Our Bloody Masterpiece

Rotten Luck

I have a feeling I know where she's taking me. I've only drank at the Castle once or twice, and I never stayed too long. Bars have never been my favorite places to hang out. Not because I don't like them, just because I'm afraid to be noticed by someone. This time I'll make an exception, seeing as a beautiful woman is leading me there. One beer and a few stories can't hurt after all. Afterwards I'll excuse myself and disappear. I can't drag poor Charlie into my mess of a life. It'd be selfish, and from the looks of things, she's got enough problems.

We're walking and I'm watching. Somethings not right. I can feel it. Something is definitely wrong. I haven't seen a security guard in a while. You usually can't walk a hundred feet in this mall without seeing one. Believe me, I've tested this theory. Where security guards should be, now there are people in grey suits. Men and women in plain grey suits, and generic sunglasses. We pass one as he checks his watch. Like he's waiting for something. Something is definitely going on.

Charlie looks back at me, and I force a smile. I keep trying to convince myself that nothings going on. This is all normal. People wear matching suits all the time and hang out at the mall checking their watches. This happens every day. No big deal I keep trying to convince myself.

“Here's the bar,” Charlie says as she makes her way inside. I smile again, still acting like nothings happening. Praying I'm wrong about all of this. There's another one inside the bar as we sit down. She's checking her watch and notices me staring her down. She smiles at me and turns her attention elsewhere.

“What are you drinking? I'll buy,” Charlie says.

“I wouldn't be much of gentleman if I let you do that Charlie,” I reply. She smiles again as she orders her drink. I order my beer and keep a look out on my surroundings as Charlie starts talking. I'm trying to listen and not be a complete asshole, but its not working. My spider senses are tingling right now, and its extremely distracting. I catch the end of something Charlie said, and try to keep up with the conversation.

“That's pretty cool Charlie,” I say, hoping it fits with whatever she just said.

“What? I asked you where you're from... Is everything okay?” she asks.

“Yea! Its fine! Sorry! I was just thinking about something,” I lie. “Where am I from? I'm from New Jersey. Very glamorous. Cleanest beaches around... If you consider clean beaches full of medical waste and used condoms.”

“Ha ha! Sounds beautiful... If somethings wrong please tell me. I can tell somethings going on. Just tell me what's wrong,” she says.

“Nothing!... I mean!... Ah fuck. Okay, look... I don't know what's going on... But... Would you excuse me while I try to find out?”

“Okay,” she says with her eyebrow half raised. She probably thinks I'm out of my mind as I get up and start to make my way over to the lady in the suit. Even if she doesn't tell me what's going on, I'm sure her body language will tell me the nature of what these people are up to. She sees me on the walk over, and doesn't waste any time in leaving. Something is definitely going on.

I turn back around and see Charlie. She's looking at me like I've lost my mind and all I can think to do is give her an awkward smile in return. How do I end this with us both safe? No feelings hurt? This is not going top be easy. I just met this girl and mind fucked her ex boyfriend. Now I'm just gonna be like, “Hey! Nice to meet ya! But we gotta go!” How do I do this without seeming like a crazy person? Maybe there just isn't a way, but I have to try.

“Charlie... Uh... Hey... I gotta like... Go... And I think... Maybe you should too... Somethings going on. I don't know what, but something is definitely wrong,” I manage to stammer. She sort of cocks her head and gives me another perplexed look. I must seem like the craziest person in the history of the planet right now.

“Okay... Uh... What's wrong?” she asks. “What gives you that impression?”

“I wish I knew what was going on... There's all these people in suits... I know their type. Something is going on. Something I guarantee you and I will want no part of. So... I say we just leave before I'm right about this,” I explain, hoping to seem a little bit more sane.

“That's pretty strange, but... If you really think its for the best... Uh... I hate to ask this, but... You were really nice to me today, and I'm grateful to you... I almost never do this but... Could I maybe have your number? Maybe we could do this sometime when you aren't freaking out about people in suits?”

