Status: Completed

Heartless Reaper

Seven

“You might control yourself on occasion, but these leeches you’re taking her to…” Jacob accused Alice.
“Yes. You’re right, dog,” Alice snarled back, “The Volturi are the very essence of our kind… They’re the reason your hair stands on end when you smell me. They are the substance of your nightmares, the dread behind your instincts. I’m not unaware of that.”
The Volturi? I’ve heard of that name…
William once told me the Volturi are as close as vampire royalty you can get, but these vampires are blood thirsty and ruthless. They back up the laws of the vampires and I’m heard they’re somebody you never want to meet, not even in nightmares.
“Then why is she still hunting?” growled Alice, narrowing her eyes at the large shifter in front of her.
Victoria.
Jacob shuddered viciously. I saw Embry and Jared tense up, their bodies ready to jump up to help if needed.
“Stop that!” Bella shouted, “Argue when we get back, let’s go!”
Go where?
Alice turned towards the black car with Bella hastily following her. Jacob then lunged at Bella’s arm, grabbing it roughly with his large hand.
“Please, Bella. I’m begging.”
Jacob’s eyes were filled with tears and I felt like I wanted to cry with him. But I also wanted to murder him and Bella.
“Jake, I have to…”
“You don’t, though. You really don’t. You could stay here with me. You could stay alive. For Charlie. For me.”
A stab went through my hallow chest and I turned towards Embry and Jared, their eyes suddenly on me and not Jacob who’s in danger of shifting and hurting everyone.
I decided I would get mad at Jacob… For ignoring me, for choosing Bella… Billy said Jacob imprinted, I don’t know who, I don’t know why… But he’s still choosing Bella and he’s being stupid for it.
I don’t like stupid people.
Bella was already motioning to the car, looking sadly at Jacob. Alice waited impatiently, tapping her fingers on the wheel.
“Don’t die, Bella. Don’t go. Don’t,” Jacob choked, his voice shaking intensely with pain. He hugged Bella tightly and held her head closely to him.
“Bye, Jake.”
Bella kissed his palm slowly and avoided his eyes. “Sorry.” The girl ran to the car and entered the already opened door.
Jacob turned to me, his body morphing into a wolf already.
Not a second before shifting, Jacob whispered, “Go with Bella.”
The anguished wolf ran off into the trees, leaving only a shoe and no more Jacob. Bella turned to look at Jacob, but to only see nothing.
I looked at Embry and Jared, seeing their concerned eyes on the shoe and then on me.
“I’ll be right back,” I said, swatting both of them in the back of their heads as my way of goodbye and racing after Alice’s car.
I heard them protest behind me, but I didn’t look back then I ran to the passenger side of the door. It was already open, as if they were expecting me.
“Glad you’re coming,” smiled Alice, turning to look at me, “We need all the help we can get and you’re probably going to be Edward’s savior.”
“Oh lovely,” I muttered.
Alice flashed her perfect white teeth, “Cheer up, Peri.”
“Well,” I sighed, “At least I get to go to Italy. I’ve never been there yet; always felt too much death to ever think of traveling there.”
“It’s the damn Volturi,” growled Alice, her mood suddenly dark again.
I nodded softly, then looked at Bella. She was filled with fear, excitement, and also pain. I bet she’s fearful of the journey, excited for her lover, and sad for Jacob.
I shook my head and looked out of the window, my features emotionless.
“Thank you,” a whisper flowed through my ears.
My head immediately shot around and stared directly at Bella.
“Thank you,” she repeated.
I slowly turned back t looking out the window, not even nodding at the girl who broke a shifter’s heart; a boy’s heart.
I felt Alice’s eyes on me, but I made no motion to look back at her.
The ride was short to the plane. I blended in with everything to enter the plain illegally since I own no passport.
Bella was bouncing in her seat anxiously while Alice held her down.
“It’s faster than running,” Alice reminded Bella.
Bella nodded, but she continued bouncing.
After a few minutes, the plane flew off and soon we were in the air.
“Do you want some peanuts?” asked Alice, looking at the empty seat beside 4 other people.
I got up and grabbed it, sitting back down afterwards.
“How do I look?” I asked Alice.
“I can hardly tell anyone is there with my eyes. It’s like I need to avoid you,” Alice answered.
“Good.”
Alice then took her phone out and started chirping to Jasper, a little too early for the stewardess’ liking.
She didn’t come near however. I guess she saw the look in both of their eyes.
“I can’t be sure, I keep seeing him do different things, he keeps changing his mind… A killing spree through the city, attacking the guard, lifting a car over his head in the main square… mostly things that would expose them… He knows that’s the fastest way to force a reaction…
“No, you can’t.”
Alice’s voice suddenly turned into a murmur, barely able to be heard.
