Status: Completed

Heartless Reaper

Eighteen

By now, I have thought about my past and how I was.
I remember the first time I was created; I fought with Alpha a lot and the rest… Alpha and I were the strongest.
We were faster and took more lives than any other reaper.
I remember taking the souls from the humans, it felt refreshing and made me oh so more powerful.
I remember waiting for them to die, for their life to finally slip away.
Hospitals used to be my favorite place to wait for death to come, and then I would take them and use them.
Use them for my own thirst then serve them to Death to take care of.
I was out of control.
We all were.
Then I met Elizabeth. She was a little girl at the age of 7 and could barely walk on her own.
She was sick and dying.
I came to her and waited in the background for her, blending with my surroundings… But for some odd reason, she could still see me.
“I’m Elizabeth, what’s your name?” she had asked me, her small, big, blue eyes staring weakly at me.
I remember looking around, seeing if there was anyone near me.
There wasn’t.
“My name is not important,” I said coldly, wishing it wasn’t against the rules to take her life already.
“Are you here to wish me a safe journey?” she asked.
I was then confused, “A safe journey?”
I knew I shouldn’t be talking to her; I will have to take her life at the last minute and getting to know the human is bad luck.
“To Heaven,” she whispered, smiling at the thought of it.
I remembered how we talked all night. I found out about her life and found how sweet she was and how special.
When I knew she was close to dying, I was ready to take her life.
I placed my hands on her and was about to do so until she spoke.
“Are you here to take me to Heaven? Do you think I can stay here a little more? My mommy won’t be happy once I’m gone,” she whispered, her voice weaker than ever, but still held that love in it.
That was when I changed, when I felt too guilty to take her life.
I didn’t know what I was feeling, but I felt it pounding through my head telling me it’s wrong to take her life when she has so much to live for.
It was all because she saw me when she wasn’t supposed to.
“My name is Peri,” I had told her, “I am here to save you.”
That was the first time I saved a life and took the sickening death away from her to give her life again.
I felt better, I felt good, and I felt way more powerful than I ever did when I took life away from humans.
I then shared it with the other reapers; took them to little Elizabeth and their hearts were tugged by her beautiful round eyes and how she talked to us like we were the most natural and best things in the world.
We all changed by meeting Elizabeth and her loving heart; changed for the better I always say.
I stayed with Elizabeth. I was always with her, blending with my surroundings where no one saw me but her.
Her parents thought of her as a little bit delusional how she told them about me, but once she was older, I showed myself to everyone.
I wasn’t an imaginary friend anymore and I was part of their family.
Elizabeth was my first friend and I stayed with her until she died; not because of that damned illness, but because she lived a long life.
She never complained how I always looked young when she was old; she accepted it. She always said I was special and her guardian angel.
When she died, I felt accomplished.
I wandered the Earth giving life to the deserving and taking life from those who don’t.
All of us reapers did.
Death wasn’t pleased, he was angry.
“You are reapers! You’re created to give me the souls of the dead! Not let them live!” Death has hissed.
We denied him, saying how we wanted to give humans a chance if they deserve it.
When Death created the new mindless reapers, we were balanced as we gave life and they gave death.
They were the white eyed reapers while we were the purple eyed.
They were the grim reapers while we became angels on Earth.
They were the misery while we were the miracles.
It angered Death, but he never bothered to get after us until now.
That was what almost killed Jacob.
All the new made memories of him ran through my head.
I didn’t mean to get so attached or stay so long. I only meant to save a life; Bella’s life.
But it turned to be such a long stay where I then met the Cullens and grew even more attached to the town called Forks.
I then remembered that Jacob loves Bella, not only me.
Yeah, I do believe he loves me, but I also know he still loves Bella. You can’t just snap out of love that quickly.
I bet he would spend time with her more if I wasn’t always in the way…
That’s it. I will stay out of his way!
Wow, I have way too much time on my hands. How long have I been like this?
“Peri.”
Was that a voice?
“Peri?”
There it is again. Where is it coming from? My mind? The outside world?
“Peri!”
Hello? I hear you!
“PERI!”
I gasped as my eyes snapped open. My head pounding as it ached and my energy low.
My body was freezing I noticed and I gasped out wildly, flailing my arms out and feeling numb from not moving for a while.