“Sure! No problem!” I shout as I grab a napkin and scribble it down for her. Without thinking I give her my actual number. Something I almost never do. I'm not sure what compelled me to do that. Normally I just give them a number to a Chinese restaurant, or something equally as dumb. Its my way of saying: Thanks for playing! You want nothing to do with me! I assure you! For some reason, I actually do want to talk to her again. If anything just to prove to her that I'm not a crazy person.

“That's it, just call me anytime... I promise I'm not always like this... Uh... Would it be okay if I walked you to your car? If you have more shopping to do, might I suggest another day?” I tell her. She smiles and agrees as she hands me a little piece of napkin with her number on it. I feel like pushing her out the door of the bar. Whatever these people are up to, its going to happen soon.

We're walking. She's talking. I'm trying to listen. Trying to not seem like I'm disinterested. I'm not disinterested, I'm just worried. I would love to hear what she's saying, but I'm too busy watching. I'm too busy waiting for something to happen, and just like that, it does. Damn it! We were so fucking close!

“Everybody down on the ground now!” one of the men in a grey suit shouts as he shoots his M4 into the air. The one day I don't pack heat at the mall! The one day! And look what happens! They lock the entrances, and start rounding up the people they can find on the ground. I look over at Charlie, and I can see she's scared out of her mind. Well, there is one upside to this, at least now she doesn't think I'm a crazy person.

They must have hit security already. Probably was their first stop. Now the question is, what are they after? Money? Goods? Or something else? If they wanted to rob the mall, why would they take hostages? A good robbery is quick. Nobody sees it coming. Sure maybe you hit security, but after that, you want the least amount of attention you can get. You get in, and you get out. This isn't a robbery, this is something else.

Two men with M4s point them at Charlie and I, and tell us to get up. They walk a group of us towards the center of the mall. They must be sweeping from the exits. They want us all in the same place. Like we're some sort of cattle. Like we're a flock of sheep. I notice the grenades on the hip of one of them. They probably have body armor and the whole shot. This was a well thought out operation, but what is the purpose? They're clearly taking us hostage, but why?

Some time passes as more of us are gathered into the center of the mall. Another look at Charlie and she's worse than she was before. Now she's crying, and I can't say as I blame her. I keep looking around, trying to find something I could use to get us out of here, but everywhere I look there's nothing but guns and people in suits. I need to learn more about what's going on before I make a move. Charlie needs reassurance right now. The poor girl, she's been through way too much today.

“Charlie, its going to be alright... Trust me... Don't cry. I won't let anything happen to you,” I whisper to her. A few other guys are whispering the same things to the girls they're around, only I guarantee most of them have never had a gun pointed at them before. Even I'll admit, I've never had a gun this big pointed at me, but there's a first time for everything. This is what I like to call a learning experience.

“How did you know this was going to happen?” Charlie asks. “How did you know? I walked through the mall and didn't notice anything, but you knew. You knew something was wrong... I guess you don't have to tell me... I was just...”

“I'm just... Very observant,” I reply. How do you explain to a girl that you were trained for things like this? Looking for angles. Watching behavior. All these things I know, and for all the wrong reasons. Right now I'm looking at the biggest of the grey suited terrorists and thinking about how much he had to eat this morning. Was it a good breakfast? A well rounded breakfast? Or did he eat a slab of bacon and a stack of pancakes drown in syrup? The way he's breathing tells me its the latter.

“Observant isn't the word. People tell me I'm observant. You see something else. You see everything differently don't you?” she asks.

“Very observant of you Charlie,” I say as I watch a group of our captures set up a podium in very center of the mall. They must be preparing to make some sort of a speech. They must be planning on telling us what they're up to. What their goal is. The feedback rings through the mall as one of them drops the microphone. We all plug our ears and groan as they fix the problem. A tall man with brown hair, that's parted on the side takes the podium, and begins his speech.

“Ladies and gentlemen! Welcome! I'm sorry we interrupted your shopping experience today, but it was absolutely necessary. I'm sure you're all asking yourselves a lot of questions right now. Who are these people? What are they after? What do they want with us? All of these questions will be answered by the end of this very short speech.”