“Tell Emmett no…. Well, go after Emmett and Rosalie and bring them back…. Think about it, Jasper. If he sees any of us, what do you think he will do?... Exactly. I think Bella is the only chance; if there is a chance…. I’ll do everything that can be done, but prepare Carlisle; the odds aren’t good.”
Alice suddenly laughed. “I’ve thought of that…. Yes, I promise,” her voice then turned to a pleading tone, “Don’t follow me. I promise, Jasper. One way or another, I’ll get out…. And I love you.”
She hung up immediately, her eyes slowly closing, “I hate lying to him.”
“Tell me everything, Alice,” Bella begged pathetically, “I don’t understand. Why did you tell Jasper to stop Emmett, why can’t they come help us?”
I’m guessing Jasper is Alice’s lover and Emmett is another friend… Rosalie and Carlisle must be part of their clan too.
I zoned out eating my peanuts, watching the guy next to me watch a movie on his computer with his headphones on.
He was oblivious that I was next to him and every time he turned my way, he suddenly looked away immediately.
I enjoyed his confusion every time he tried looking.
It was a while until the plane descended and we were in New York City getting ready for our next flight. It was basically the same as the last, but Bella got really excited and asked Alice a lot of questions.
Alice kept concentrating on Edward and it was all bunched together in a rush.
Finally we were landing in Florence.
“How far is it from Florence to Volterra?” asked Bella.
“That depends on how fast you drive… Bella?”
“Yes?”
Alice looked at Bella and me, “How strongly are you opposed to grand theft auto?”
She grinned and I couldn’t help but grin back at her.
A flashy yellow Porsche was what Alice came up with; I admired its beauty and hopped in immediately in the back.
“Hurry, Bella!” shouted Alice, staring at the slow girl.
Bella threw herself into the passenger side, “Sheesh, Alice. Could you pick a more conspicuous car to steal?”
“The important question is whether I could have stolen a faster car, and I don’t think so. I got lucky.”
Yes she did to steal such a beauty in such short notice.
“I’m sure that will be very comforting at the roadblock.”
Alice laughed, looking back at me as if we shared a joke, “Trust me, Bella. If anyone sets up a roadblock, it will be behind us.”
The car roared as she pushed it faster as if to prove her point. I laughed.
Bella was anxiously looking around, as if the car was going too slow.
“Do you see anything more?”
“There’s something going on,” Alice growled, “Some kind of festival. The streets are full of people and red flags. What’s the date today?”
Bella’s face looked unsure.
“It’s the nineteenth,” I answered confidently.
“Well, that’s ironic. It’s Saint Marcus Day.”
“Which means…?”
Alice started explaining the holiday, which actually is ironic since it’s supposedly the holiday of when Marcus drove all the vampires out when they’re actually running the city.
I leaned back, not going to continue concentrating on the world around me when I’m not needed.
Finally, Alice announced, “Volterra.”
The city was very crowded and soon it was hard to squeeze through the cars and narrow roads.
I started paying attention again when the guards of the gate came in view. A guard tapped the window of the car and I saw Bella freeze in her seat. Alice rolled her window down halfway, not taking any chances with the sun even when covered under layers of clothing.
“I’m sorry, only tour buses allowed in the city today, miss,” he said in a heavy accent, his face shocked by Alice’s perfect appearance. He looked very sad that he had to deny such a woman.
“It’s a private tour,” Alice replied, smiling temptingly and taking her hand out to grab his in order to place something in his hand.
The guard pulled back and his face was startled as he held the wad of money in his hand.
“Is this a joke?” he mumbled, his eyes wide as he held the stack of money with the front side reading a thousand dollar.
“Only if you think it’s funny,” she smiled in a persuading way.
The guard continued staring at her until finally Alice said, “I’m in a wee bit of a hurry.”
The guard blinked and stuffed the money in his pocket, waving us on afterwards. Bella sighed out and soon we were in the narrow streets making our way to saving Edward.
We came to a halt and Bella’s breath quickened as she opened the door. Alice pointed down into where the street widened where it was very bright.
“There. We’re at the southern end of the square. Run straight across, to the right of the clock tower. I’ll find a way around…” Alice said, then her breath got caught in her throat. “They’re everywhere.”
Bella froze, but Alice pushed her out. “Forget about them. You have two minutes. Go, Bella, go! Peri! Help her please as much as you can without looking suspicious!” Alice shouted at us.
Bella ran out clumsily, almost falling to the ground until I held her up. Everyone was in red robes or cloaks so I randomly grabbed one and wrapped it around myself, pulling the hood over my head.
“Peri,” Bella whispered.
I grabbed Bella around her waist and hoisted her up in my arms, carrying her securely.
“Hold on, Bella,” I murmured then ran forward.
We have a vampire to catch.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ruuuuuun! xD It's Peri to the rescue!