Status: Completed

Heartless Reaper

Twenty-Three

I slept over Jacob Black’s house for then I could go to the school with him.
We rode on his motorcycle and I got to hold him around his waist the whole ride, which was pretty nice.
He was warm.
“We’re almost there, okay? I’m going to be trying hard to keep in control, but I’m very angry at the leech,” Jacob Black told me.
“You don’t seem angry now,” I said.
“It’s because I don’t see him and I’m with you,” he replied.
I smiled and when we arrived the school and parked on the sidewalk, I was picked up off the bike and placed on the ground by the boy.
Jacob Black then leaned against his black motorcycle and put on his mask of calm, folding his arms and looking forward at the school parking lot waiting for Bella and Edward to come.
I noticed students staring and making sure to stay out of the way, giving him a large amount of space and fear was held in their eyes at the large looking man, though he’s still only a boy.
I saw them immediately in the grey Volvo and knew Edward would be furious that Jacob Black was here.
“If I asked you to do something, would you trust me?” I heard Edward ask Bella.
“That depends,” Bella replied.
“I was afraid you would say that.”
I guess Edward really hates Jacob Black…
“I want you to stay in the car. I want you to wait here until I come back for you,” Edward said.
“But… Why?”
I saw Bella’s eyes staring directly at Jacob Black’s tall figure and her eyes flickered to me for a brief moment.
“Oh.”
Yes Bella, oh.
I wondered what Bella was feeling by seeing Jacob Black finally in front of her…
Jealousy raged through me, but I held it in and folded my arms like Jacob Black.
“You jumped to the wrong conclusion last night. He asked about school because he knew that I would be where you were. He was looking for a safe place to talk to me. A place with witnesses,” Edward murmured.
“I’m not staying in the car,” Bella stated.
“Of course not. Well, let’s get this over with,” sighed Edward.
I watched as Edward and Bella exited the car and approached us with their hands entwined.
Edward’s golden eyes looked at me for a minute and he gave a small smile, knowing I wasn’t here for reasons like Jacob Black.
I gave a small smile back and watched as Edward’s face turned hard, “You could have called us,” he said coldly.
“Sorry, I don’t have any leeches on my speed dial,” sneered Jacob Black.
I rolled my eyes mentally.
“You could have reached me at Bella’s house, of course,” Edward replied
I looked at Jacob Black, seeing his jaw clench, but he didn’t answer.
“This is hardly the place, Jacob. Could we discuss this later?”
“Sure, sure. I’ll stop by your crypt after school,” Jacob said, “What’s wrong with now?”
Edward obviously looked around the area, looking at the students who were watching and looking like they wanted a fight to break out.
“I already know what you came to say. Message delivered. Consider us warned,” Edward said.
I was suddenly confused to what was going on.
“Warned? What are you talking about?” asked Bella.
“You didn’t tell her?” asked Jacob, “What, were you afraid she’d take our side?”
“Please drop it, Jacob,” Edward said evenly.
“Why?”
Bella was confused, “What don’t I know? Edward?”
“Jake?”
Jacob Black looked towards Bella, “He didn’t tell you that his big… Brother crossed the line Saturday night?” he said lowly, then looked towards Edward. “Paul was totally justified in…”
“It was no-man’s land!” Edward growled.
“Was not!” Jacob said angrily, losing his cool and shaking softly.
I placed my hand gently on his shoulder, digging my fingers into his shirt reminding him to calm down.
“Emmett and Paul?” Bella whispered, “What happened? Were they fighting? Why? Did Paul get hurt?”
Edward took Bella away to keep her safe, but Edward didn’t tell her?
“No one fought. No one got hurt. Don’t be anxious,” Edward told Bella quietly.
“You didn’t tell her anything at all, did you? Is that why you took her away? So she wouldn’t know that…?”
“Leave now,” Edward said, his face hard and frightening as he glared at his enemy.
“Why have you told her?”
Bella then started gasping out for air.
“She came back for me,” Bella choked out.
I almost slapped myself; we haven’t told the Cullens!
“It’s fine,” Edward whispered to Bella, holding her, “It’s fine. I’ll never let her get close to you, it’s fine… Does that answer your question, mongrel?”
Jacob spoke before I could, “You don’t think Bella has a right to know? It’s her life.”
“Why should she be frightened when she was never in danger?” Edward whispered.