Everyone is watching him intently as I watch them move a woman towards the podium. They're doing this where hardly anyone sees it happening. She's tied up. Her mouth is taped shut. She's short, with dark hair. Probably in her early twenties. Probably an employee at the mall that they found earlier in the day. While all eyes are on the speech, mine are everywhere else. Trying to find a way out of this.

“You see, today is a very special day of the week. Its Sunday. The day of rest as the God fearing population of the world would say. The day we stop to worship Him. In His house. As His children. This is our Sunday tradition.”

“But my question is why? Why do we do this for a God that has never once proven himself to exist to a modern age. Never once has he made his presence known to us. And yet we still believe in Him. Why? Is it because we're scared that we'll be cast into an eternity of fire and brimstone for not believing? Is it because we're raised to believe in him, and to think differently would upset the balance of everything? Surely we've all questioned His existence at one point or another. Surely we've welcomed the belief that this could all just be some elaborate fairy tale. That there is no life after death. That when we die, that's it. The end. An eternity of nothing. Its natural to think these things, don't be ashamed.”

“Which is exactly what brings me here today. You see ladies and gentlemen, I can't justify believing in something without proof that it exists. I'm a logical man, and logically, I just can't bring myself to believe in a higher power. So I am here before you today to ask you to help me. Together, we will find out the truth. Together, we will find out if He exists.”

As the man says this, the girl is being brought up onto the makeshift stage. They drop her to her knees as the man points a pistol at her head. I know what's coming next. I get it now, and I wish I didn't.

“Charlie, don't watch this. Close your eyes. Believe me, you don't want to see this,” I whisper as the man grabs the microphone. No matter how many times you see something like this, it never gets easier.

“If there is a God watching over us and protecting us! May he show himself now! May he stop this bullet from killing this girl!” the man shouts into the microphone. The sound of the gunshot fills the mall and everyone jumps as they watch the girl's eyes go dead. This is followed by panicked screaming from both genders. Charlie's eyes are shut tight, and she's doing what she can to hold back the tears. I wrap my arms around her and she sinks her head into my chest, letting loose the tears she was trying so hard to hold back.

“Its alright. They're not going to hurt you. I won't let it happen,” I assure her, as I look around, still trying to find a way out of this mess. A few people make a rush for the exit, but are shot down upon trying to make their escape. They're in control right now, and there's nothing any of us can do. Its clear that they've been preparing for this for a long time, which means finding an opening isn't going to be easy.

“We'll start with the women, then the men. If God still doesn't intervene, we'll make our way to the children last. My colleagues will be making their way around. If you are selected, please do not offer any resistance. Make your way to the stage, and be a part of something that could change the world as we know it,” the man on the microphone says.

After this announcement the group of terrorists begins to line us up. They tell us to get on our knees with our hands behind our heads. Now they can easily comb through and control the crowd. The whole time, I'm still looking around. Still trying to find something. Across the room I see a man they haven't gotten to yet. He's adjusting something in his waist. He and I make eye contact, and I see the flash of chrome. He's carrying. This could be the help I need.

Judging from his mustache and cheesy haircut, I'm guessing he's a cop. There are three kids around him, all scared and crying their eyes out. I nod to him, and he nods back. He must be planning something of his own, or waiting for the same opening I am. Men are walking around behind us, probably trying to find people for the next few sacrifices. A big one makes his way to where we are, and it happens. He stops.

“You! Get up! You're next, let's go,” he says as he taps his gun on Charlie's shoulder. I have to make a move now. I was hoping I would have more time, but its not looking like it. This is just rotten luck. I have to try and get Charlie out of harm's way, and unfortunately there's only one way to do it. Even more unfortunate is it may not work.

“Oh please! No! Don't! I'll do anything! Take me instead! Please I beg of you!” I say as I cling to the gunman's leg. I can't stand begging, but its my only option. I add a few sniffles and make it sound like I'm in tears as he tries to shake me off.

“Women first sir. If your God exists, then he'll save her from her death,” the gunman coldly replies.

“Then... If I can't take her place... Can I be near her?... She's my everything... Please... That's all I ask,” I tell him, as he finally gets me off of his leg.