“Oh fuck,” I groaned.
I finally looked around and saw the Cullens surrounding me.
“What?” I asked at their happy, but surprised stares.
I looked around and saw I was in my bed and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Why are they staring like that?
I then remembered what happened and jumped up, but only to fall to the floor on my knees.
Carlisle was the one who helped me up and back into bed.
“Is Jacob Black okay?” I asked first.
“He’s fine; we’re just worried about you, Peri,” said Carlisle, smiling softly.
“Why? What happened to me? Am I okay?” I then asked, looking at me and making sure everything look correct.
I looked fine.
“You’re perfectly fine, but it seemed you were in a coma state,” said Carlisle, his topaz eyes looking at me.
“How long was I out?” I asked.
“About 15 days,” said Esme.
I gasped, “But that’s impossible! I shouldn’t even be able to get into a coma!” I exclaimed, getting back up.
“Don’t,” said Carlisle, pushing me back down gently, “You’re too exhausted. Rosalie and Alice are downstairs making you some food.”
I huffed out like a child and nodded.
I then looked around one more time to see Emmett missing.
“Where’s Emmett?”
“He went out for a walk. He said he didn’t like seeing you laying there looking lifeless so he wanted to go out for a small walk,” said Rosalie, holding a large tray full of food.
I smiled gratefully and took it, “Thank you Rosalie.”
“Not a problem,” she said, smiling back.
“But… Lifeless? How bad did I look?” I asked.
“Your eyes were a dull black and you weren’t breathing or moving at all. Emmett carried you here and Carlisle tried to help, but there was nothing he could do. So we laid you here and we all checked up on you every hour.”
“Who was calling my name?”
“I was,” answered Alice, sitting on the side of my bed, “I saw you moving and I thought you must be waking up.”
“Well thanks. I think if you didn’t do that, I would have been stuck thinking for the rest of my life,” I shivered.
“What were you seeing in your coma?” asked Carlisle.
“Nothing but blackness; I could only think to myself. I thought about a lot of things,” I said thoughtfully.
“Interesting,” muttered Carlisle, looking thoughtfully at me.
“Where’s my friends? The reapers?” I asked.
“They went out. They said ‘to do their business’,” said Alice.
“Ah, okay,” I said; they must be waiting together somewhere without anyone around.
“So what do you think caused the coma?”
I shrugged, “I have no idea. But I think it was caused by the imprint connection.”
“Emmett told us about that. He said you couldn’t hear him when he called your name and you wouldn’t move even when he tried pulling you away,” said Rosalie.
I frowned, “I wouldn’t know. I just knew I was burning and my senses all gone… I then awoke to the black abyss. It was strange. I’ve never been through such a thing before.”
“Maybe you should talk to Billy Black to learn more about imprinting,” suggested Carlisle.
I nodded, “First I want to see Jacob Black; the last time I saw him, he was dying.”
The Cullens didn’t object as I ate quickly and soon got up to leave.
I said my goodbyes and ran towards the La Push reservations, ready to see Billy Black and ask him where Jacob was.
As I arrived the reservation, I was tackled by something unknown.
“What the hell?” I whispered before wrapping my arms around the stranger and pushing it away.
“Peri! It’s me! Embry!” the stranger shouted.
I looked closely and saw it was indeed Embry.
“Embry! You can’t scare me like that and tackle me out of nowhere!” I shouted.
Embry grinned sheepishly, “It was a tackle hug and you should’ve known it was me!”
I smiled and rolled my eyes, “Sorry, but I’m a little out of it.”
“No worries; I’m not hurt by that push,” he said, flexing his muscles.
I chuckled, “Impressive, Em.”
Embry winked and pulled me up on his back, “Where to?!”
“Billy Black’s house,” I laughed.
Embry placed me down and frowned, “Are you looking for Jake?”
I was suddenly afraid, “Yes?”
“He’s at Bella’s house returning the motorcycle.”
“Oh,” I said bitterly.
“So are you going?”
“Yeah. I really want to see Jacob Black,” I muttered.
“Alright. I’ll see you later, chicky, okay?” he hugged me tightly.
I hugged him back than ran straight to Bella’s house.
“Jacob Black!” I exclaimed when I saw him next to a motorcycle and speaking with an angry looking man with a mustache.