I went up to tell Edward about Victoria, but Jacob’s arm wrapped around my shoulders and I glared up at him as he looked down at me with a small pleading stare.
He then looked back at Edward, “Better frightened than lied to.”
Bella was shaking with fear, her eyes tearing up and Edward wiped away her tears, “Do you really think hurting her is better than protecting her?”
“She’s tougher than you think and she’s been through worse,” Jacob said.
Jacob suddenly started looking at Edward with an odd expression and furrowed his brow in though, suddenly Edward was cringing in pain.
“That’s funny,” laughed Jacob, staring at Edward.
That’s not funny, Jacob Black!
“What are you doing to him?” Bella demanded.
“It’s nothing, Bella. Jacob just has a good memory, that’s all,” Edward said softly.
I glared up at Jacob; he must have been thinking about the times where Bella was unhappy since Edward left.
I then stepped between them and glared at Jacob, “You’re being very mean, Jacob and you’re hurting Bella!”
Jacob looked at me with surprise.
I turned to look at Edward with soft eyes, then looked at Bella, “Bella, don’t be fearful anymore for Victoria, she is dead. My friend and I killed her this morning and it was such an easy task. She won’t be causing you trouble anymore,” I told her softly, smiling.
Bella sighed out, “Did you really, Peri?”
I nodded, “Take the bad thoughts out, Bella, she’s gone.”
Bella abruptly hugged me and I was shocked, my eyes wide and I looked at Edward; he was smiling and looking at me gratefully.
“Thank you so much, Peri. You’ve already done so much for me like saving my life and now you’re doing even more,” she whispered to me.
I hugged her back, my eyes still wide, “It’s always a pleasure saving people, my friend,” I told her.
She pulled away with a smile and she looked as if a weight has been lifted off her shoulders.
I had to say Bella looked much better now that the fear was out of her system.
Edward then approached me and placed his hand on my shoulder, his topaz eyes gazing into my violet eyes.
“I still cannot thank you enough for all that you have done for us,” he murmured, “No words that I can say will express how thankful I am. I am deep in this debt to you and if you ever need anything, just call me and I will do whatever I can.”
I smiled, “You already do enough, Edward. Your family has been taking amazing care of me and helping me fight alongside with me.”
Edward shook his head, “That’s still not enough. Whatever you need, Peri… Thank you so much,” he said.
Edward then pulled away, his cold touch gone and his eyes on Jacob, “The principal’s on his way to discourage loitering on school property. Let’s get to English, Bella, so you’re not involved.”
Jacob was looking at me for a little before he looked at Bella, “Overprotective, isn’t he? A little trouble makes life fun. Let me guess, you’re not allowed to have fun, are you?”
Edward glared at Jacob, his lips pulled back revealing his teeth.
“Oh stop this!” I hissed, “Jacob, back off, will you?”
“Shut up, Jake,” Bella said in agreement.
Jacob laughed, “That sounds like a no. Hey, if you ever feel like having a life again, you could come see me. I’ve still got your motorcycle in my garage,” he said.
“You were supposed to sell that. You promised Charlie you would,” Bella said.
“Yeah, right. Like I would do that. It belongs to you, not me. Anyway, I ‘ll hold on to it until you want it back,” Jacob said, with a smile.
“Jake…”
Jacob Black leaned forward towards Bella, “I think I might have been wrong before, you know, about not being able to be friends. Maybe we could manage it, on my side of the line. Come see me.”
I felt the jealousy hit me, but when I looked at Jacob, he looked sincere on just being friends and I saw no hint of love in his eyes for Bella Swan.
Edward had his arm wrapped around Bella and he patiently waited for Jacob to leave.
“I, er, don’t know about that, Jake.”
Jacob Black’s calm mask was gone and his face was sad, “I miss you every day, Bella. It’s not the same without you.”
I gripped Jacob Black’s motorcycle, not hard enough to damage it, but hard enough to slightly dig my nails into the metal.
“I know and I’m sorry, Jake, I just…”
He sighed, “I know. Doesn’t matter, right? I guess I’ll survive or something. Who needs friends?”
I then didn’t care about the motorcycle then and dug my nails deeper, hearing it screech in protest.
Jacob and Bella weren’t paying attention, but Edward looked at me with a sad frown.
“Okay, get to class. Move along, Mr. Crowley,” said a stern voice.
