Status: Completed

Heartless Reaper

Twenty-Six

I said my last farewell to Alpha and the gang.
We all hugged and I made sure to tell them the plan that I had in mind.
They wished me luck and hoped it would work.
“Death will soon forget us like he always does in the end, so just keep on running and don’t stop. Don’t ever stop,” I told them.
That was only five minutes ago and now I ran forward to check upon Jacob and Bella, hoping they were still there.
I had to warn everyone, but I’m not taking them to face my father.
I would never put them in danger like that.
“Jacob!” I yelled, seeing him and Bella sitting on a log together, talking about who knows what.
He looked up immediately with a big grin on his face, but it fell when he saw my face.
“What’s wrong?” asked Jacob as I crashed into him.
Bella was also alert who was standing next to Jacob looking a tad awkward.
“He’s coming,” I cried, fear clogging my throat.
“Who’s coming, Peri?” he said urgently.
“Death.”
And he understood immediately what that meant and he grabbed me closer to him, his arms holding me tightly.
“I won’t let him hurt you,” he said.
I laughed, pulling away and grabbing my head, my eyes wide with fear, “You won’t let him hurt me? You have no chance against him! No one does! He’s Death for fuck’s sake! Dammit! We’re in a shitload of trouble!”
Jacob and Bella were silent, maybe because of all the language I used or because of my emotions getting out of my control.
“You have to leave Forks, just for a little while,” I whispered, trying to calm down.
“I’m not leaving you.”
I grabbed Jacob’s shirt, almost picking him up off his feet, “You’re not staying here.”
“Bella,” I said, turning to her, “Go to Edward, I’ll meet you there.”
The girl nodded, getting up and running to her truck.
Jacob’s dark eyes were on me as I turned back to him, my hands still on the soft cloth of his shirt.
“Get the rest of your pack and get out. I don’t care how much you want to stay to try protecting me, but I won’t be able to live with myself if you die,” I hissed, pushing him down.
Jacob didn’t move and I angrily pushed him, “Go!”
I watched as Jacob got up, but instead of leaving, he grabbed me and pressed his lips against mine.
I wrapped my arms around him and ran my fingers through his soft hair as we kissed, but it had to end too soon.
I pushed him away and turned my back to him.
He finally left and I wiped my angry black tears, looking at the direction of the Cullens.
“They need to get out of here too,” I whispered, clenching my hands and looking down.
After a while, I looked back up, my breath quickening as I thought of how much danger we’re all in.
I ran towards their home to warn them.
“Alice!” I screamed once I neared the home.
Immediately the Cullen family was outside in front of their house and in front of me waiting; when my eyes saw Emmett, my fists clenched tighter.
“Bella told us,” Edward said, his arm around Bella’s shaking frame.
I nodded at Bella thankfully and she gave a small smile.
“What should we do?” Alice asked.
“Get the hell out of here,” I suggested.
“We’re not leaving you,” said Emmett.
I looked at him, his golden eyes dark, and I frowned, “I don’t want any of you to get hurt.”
“We can help you, Peri. Let us help you,” Jasper said, smiling.
“I want to help you. I owe you and you’re our family,” said Edward firmly.
The whole family nodded in agreement and I felt so touched at how determined they were and how much they already accepted me into their family.
I smiled, “Thank you guys, but…”
“But nothing, we’re going to stand by your side,” Rosalie said, smiling.
I sighed out, “I guess I can’t change your minds, but I must warn you, the shifters are most likely to help too.”
I knew my friends from La Push wouldn’t leave my side either.
The Cullens didn’t protest and, once Bella was sent home since Death would most likely leave her alone (though Bella did protest on having Edward stay), we walked forward in the forest and waited.
“Here comes the mutts,” muttered Rosalie, scrunching her nose.
I looked in her direction and saw the familiar wolves coming into our view. I smiled when I saw a certain reddish-brown wolf.
Jacob immediately leaped towards me and licked my face with his huge tongue, his whines of happiness loud.
I pushed him away softly with a grin, “You’re a silly dog.”
He growled, baring his teeth at me with playful eyes.
“Wolf,” I corrected.
Jacob nodded, satisfied. He glared at the Cullens before he sprinted back towards his pack.
I rubbed my bare arms, goose bumps rising on my skin as I felt his presence near. The fear started gnawing at my bones again and I shivered as I imagined his figure before us.
He is my father, but ever since I displeased him, he has always scared me.
I felt arms go around me and I turned to see Alice’s concerned face.
“Don’t worry, Alice, I’m fine,” I said, forcing a smile.
I heard the wolves whine and Alice rolled her eyes at me.
“We all know you’re not,” she murmured, kissing my cheek and pulling away.
I hissed between my teeth and closed my eyes, “Get ready,” I growled.
When I opened my eyes, he was already there in front of my friends and me.
“Shifters… Vampires… Not impressed.”
Death was scanning over my friends, his sunken red eyes bored. He wore a simple black cloak over his overly scrawny body. He carried his signature scythe, which hummed loudly from all the souls kept inside, destined to be taken across sooner or later.
