Status: Completed

Heartless Reaper

Six

Sunlight slowly crept into the room and I opened my eyes, feeling sleep escape me.
Jacob was already up and off the couch, pacing in the tiny living room with his brow furrowed and his lips in a long frown.
“Are you okay?” I yawned groggily, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.
“Yes… No,” he growled.
“What’s up?” I asked, sitting straight up and my eyes following Jacob’s figure striding back and forth in jerky movements.
“It’s that damn bloodsucker,” Jacob hissed, his dark eyes glaring at me full of hatred for the vampire.
“You’re worried about Bella,” I stated, sensing his emotions.
He looked at me, his eyes guilty for an unknown reason, “I want to check on her… Make sure she’s safe.”
“Then why don’t you?”
Jacob hesitated for a second then turned around, not facing me, “Can you come with me, Peri?”
I was glad he asked… I felt jealous at the thought of Jacob and Bella in the same room.
“Sure.”
Jacob decided to bring Jared and Embry for “backup” as he told me, but I could tell he wasn’t allowed to Bella’s house without someone from the pack. I still didn’t understand why it would be suck a big deal if the Cullens are good people, but I guess it’s a shifter thing.
We rode in Jacob’s Rabbit he built himself. I thought it was pretty impressive and sat in the back with Jacob. Jared claimed Jacob shouldn’t drive in his angry state that he was in. Which was true, Jacob didn’t speak once and just stared out the window looking very pissed.
The ride was short considering no one seemed to care about following the speed limit; we arrived in no time.
Jared and Embry waited in the car as I followed Jacob to the door and he rang the doorbell. The young man held his breath as we waited.
“Hold on!” an answer arrived, the voice belonging to Bella.
We waiting more, but still the door didn’t open.
I heard Jacob make a quiet growl and this time he harshly rang the doorbell more than once.
This time I went to the doorbell to ring it, almost smashing it through by accident. Jacob’s anger is rubbing off on me, I think.
Finally the door opened revealing Bella. Her cheeks were flushed and she smelt of the cleanser Comet.
I looked at their sharing gaze, seeing Jacob’s face blank except for his nose lifting from the disgusting smell of vampires I guess. He was trembling slightly too, I hesitantly placed my hand upon his elbow.
Bella’s eyes then looked behind us to look at Jared and Embry, she suddenly looked annoyed.
“Hey,” Bella said after a few more silent minutes.
I gave a small wave, but I knew she was talking to Jacob.
Jacob’s eyes were straining to look behind Bella and look for any signs of Alice Cullen.
“She’s not here. Do you need something?” Bella said, irritated.
“You’re alone?”
“Yes.”
“Can I talk to you a minute?”
“Of course you can, Jacob. Come on in,” Bella said, slight sarcasm in her tone.
Jacob then looked over his shoulder where Embry shook his head just barely. Embry then pointed at me, then nodded.
“Chicken,” Bella whispered, her teeth clenched in annoyance.
Jacob marched inside, not looking back.
I quickly snuck a look behind me to see Embry and Jared urging us in; Embry pointing to his wrist at an imaginary watch I’m guessing.
I nodded, a frown upon my lips.
Bella was still waiting by the door, her glare locking with Embry and Jared’s.
“C’mon,” I muttered, taking her arm and pulling her into the house. We found Jacob at the living room, his eyes on the blankets all around.
“Slumber party?” he asked sarcastically.
“Yeah,” Bella said just as harshly, “What’s it to you?”
The hostility in this room was going to suffocate me… How could imprints act like this? Didn’t Billy say…
“Where’s your ‘friend’?” he asked quietly.
Bella rolled her eyes, “She had some errands to run. Look, Jacob, what do you want?”
Jacob started shaking more, but his face was stone. He suddenly moved into the kitchen, looking around.
I followed them silently, my eyes on alert for any danger that apparently Jacob thinks will come.
“Hey!” Bella said, standing right in front of the trembling shifter. “What’s your problem?”
“I don’t like having to be here.”
Bella looked hurt, wincing, “Then I’m sorry you had to come. Why don’t you tell me what you need so you can leave?”
“I just have to ask you a couple of questions. It shouldn’t take long. We have to get back for the funeral before we’re late,” Jacob answered.
“Okay. Get it over with then,” Bella said blankly.
Jacob suddenly became still, taking a deep breath and his eyes fluttering.
“One of the Cullens is staying her with you,” he stated.
Bella nodded, “Yes. Alice Cullen.”
“How long is she here for?”
“As long as she wants to be. It’s an open invitation,” Bella answered.
“Do you think you could… Please… Explain to her about the other one… Victoria?” Jacob said, emotions rushing through his eyes.
“I told her about that.”
Jacob nodded, “You should know that we can only watch our own lands with a Cullen here. You’ll only be safe in La Push. I can’t protect you here anymore,” Jacob said, his voice strained.
“Okay,” Bella said quietly.
Jacob looked away, pain in his eyes.
“Is that all?”
“Just one more thing.”
Bella seemed to be waiting as was I. I was currently leaning back on one of the counters in the kitchen. I felt invisible even though I knew I was in plain sight.
“Yes?” Bella urged.
“Are the rest of them coming back now?” he asked in a quiet tone, his voice calm.
The hurt exploded from Jacob; it seemed to slice me.