“I shouldn't, but fine. If you really wanna see her die up close and personal, I suppose we can allow it,” he says, finally caving to my request. Its not quite what I wanted, but its all I've got. This is what I'll have to work with. I just hope my one ally in the crowd is on the same page as I am. As Charlie and I get up, I glance over at him, and he nods again. I take this as a good sign.

We're making our way up to the stage along with a few other women selected to be killed. Most of them are young and attractive. Its their way of getting in our heads. Its as if they want us to make a move. Its like they want someone to try something. They want to shoot them down, just so they can crush any hopes of a resistance. Surely someone has pocket dialed 911 by now. I'm almost certain the cops are swarming the outside of the place by now. Its the age of cell phones after all.

We get up to the stage and I start counting heads as Charlie is still crying. Still pleading for them to let her and the others live. She's losing hope, and probably wondering what, if anything I could possibly do to stop all of this. Its not going to be easy the more I look. They have about thirty people in position. Two on the balcony above the crowd with sniper rifles. Four of them are by the door. A few more sweeping the crowd, and the rest are on stage. They're all probably wearing body armor, ready for a grand shootout with the cops. Which means if I'm gonna pull this off, its going to be all head shots.

I won't say I'm the best shot in the world, but I'm not the worst either. If anything, I can take one of them as a human shield after I shoot out his kneecap. The woman from the bar is next to me on stage, and she's the perfect target for this. They line Charlie and the other girls up front on stage and make them get on their knees. There's not a dry eye in the building as the eight of them draw their guns and put them to the back of the hostage's heads.

Everyone in the crowd is still on their knees. Still with their hands behind their head. Looking down towards the floor. My police officer ally is doing the same thing, but I can tell he's waiting for his moment, and its about time I give it to him. I inch closer to the woman from the bar, closing the distance so I can make my move when the time comes. I feel sorry for having to do what I'm about to do to a woman, but she asked for it. The leader of this little terrorist cult of atheist assholes grabs the microphone again. He's the one with the gun to Charlie's head which means he's first on my shit list. He starts his speech as I get my hand on the woman's pistol holster.

“Dear God! If you are listening! We are sorry for what we have to do! It is not something we like doing! We only do this because we want proof that you are with us! We need you! And if you don't exist, then we need to know that we were lied to! Our cause is true! Please believe us! And if you are listening, then please stop these bullets from killing these poor, defenseless women. Ame...”

I don't let him finish the last word of his bull shit prayer. I grab the gun out of the woman's holster and put one through the back of his head. The crowd starts to scream as I put one through the woman's knee and take her by the neck. All the guns in the place turn towards me, as I watch the cop stand up and start shooting the ones in the crowd. The big one who led us to the stage fires at me as I turn my hostage to take the blast with her body armor. One shot and he goes down.

The woman in my arms is a bloody mess as the girls on stage, including Charlie, make a run for cover. I'm finding suits and picking off heads as best I can. It usually takes me a few shots before I hit something. The crowd is running for their lives as I see the officer trying to make his way to where I am. The snipers can only do so much in a situation like this. There's too many targets moving too fast for them to shoot. I listen as they pop off a few shots into the crowd, probably hitting a few innocent people trying to flee. A large group rushes the doors and takes out the suits guarding them. I had a feeling that would happen. It only takes one spark to light a fire.

I take out a few more and find cover behind the stage. I have to take those snipers out. The woman in my arms is trying her best to get away from me.

“This is useless! You're never going to get out of here alive dumbass!” she shouts through the pain.

“All I want to tell you before I kill you is that I'm a man who's a little skeptical about God. I have my doubts he's up there from time to time just like you do,” I say as another suit pops out from around the stage. I shoot three times, landing one in his head and two in his shoulders before continuing my speech. “But if there is a God, he's not up there deciding when to throw a miracle someone's way. We are his miracles. We make our own luck sometimes, and today, you had the rotten luck of running into me.”

I squeeze the trigger and her body goes limp. I grab a few clips from her suit jacket and reload my empty pistol. The cop from the crowd makes his way to where I am. I can tell he's a little nervous still, just like I am.

“How many are left?” he asks.

“I have no idea. I know we have to get rid of those snipers. If we don't...”