He didn't look too impressive, he actually looked very plain and weak, but it was the obvious power he held which felt like an electric shock surrounding him, electrocuting all of us near him. It was his obvious confidence in his deep red eyes that placed shivers in you; his grinning smile full of crooked teeth from that skinned skull that you were cautious of.
He is Death.
I had to concentrate hard on not shaking and I held my head high trying to be confident while facing him.
"My dear Peri..."
His voice was a whisper; hissing, echoing, rough, and wheezing. It scared me so much to hear his voice.
Suddenly Death was in front of me, his glowing red eyes, clear of pupils, irises, or whites of his eyes.
My breath hitched in my throat; this wasn't going the way I planned.
"You are trying to fight me?" he growled and at the same time laughed devilishly. "Your... Friends will not make it out alive and you know that. Sacrificing their souls for me?"
I shivered and backed away, trying to glare at him, "No one is dying tonight."
Death laughed, this time louder. His white reapers behind him still like statues.
"Are you sure?"
I looked around, finding the Cullens cringing away and the shifters kneeling before him in fear.
"Yes," I murmured.
"Don't lie to yourself," Death whispered, almost purring. "Get them."
The white reapers were upon my friends in less than a second, their mouths open wide and ready to take their prey.
I saw the wolves were now human and they were limp in the white reapers' arms, unclothed and full of fear. The Cullens were like stones, unblinking eyes.
"I see you improved them, huh? Couldn't stand losing so much reapers?" I hissed, trying to pretend that everything was still okay and that I still had a chance.
Death's eyes were patient, "With one word, your friends could die," he reminded me.
"Kill them, but you know you can't."
"And why not?" he chuckled quietly.
"I am bounded to that boy right there," I said, pointing to Jacob. "And I'm bounded to him."
I now pointed at Emmett.
"And...?" Death didn't care.
"I'm bounded to all of them! They are my family! You have rules, Death, rules you cannot break. I am an imprint of that boy and you cannot kill me when I'm bounded! When I'm bounded to a witch or sorcerer, you cannot kill me then because they own me and not you! You can't kill who has me bounded because that is killing me!" I nearly screamed.
Death always follows rules, but I knew he could break them... With just a word.
He started chuckling loudly, his bottomless red eyes amused and his grin bigger, "I suppose you are right, but I do object to the others."
"You cannot take a soul unless they're near death," I whispered, my confidence falling.
"Those vampire are already dead. Who cares if they go?"
“The humans will know they’re missing.”
“Why would I care if the humans know?”
“You just came here to taunt me, to try to fool me. You’ve already lost,” I snarled loudly, my voice echoing throughout the forest.
It was silent except for the white reapers heavy and hungry panting over my friends’ mouths.
Death grinned widely and I cringed back.
His scrawny hands clapped together, “A job well done, Peri. You do know how to defend the ones you… Love,” he said the word with disgust and hatred. “I will let go of your shifters, but the vampires are mine.”
“Fine,” I said. “Kill the vampires!”
He seemed surprise at my surrender.
I sneered, “But that means I will always give any dying soul their life back. I will search the world for a dying soul and rekindle their fire! But if you let them live, I swear upon my life that I will never give life again.”
And I knew then that I had Death just like I wanted.
“Bargaining with me, little girl?” he murmured.
I smirked, “You could never resist a bargain.”
“It would be nice to have one less reaper to worry about… My lovely Peri, you have my word that I will not kill your shifters or vampires. But if you dare try to give life to any of them or any other living creature on Earth, I will hunt everyone you love down and I will make sure I destroy you painfully. You’ll regret ever giving life.”
And he was gone.
I ran to my friends and helped each of them up, smiling as I did because I knew we were safe.
“Peri…” Jacob said.
I ran to him, ignoring his naked flesh, and hugged him tightly, “I’m so fucking glad you’re okay!”
His arms wrapped around me, “I’m glad that you’re okay.”
I pulled away from Jacob and looked around, seeing the loving faces of my friends… My family; the shifters and the vampires.
I didn’t care that I couldn’t give life anymore. It didn’t matter to me, not when I had Jacob, the shifters, and the Cullens in my life.
The reaper in me didn’t seem a big part of me anymore…
I smiled widely and hugged my friends.
Everything was going to be okay.
♠ ♠ ♠
51,874 words

What an awful ending right? I had to just push it out there to where it's short, not the way I planned, and blah! I just felt so terrible... I mean, it's been MONTHS since I last updated. :S I didn't mean to, I was just always so busy. School is getting harder for me and I've just been piled under work after work. Then sports! Whoo! First it was cross country taking up my time, then basketball, and now it's track. Let me tell you, track is fucking hard! xD Anyway, at least it's finished. Done. Yay. I'm definitely not posting another story up until I have many chapters pre-written... I'm currently writing another Twilight Fan Fiction. This time it's with Edward Cullen because it just fits better, though I'm not a big fan of him, honestly. He's still coolio, though. So if interesting, keep an eye open. xD Maybe it'll come out in a few years. *Cough.*