“Peri?!” said Jacob, surprised as he saw me running towards him.
I looked up at the boy and nodded, “It’s good to see that you’re okay.”
“You’re awake?” he said, dumbfounded.
I nodded again, “Yes.”
For some odd reason, I was angry at Jacob.
Suddenly I heard Edward and Bella at a distance.
“No! Why? Why would Jacob do this to me?” I heard Bella gasp.
Her voice was full of betrayal; all thanks to Jacob I bet.
I turned to Jacob, “What did you do to Bella?”
“Ma’am, he’s done nothing but telling me the truth,” said the angry man, “And you should stay out of this.”
“Charlie, it’s okay. She’s my friend and Bella’s,” Jacob reassured, “She knows what’s going on.”
Charlie huffed, looking at the approaching car.
“Sorry sir,” I mumbled.
“It’s not you I’m mad at,” Charlie said.
Jacob then walked forward to a tree and I followed him without a word.
“Is he still here?” I heard Bella hiss.
“Yes. He’s waiting for us there,” Edward replied to her.
I looked around, trying to find them.
“Let me go! I’m going to murder him! Traitor!” Bella shouted.
I’m sure Charlie heard that.
Jacob sure did and he looked unsure, but then his face turned blank of emotion.
“Charlie will hear you and once he gets you inside, he may brick the doorway,” Edward said.
“Just give me one round with Jacob, and then I’ll deal with Charlie.”
“Jacob Black wants to see me. That’s why he’s still here.”
I looked at Jacob, surprised, but Jacob made no motion to look at me.
“Talk?” I heard Bella say.
“More or less.”
“How much more?”
“Don’t worry, he’s not here to fight me. He’s acting as… Spokesperson for the pack.”
“Oh.”
I finally spotted Bella and Edward walking slowly towards us.
“We should hurry. Charlie’s getting impatient,” Edward said.
I turned to see Charlie indeed looked impatient as he stared at Bella and Edward.
Jacob casually was leaning against a tree, his face was cold; wearing a mask.
I frowned as I watched the oncoming fight.
Jacob leaned forward, his fists trembling as he glared at Edward.
“Bella,” he said, nodding, but still looking at Edward.
“Why? How could you do this to me, Jacob?”
“It’s for the best.”
“What is that supposed to mean? Do you want Charlie to strangle me? Or did you want him to have a heart attack, like Harry? No matter how mad you are at me, how could you do this to him?” Bella said angrily.
Jacob flinched, but stayed quiet.
“He didn’t want to hurt anyone, he just wanted to get you grounded, so that you wouldn’t be allowed to spend time with me,” Edward said, reading Jacob’s mind.
Jacob glared at Edward.
“Aw, Jake! I’m already grounded! Why do you think I haven’t been down to La Push to kick your butt for avoiding my phone calls?”
Jacob suddenly looked confused, “That’s why?” he asked, but then clamped his mouth shut and looked angry at himself.
“He thought that I wouldn’t let you, not Charlie,” Edward said.
“Stop that,” hissed Jacob.
Edward didn’t answer.
“Bella wasn’t exaggerating about your… Abilities. So you must already know why I’m here,” he said through clenched teeth.
“Yes. But, before you begin, I need to say something.”
Jacob trembled as he waited.
“Thank you,” Edward started, his voice full of sincerity, “I will never be able to tell you how grateful I am. I will owe you for the rest of my… Existence.”
Damn, that’s a long time. Edward sure hasn’t been there for Bella, huh?
Jacob stared at Edward blankly, surprised was on his face and he looked at Bella for a second.
“For keeping Bella alive,” Edward clarified, “When I… Didn’t.”
“Edward,” Bella said, but Edward held up his hand.
Jacob finally understood and turned cold again, “I didn’t do it for your benefit.”
“I know. But that doesn’t erase the gratitude I feel. I thought you should know. If there’s ever anything in my power to do for you…”
Jacob raised an eyebrow at Edward’s statement.
“That’s not in my power,” Edward said.
“Whose, then?”
Edward looked lovingly at Bella, “Hers. I’m a quick learner, Jacob Black, and I don’t make the same mistake twice. I’m here until she orders me away.”