“I'll take care of it,” he replies as he grabs the recently downed suit's M4. He peeks out around the stage and takes a few shots. He sets the gun down and smiles at me.

“All done,” he says.

“I'm impressed,” I reply.

“No, I'm impressed. Are you a cop or what? That stunt you pulled on stage was amazing. You got some innocent people killed in the process... But I suppose that would have happened either way. So what's your name?” he asks.

“I'm sorry officer, but I don't really have time to introduce myself. I have to go find someone. Where are your kids?”

“Spencer! Oh my God! Are you alright!?” Charlie shouts as she makes her way over to us. “Are they all dead!? That was... Incredible! Where did you learn to...”

Shit! Charlie! Why did she have to find me now!? Now this cop knows my name and my face. The last thing I need is some sort of background check. Its official. I'm fucked. I have half a mind to blast this cop in the head and make a run for it, but Charlie wraps her arms around me and starts balling her eyes out before I can even think to lift the gun. Poor girl, she's been through way to much today.

“Spencer eh? Pleasure meeting you. You're a damn hero in my book. I'm gonna make a call and tell the boys outside that its okay to move in now. I think we cleared them out for the most part since I'm not hearing any more gunshots... Sick bastards... I'm Fred by the way. Fred Russo,” the cop says as he grabs his cell phone out of his pocket.

“Well it was nice meeting you all but I have to get home. I think I left something on,” I say as I pry Charlie off of me.

“Wait! Where are you going!?” Officer Russo shouts as I start to power walk away from the seen, dropping the pistol I'm carrying to the floor. I don't look back. I don't respond. All that's going through my head is “Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!” Charlie is still standing by his side, watching me leave. Probably in shock that I'm leaving her behind after everything.

I'm plotting my escape route. Trying to think of an entrance the cops won't be at. I'm sure Russo has already told them everything he knows about me. I'm halfway there. Halfway to the truck. Almost out of the mall when I hear someone running behind me, and I know exactly who it is.

“Spencer! Where are you going! Don't leave! He said you're not in trouble! Why are you being like this!?” Charlie shouts as she tries to catch up.

“Charlie, listen to me. I have to go. I'm sorry. Look... You just met me. There's a lot you don't know. You don't want anything to do with me. If you were smart, and I know you are, you'll turn around right now and leave,” I tell her, still power walking towards my destination. She's not stopping though. She's still keeping up, and now she's right next to me.

“This is crazy! You're not a bad person! You saved my life and you barely even know me!” she shouts. “I won't let you leave!”

“You will, and you're going to. Look... You're a nice girl, and I'm only doing this to protect you... Please Charlie... Just walk away.”

She stops, and I don't look back. I swing the doors to the exit open and keep walking to my truck. I glance back and see her face one last time before I start the engine. The tears are streaming, and her makeup is ruined... She's still beautiful. I hit the gas and leave as an ambulance and a few other emergency vehicles make their way into the parking lot.

Poor Charlie. She's been through way too much today. This is the type of day you never forget. The first time someone points a gun at you, is usually something you remember. What rotten luck for both of us. I feel terrible as I turn the radio up to try and block out the thoughts. Maybe I should have stayed for her. Maybe I should have taken her with me. Maybe... But with my kind of luck, she'd end up dead because of me. I don't think I could handle that.... Damn... I need a cigarette.
♠ ♠ ♠
Quick note here: I don't get how my spell check on my Linux office... thing is different than the mibba one. Grey is spelled gray on there... I don't know which is right. I even googled it didn't really get a solid answer on it... Why would you care about this? I don't know, I just like to complain. Anyways, I like this chapter a lot. I think this is the chapter where people may or may not go "Okay, this is kind of fucked up." I've had the idea for a cult taking over a mall for like, ever, and just now got to write it out. I'm happy Zero Kiryu gave me the format... even though I don't think she intended to. I just love how crazy of a meeting place it is. The mall, during a hostage situation. I love it. Okay, I'm done rambling. I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Zero Kiryu is up next, and I honestly can't wait to see where she takes her character after this. Gonna be pretty interesting folks. Stay tuned! One Love! - Justin Hamm