He doesn’t want the Cullens to come back because that Edward Cullen would take Bella away from him.
Ouch.
“Well?” Jacob asked, his calm composure struggling to stay hold.
“No. They aren’t coming back,” Bella said sadly.
“Okay. That’s all.”
I knew Jacob was rejoicing inside that head of his.
More annoyance crept into Bella’s eyes, “Well, run along now. Go tell Sam that the scary monsters aren’t coming to get you.”
“Okay.”
Jacob walked away stiffly, his calm composure slowly breaking away. He was silent.
Bella walked back into the hallway, getting out of the kitchen and out of sight.
I didn’t follow Jacob, but started to follow Bella.
“Bella…?”
Bella’s face came back into the kitchen, tears streaming down her face and she looked at Jacob with sad eyes.
“Did it again, didn’t I?”
Did what?
“Did what?” Bella asked, her voice breaking.
“Broke my promise. Sorry.”
What promise!?
“’S’okay. I started it this time.”
“I knew how you felt about them. It shouldn’t have taken me by surprise like that,” he insisted, but disgust was clear in his eyes for Bella’s love of vampires.
“Sorry,” Bella muttered.
“Let’s not worry about it, okay? She’s just visiting, right?” She’ll leave, and things will go back to normal.”
“Can’t I be friend with you both at the same time?” Bella asked, her voice hopeful.
Jacob started shaking his head, “No, I don’t think you can.”
“But you’ll wait, right? You’ll still be my friend, even if I love Alice, too?”
I looked at Jacob to see his answer. His jaw was clenched, his fists shaking, and his eyes on fire. He hesitated.
“Yeah, I’ll always be your friend. No matter what you love,” he finally replied.
“Promise?”
“Promise.”
Jacob then dived for a hug, engulfing Bella’s small body in his arms.
“This sucks,” Bella sniffed.
“Yeah,” Jacob muttered, then sniffed her hair. “Ew.”
“What?!” Bella exclaimed, “Why does everyone keep doing that to me? I don’t smell!”
I laughed, I couldn’t help myself. Both Jacob and Bella looked at me in surprise, forgetting I was even there.
“To werewolves, vampires smell disgusting… They say it’s too sweet and icy, it burns them like their smelling the ultimate perfume that’s too strong. Vampires also find shifters nasty to smell because they smell worse than wet dogs!” I laughed.
“Really?” asked Bella, looking back to Jacob.
He nodded, and then shrugged, “Huh. Maybe I don’t smell so good to vampires either. Huh.”
“Well, you both smell fine to me.”
Should I feel insulted that I’m being ignored…
I looked away from Bella and Jacob. I don’t know why, but they make me feel like I don’t exist.
I left the house as quick as I could and as silent, arriving to the Rabbit with Embry and Jared waiting impatiently.
“What’s going on in there?” asked Embry, hopping in the back seat with me.
I explained to them what was going on; their conversations.
Jared grunted, “If Bella picked the bloodsuckers, Jacob is going to throw a huge fit.”
“A fit? More like an earthquake will shake La Push,” muttered Embry, then he hugged me. “Did they ignore you in there?”
I nodded, “I’m used to it.”
“Jacob likes you, though, you know,” Embry insisted, smiling.
I nodded again, “I know.”
Jared glared at Embry, “You shut your mouth.”
Embry shrugged, “I didn’t say anything wrong. I’m just telling her the truth,” he said.
“What are you guys hiding,” I said, narrowing my eyes at the two.
Jared looked away and Embry hid his face in my hair, his arms still around me.
I sighed and banged my head on Embry’s shoulder like it was a wall.
“C’mon chica, after this we can hang out at the beach?” suggested Embry, letting go of me.
“Sure, sounds good,” I said, smiling again.
Embry ruffled my hair out of the blue, making all my long strands going everywhere over my face. I groaned and pinched Embry.
“That wasn’t very nice!” I mumbled, swinging my hair around to get it out of my face and sort of back to normal.
I then sighed out loud and leaned back in the seat.
“What’s really gotten you down, Peri? Usually you punch me or attack my hair after I mess with yours.” asked Embry.
“Oh… I don’t know,” I mumbled, “It’s just that…”
“Jacob, right?” Embry guessed, grinning and wiggling his eyebrows in a suggestive way.
I pushed him, rolling my eyes, “Is it that obvious.”
“No, it’s just that he actually…” Embry started until Jared punched him in the face.
Embry flinched and growled, “Jared!”
“Embry! Shut up!” Jared hissed back, his eyes shooting bullets at the younger shifter.
“Okay! Okay!” Embry surrendered, raising his hands up.
I growled, “Embry! Jared!”
“We can’t tell you anything! Embry should have kept his mouth shut and not hint at anything,” growled Jared.
“Come on! What is it?” I asked Embry and Jared, my voice almost whining with curiosity.
“It’s about Jacob’s imprint,” Embry blurted.
Jared tackled Embry out of the car. “You’re supposed to listen to me and shut your freakin’ mouth, you little pup!” Jared snarled.
“What about Bella?” I asked, tearing Jared away from Embry.
“Bella?” they both asked, startled and looking curiously at me.
“Yeah… Jacob Black’s imprint?” I said.
“Peri, Bella isn’t Jacob’s imprint,” Jared said, giving up on the not to tell secretive secret.
I didn’t have enough time to register his words when Jacob and Alice practically broke the door down and stood there glaring at each other.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry I took this long to update!
I was so caught up in school with the Terra Nova tests, that I sort of let myself forget about writing and updating as quick as possible.
But thanks for all the comments, lovely readers!
Thank you for just reading!