I felt jealousy shake through me at Jacob, but I hid it and continued watching.
“Never,” Bella murmured, her eyes locked with Edwards.
Jacob made a gagging sound.
“Was there something else you needed, Jacob? You wanted me in trouble, mission accomplished. Charlie might just send me to military school. But that won’t keep me away from Edward. There’s nothing that can do that. What more do you want?” Bella said.
Jacob had his eyes on Edward, “I just needed to remind your bloodsucking friends of a few key points in the treaty they agreed to. The treaty is the only thing stopping me from ripping his throat out right this minute.”
“We haven’t forgotten,” Edward said just as Bella said, “What key points?”
“The treaty is quite specific. If any of them bite a human, the truce is over. Bite, not kill,” Jacob said, looking at Bella hard.
Bella’s face turned just as cold, “That’s none of your business.”
“The hell it is,” Jacob spat out.
Jacob was shaking very hard, closing his eyes tight and holding his fists to his temple.
I grew worried and took a step forward.
“Jake? You okay?” Bella asked, suddenly worried.
She took a step forward, but Edward pulled her back, “Careful! He’s not under control!”
I approached Jacob and wrapped my arms around his shaking frame.
“Jacob Black, calm down or else you’ll hurt Bella,” I said, using her to try to get sense into his head.
Jacob nodded and pushed me away, his arms only shaking now, “Ugh. I would never hurt her.”
“BELLA!” Charlie’s shout was heard, “You get in this house this instant!”
We all froze, listening to the silence.
“Crap,” Bella said fearfully.
“I am sorry about that,” Jacob apologized, “I had to do what I could, I had to try…”
“Thanks,” Bella said sarcastically.
“Just one more thing,” Edward said, “We’ve found no trace of Victoria on our side of the line, have you?”
“The last time was while Bella was… Away. We let her think she was slipping through; we were tightening the circle, getting ready to ambush her. But then she took off like a bat out of hell. Near as we can tell, she caught your little female’s scent and bailed. She hasn’t come near our lands since,” Jacob answered gravely.
I almost gasped; that evil Victoria’s back.
Edward nodded, “When she comes back, she’s not your problem anymore. We’ll…”
“She killed on our turf. She’s ours!”
“BELLA! I SEE HIS CAR AND I KNOW YOU’RE OUT THERE! IF YOU AREN’T INSIDE THIS HOUSE IN ONE MINUTE…!” Charlie didn’t even finished his threat when Edward said, “Let’s go.”
Bella looked sad as she looked at Jacob.
“Sorry,” he whispered, “Bye, Bells.”
“You promised. Still friend, right?” she said desperately.
Jacob shook his head, “You know how hard I’ve tried to keep that promise, but… I can’t see how to keep trying. Not now…” he said, trying to keep the hard mask, but it faltered.
Jacob reached out his hand, his fingers spread as if he wished they could reach Bella, “Miss you.”
“Me too,” Bella choked out, her hand also reaching out, but not reaching his.
The pain was clear and it mocked me.
“Jake…” Bella took a step forward but Edward pulled her back. “It’s okay,” Bella promised.
“No, it’s not,” said Edward.
“Let her go! She wants to!” snarled Jacob, marching forward and shuddering.
Edward stood in front of Bella, ready to fight.
“No! Edward!” Bella shouted.
“ISABELLA SWAN!”
“Come on! Charlie’s mad! Hurry!” Bella said, tugging at Edward.
Jacob watched them retreat; his anger clear but then it disappeared. His face turned into pain and his misery was in his eyes.
When the two disappeared, Jacob turned to me.
“Peri,” he said, his voice a soft whisper and full of agony.
I felt anger towards Jacob, my eyes were probably blazing purple, but I had to comfort him.
“It’ll be okay, Jacob Black,” I murmured as I pulled him into my arms and hugged him tightly.
I would deal with Jacob later when he isn’t already in so much pain.
We both slid to the floor where I held him firmly in my arms with his head on my chest.
I sat their comforting him as he silently cried as he lost the girl he loved to none other than his enemy, Edward Cullen.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize if the quoting from the book is wrong, but I don't have my copy of New Moon... So I had to get it from another source that doesn't seem correct. Ah well, this chapter is long because of it, but hope you enjoy anyway. [: Thank you readers!