“Get to school, Jake,” Bella whispered.
Edward released Bella and took her hand, pulling the girl behind him.
“I mean it,” the voice said, “Detention for anyone who’s still standing here when I turn around again.”
The crowd rushed to get into school by then.
“Ah, Mr. Cullen. Do we have a problem here?”
“Not at all, Mr. Greene. We were just on our way to class,” said Edward calmly.
“Excellent. I don’t seem to recognize your friends,” Mr. Greene turned to glare at Jacob and I, “Are you new students here?”
“Nope,” Jacob answered, smirking.
I calmly shook my head, still digging my hand into the bike.
“Then I suggest you remove yourself from school property at once, young man, before I call the police. That goes for you too, ma’am.”
Jacob Black was grinning and mocking, “Yes, sir,” he said with a military salute as he climbed on his bike.
He waited for me to hop on, but I didn’t want to go with him right now.
“I’ll deal with you later,” I murmured, walking away from the school and Jacob.
Jacob Black gave me a confused look, but drove off.
I smiled softly as he left. At least I knew he didn’t love Bella anymore.
Once Mr. Greene’s attention was away from me, I camouflaged into the background and walked back towards Bella and Edward.
“Mr. Cullen, I expect you to ask your friends to refrain from trespassing again, especially that man.”
“He’s no friend of mine, Mr. Greene, but I’ll pass along the warning.”
Mr. Greene nodded, “I see. If you’re worried about any trouble, I’d be happy to…”
“There’s nothing to worry about, Mr. Greene. There won’t be any trouble.”
“I hope that’s correct. Well, then. On to class. You, too, Miss Swan.”
Edward nodded and pulled Bella towards the building.
I followed them and Edward turned to look back, but immediately looked forward, a confused look on his face.
“Do you feel well enough to go to class,” he whispered to Bella.
“Yes,” she replied.
I followed them into the classroom and watched as they took their seats.
I immediately stood between them and placed my hand gently on Edward’s shoulder, “I’m right here next to you, Edward,” I barely whispered.
Edward nodded, placing his hand gently over mine with a small pat.
I smiled and pulled away.
Bella had taken out a piece of paper and started scribbling hard on it.
I read what was on it.
What happened? Tell me everything and screw the protecting me crap, please.
I smiled and took the paper, stopping the pass to Edward.
I moved closer to Bella and started whispering to her what had happened.
“Bella, I’m right here next to you. Don’t look at me, I’m not there. I’ll explain myself what has happened.”
I stared explaining to Bella the side reason why she was taken to see her mother and how the chase ended with Victoria; Emmett going onto the land of the shifters. Paul, of course, immediately attacked and suddenly there was small trouble to be calmed. I told her that it was easy to fix and then I started mentioning the fight with the reapers.
“No one got hurt and we took care of it easily. The best part is that you are in no danger with the white eyed reapers, but it is my fault for bringing them to your town, Bella. I’m sorry for that.”
I then finished off with how Alpha and I went to hunt Victoria on her own and ended her life easily.
Bella nodded softly, glad to have everything explained properly and probably still relieved about the news that Victoria was gone.
I then let Edward and Bella start sending notes to each other and I remembering seeing Bella talk about some plane crash…
“Peri,” whispered Edward once class was done.
I turned to him and heard him say, “May you accompany Bella towards her next class instead of following me?”
I didn’t know how he knew I was going to follow him for the rest of the day, but I murmured a yes and followed Bella to a class called Calculus.
Bella sat down and I stood next to her with my hand on her shoulder the whole class.
I think she didn’t mind.
She then turned to this group of kids who were talking about this morning’s events.
“My money’s on the big Indian,” someone said.
“Yeah, did you see the size of that Jacob kid? I think he could take Cullen down,” said another, pleased by the idea.
“I don’t think so,” one disagreed, “There’s something about Edward; he’s always so… Confident. I have a feeling he can take care of himself.”
“I’m with Ben. Besides, if that other kid messed Edward up, you know those big brothers of his would get involved,” a kid said.
“Have you been to La Push lately? Lauren and I went to the beach a couple of weeks ago, and believe me, Jacob’s friends are all just as big as he is.”
“Well how about that girl?” one said.
I straightened up and focused more on what they were saying.
“What about that girl?”
