The Hunt

Heart.

The first time I saw him there was blood trickling down his neck, dribbling idly down his ripped shirt and staining every part of his clothing. There was blood beneath his eyes, painting his olive cheeks with a scarlet line that ran over the curve of his pink lips. His eyes were dark and bloodshot – crazed, almost, and they were staring at me full of promises, lies and primitive desire.

His hands were in fists, his pointed, claw-like nails digging into his own skin. He was barely moving, his dark, chocolate locks swaying the in the gentle breeze that surrounded us. There were deep, red scratch marks trailing down his arms, a speckle of blood appearing where nails had cut too deep. The look on his face was haunting, the curl of his lips utterly seductive and dark.

With a frozen heart I watched him, terrified to even take a breath for fear that he would steal it away from me. I was barely aware of the staggered gasps that were leaving my lips, and the clouds of uncertainty that enclosed my eyes. The icy wind danced across my skin, and a shiver erupted through me from both the cold of the night and the heat of his gaze. The moonlight taunted me, threatening to disappear and leave me with nothing but the blackness of the night and the blackness of the creature in front of me.

His lips curled into a dark, deadly smile, and he took an evasive step forward. His tongue darted across his lips, his teeth painted in drying blood and bared ever-so slightly beneath the part of his ruby lips. His eyes held mine, and my heart began to thump in my chest so quickly that I swore that he could hear it.

Bile rose in my throat as I looked behind him, my almond eyes trailing over the heaped mess of a bloody body that lay almost artistically across the blood-drenched grass. Pale, lifeless blue eyes stared back at me, warning me of his nature and warning me of his animosity. But my heart was desperate, reaching out to him in wretched need and unclear and utmost desire. He was a creature of the night, dark, deadly and dangerous, but seductive in a way that left my thoughts closed off and my heart pounding uncontrollably.

It took everything in me to hold on to it. It took every ounce of strength I had and the desperate shreds of my morality to keep it to myself, and to keep it hidden. But his eyes were searching for it, longing for it, grabbing at it with greedy, clawed hands. My strength was depleting, my senses becoming clouded by the intensity of his eyes and by my own self-doubt. I didn’t know who I was, but all I knew was that I had to keep it to myself, and that giving it to him would be my end.

But I faltered. My eyelashes fluttered shut, and in a moment it was snatched from me. It was torn from my body, and all I could do was stand there and pant as I realized that I would never get it back. He had a hold of it in his hands, and the deadly smile on his face told me that I had signed my fate and my sanity away.

Because in his hands it stood, and in his hands it would stay.

My beating, pulsing heart.