my kitchen, my iHome on full blast. I started in on the dishes, humming along now since I couldn't multitask. I nearly dropped my plate as I heard someone yelling from the other room.

"LACEY!" 

I rushed into my living room, the plate still in my hands, and stared at my best friend Matt. He had moved from his lying position to sitting at the edge of the couch, his elbows on his knees, staring at the TV. I looked between him and Sportsnet, completely confused.

"LACE-" He glanced in my direction, giving me a sheepish grin and lowering his voice slightly, but still loud enough to be heard over the music. "Oh. Could you turn that off for a minute? Quick!"

I rushed back into the kitchen, pressing pause on my iPod and hurrying back out to where Matt was looking intently at the TV. He motioned frantically for me to come over, and I raised an eyebrow before plopping down beside him. 

He turned up the volume, turning to me and smirking. "You could have put the plate down, Lace."

I looked down, realizing the ceramic plate was still clutched in my hand, and I flipped my hair over my shoulder. "Shut up, Matty."

He laughed, turning his attention back to the TV. I stifled a giggle at the sound of his laugh. It was something between a manly giggle and a snort - I, oddly enough, found it to be adorable. It was associated with Matt smiling, and I loved his smile. He was just one of those people, that if he was happy, you were happy.

I focused my attention on the TV. 

"And how about Matt Duchene? Did you see his goal last night?"

I watched them replay Matt's goal, then looked over at him as he leaned back into the couch with a content sigh. I pursed my lips together with one hand on my hip.

"You made me turn off the music for that?"

"Hey!" Matt said, holding his hands up defensively. "That," he pointed at the TV, "was an awesome goal!"

I burst into laughter, falling back beside him. I nodded in agreement. "It was, but I saw it when it happened yesterday."

Matt shrugged. "So did I, but I thought we could both share in the awesomeness one more time."

I shook my head, standing up and heading back into the kitchen. I placed the plate on the counter before reaching out and turning my music back on. I started to dance again, turning around and grinning as Matt walked in, giving me a mock seductive look before doing some sort of booty dance. I laughed and headed over to him, both of us singing along at the top of our lungs and dancing like idiots. He took my hand and spun me around. The song finally ended and I turned the music off. I slid down the cabinet to the floor, still grinning and trying to catch my breath. Matt plopped down next to me, and we both sat in silence for a moment, trying to slow our heart rates and calm ourselves down.

"We are complete idiots," I declared.

Matt gave me a pretend shocked look. "Awesome idiots."

"You say awesome a lot, Matty."

"You call me Matty a lot, Lacey," he mocked.

I rolled my eyes and we were both silent before I slapped his knee and stood up. 

"Come on, kiddo. Are you going to help me clean?"

***

"These movies are so lame," I declared. 

Matt and I were sitting on my couch later that evening, watching some action movie I had let him pick out. My legs were on top of his, and his arms were resting on them gently. He shushed me and I felt a smile creeping onto my face as I watched him. 

He was staring intently at the TV as though his life depended on it. His brown, messy hair was everywhere, which was the usual. From this angle, I could particularly see his dark, long lashes outlining his light green eyes. His mouth was slightly ajar as he continued to watch the scene unfold onscreen. 

I finally broke out of my trance when there was a loud boom on the TV that made me jump. 

I glanced from the TV, to Matt, then to the remote perched on his knee. I looked up at him again, a smirk growing on my face alongside the idea.

I grabbed the remote, standing up and jumping out of Matt's reach as he quickly realized what was happening.

"Lacey!"

He stood up abruptly and I squealed, running around the back of the couch. He went the opposite way, catching me around the waist and pinning me against the wall. The remote fell from my hand. We were laughing until we both seemed to realize, at nearly the same time, how close we were. 

I slowly turned around, my back against the wall now, facing him. His hands rested on the wall on either side of my head. Every second that passed with me staring into his eyes seemed like an hour. Even if I had wanted to look away, I wasn't sure I would have been able to.

Matt's eyes drifted down to my lips, and mine quickly glanced at his before they shot back up to meet his gaze. It seemed neither of us was breathing. With every ticking second on the clock, we appeared to grow closer to one another. My heart was pounding, my thoughts racing with yeses and no's, sorting out the reasons why this would or wouldn't be okay. 

But I didn't have to think for long. It seemed as though Matt came to a decision for me.

He pushed himself off the wall, tearing our gaze apart and leaving me with my heart threatening to leap out of my chest as he disappeared into the kitchen. I stared in front of me, dumbfounded. What had just happened?

I lifted myself off the wall slowly. I turned the corner into the kitchen, standing in the doorway like a lost puppy.

"You were going to kiss me."

I stared at his back, my voice coming out sounding completely confused. Matt's hands gripped the marble counter and his shoulders were tense. He slowly turned his head to the side before completely turning to face me.

"Yeah, I was."

I swallowed hard and bit my lip. I crossed my arms over my chest and said softly, "Why didn't you?" I caught the quick flash of surprise in his eyes. 

"Did you want me to?"

I shrugged, then nodded. My heart fluttered in my chest as he took a step closer. His eyes searched mine, as though he was afraid I would suddenly laugh and say I was kidding. 

"Did you want to?" I managed, my voice cracking slightly. Again, I was surprised at my ability to keep eye contact.

"Well, obviously," Matt replied. He gave a casual shrug of his shoulders, his hands finding their way to his pockets. "I mean, I've wanted to for a long time."

My eyes widened in surprise. I cleared my throat, looking at the floor and tucking a strand of loose hair behind my ears. "Why didn't you?" I repeated. I met his eyes again.

There was a bit of silence before he said, "I didn't know if I should."

I broke from his gaze, my mind spinning. My stomach was flipping like pancakes on a stove, and I felt chills spread through my entire body. 

Matt wanted to kiss me.

My eyes flew up to his again. He looked incredibly nervous. I took a shaky breath.

"I really, really like you," I confessed. "Like, really, really, really." I chewed my lip nervously, my eyes, yet again, falling to the floor. 

Matt stepped forward again until he reached me. I was frozen on the spot. One hand found it's way to my hip and gently rested there, while the other rested on the side of my neck. His thumb stroked my cheek and I held my breath, leaning into his touch. Each time his thumb moved against my cheek, a new wave of electricity shot through me. I wasn't sure I could handle kissing him if he had this much of an effect on me already. But I didn't have much time to think about that.

Matt's lips collided with mine. He kissed me slowly, and my hands slowly found their way to his neck. I began to kiss him back; soft, gentle kisses that would send my heart racing a new lap every time.

I felt sort of giddy and childish as we pulled apart, goofy smiles threatening to overtake our entire faces. But then I reminded myself that, honestly, we were both 20-year old kids who watched stupid movies and laughed at stupid jokes. 

We were perfect for one another.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have a bit of a Matt fetish ATM.

Comments? :)