“Remember when she stepped between them and glared at the both of them without any kind of fear? And how about the respect they held in their eyes for her? I think she was sure she was stronger than both of them.”
Everyone laughed but the one who suggested it.
“A girl defeating those two? I don’t think so. Did you see how small she was compared to that Jacob kid?”
I suddenly felt very much underestimated, but I rolled my eyes.
Humans, what do they know?
“Huh. Too bad it didn’t turn into anything. Guess we’ll never know how it would have turned out,” one of them said.
“It didn’t look over to me. Maybe we’ll get to see.”
“Anyone in the mood for a bet?”
“Ten on Jacob.”
“Ten on Cullen.”
“Ten on Edward.”
“Jacob.”
“Hey, do you guys know what it was about? That might affect the odds.”
“I can guess,” said one of the kids, glancing towards Bella’s directions.
Each of them then looked, but realized that Bella was in hearing distance and quickly looked away.
“I still say Jacob,” the same boy looking at Bella muttered.
Bella sighed out and looked at where she thought I was, which wasn’t where I was at all.
“Are you okay, Bella?” I asked.
She nodded, “I just wish they could just get along someday,” she mumbled.
“Don’t worry they will, I just know it,” I replied back.
The rest of the day, Bella had her classes with Edward and I followed them quietly the whole day.
Once it was the end of school, I got a ride from Alice to take me back to the Cullens house.
“You really did something great for us,” said Emmett as I entered the house.
I smiled and gave him a big hug, “It was no biggie, guys.”
“Especially for Bella, she’s been worried sick about Victoria,” said Alice, nodding in agreement.
“Well I’m glad I’ve taken the worry off of your shoulders, but there is a problem about Death sending out his reapers…” I mumbled off nervously.
“We’ll help you no matter what with that situation,” said Emmett.
I grinned, “Thanks guys.”
Emmett then took me upstairs where we hung out in my room and Emmett interrogated me of the time I went to see the pack.
“Did you see that mutt?” he asked.
I nodded, suddenly blushing and feeling guilty.
“What happened?” Emmett asked softly with sad eyes, seeing my blush.
“I… I kissed him, Emmett,” I replied calmly.
I saw Emmett’s jaw flex and his eyes turn darker, but he calmly said, “Oh?”
I nodded, “I’m sorry, Emmett. It just… Happened, I guess.”
“It’s okay,” he said through his teeth.
I placed my hand on his cheek and looked into his eyes, “I love you both, okay? I’m still trying to decide who to choose; it’s just really hard for me.”
Emmett nodded, leaning into my hand.
I actually said it…
I admitted that I love him and love Jacob out loud!
I smiled and press my lips to Emmett’s, feeling his cold lips against my warm ones felt amazing.
Emmett immediately kissed back, pushing me down on the bed and biting my bottom lip hard.
I gasped, but didn’t pull away and slipped my tongue into his icy mouth to dance with his own tongue.
The kiss was cold, but hot and full of passion.
More passion that it did with Jacob Black, but maybe it’s because Jacob Black doesn’t know that I can admit I love him and was being careful.
Maybe…
This still doesn’t help with who I love more, but maybe…
I pulled away and smile at Emmett, rubbing my thumb over his dimple as he smiled back.
“Emmett…” I whispered.
“Yes, Peri?”
“I’ve… I’ve chosen.”
It was later in the night and I had asked Jacob Black to come to the treaty line for he can hear that I’ve chosen.
I’ve also brought Emmett and together, they both glared at each other as they stood so close, yet separated by that invisible line.
“Jacob Black… Emmett… I have finally chosen who I love the most,” I said softly, “I’m sorry to the one who will be heart broken, but you both knew one of you would be…”
I laughed bitterly, “I wish it didn’t have to come to this! Jacob Black, I finally accepted to love and after so much thinking of time, I’ve finally decided who I love more.
“Please don’t fight, please just accept the outcome and be the man you are and walk away. We’ll always stay friends…”
I turned towards the man who made me feel like I did have a heart to love and smiled up at him, “I choose you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! I've updated quicker than I've expected. Well here it comes. O . o She's finally decided who she wanted to be with! Thank you commenters for your recent comments. ^^ I'm glad you're enjoying the story still. Heartless Reaper will end in a few chapters; I'm still not sure how many chapters left, but I know I'm trying to end it soon. I'm debating whether to write another Twilight fan fiction, but what do you guys think?