Crazy Beautiful

What?!

[Frank's POV]

Did Zoey just call Donald Dad? What the hell is going on?

I watch as Gerard starts to yell, causing a scene, and then they all leave and go outside with Donna. Bob, Ray and I exchange questioning looks and just wait for them to get back.

After awhile I hear yelling then a car door slamming and someone speeding down the street. Everyone comes back inside except for...

Zoey.

"Hey, what happened; where's Zoey?" I ask.

"She...she's our sister. She's our half sister, and we never knew...and... She just got upset, and left... Dammit I need a drink." Gerard mumbles as he walks off towards the kitchen.

Mikey sits down and tells us the whole story to which I reply, "What?!"

"Yea, apparently our dad had an affair... and she's our half sister." Mikey says sitting back on the couch.

"Well what happened? Why was she so upset?"

"Gerard and I... we kind of got upset... Now that I think of it... We really don't have a reason to be mad at all I mean he chose us over her. I can't imagine how that must feel."

"I'd be pretty shitty if I found out that I was abandoned for some other kids." Gerard says suddenly coming into the living room.

"I need to go find her, before she does something drastic. Do you guys know where she went?" I ask.

"No, she just sped off in her car. I hope she's careful, the roads are really slick right now." Mikey says.

I get up quickly grabbing my coat and rush out to my car. I check at her house first, but there are no cars there.

As I'm driving I see a bunch of flashing lights up ahead, and I hear sirens. I have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach, I drive closer and see Zoey's car smashed up on the side of the road.

I stop the car and rush over, pushing my way past police officers and news reporters. I get to the ambulance just as they're putting her on. She looks so helpless.

There's blood, a lot of it.

"Excuse me Sir, we're going to have to ask you to step aw-"

"Sh-, she's my girlfriend. I need to go with her." I say shakily.

"I'm sorry but she's in critical condition and you might cause some stress if you come along, you can meet us at the local hospital that's whe-"

"NO! I NEED TO GO WITH HER!" I say trying to get to her.

Two police men pull me away and I watch as they close the door and drive away with Zoey in the back.

I answer a few questions for the cops then rush to the hospital. They say that Zoey's in the ER right now, she got a big piece of metal stuck in her side and she's suffered head trauma.

I call everyone and sit in the waiting room, waiting to hear any news from the doctor.

She can't leave me. Not now, there are so many things I want to do with her. Want to share with her, she can't leave me yet.

I love her.

Yes it's only been a month, but I love her. I've never felt this strongly about someone before.

Before her I didn't care about anything. She makes me so happy. Everything about her, her smile, her voice, her laugh.

I want to be there for her, and take care of her. And make sure she knows that someone out there loves her.

I don't want to see her go not now, not for a long time.

[Third Person Narrative]

Frank regains enough of his composure to call Gerard, Mikey and the rest of the gang.

They all hurry as fast as they can to the hospital, all looking in the same state as Frank is.

Scared, hurt. But most of all they feel...

Guilt.

Guilt for being so selfish, guilt for not going after Zoey before she got to the car.

If only they had gotten to her before she could have driven away.

But the one man who feels the worst of them all is, the father.

His little girl, his forgotten daughter. The child he abandoned, because of his mistakes. How could he have left something so precious, so beautiful.

He loved her, cherished her so very much, and that day. Her 10th birthday, he broke the one promise he made to her.

He left her, and what killed him even more is that she sat there. On the ground where she had landed when he pushed her out of his way. Trying to make the goodbye short.

Come to think of it, it wasn't even a proper goodbye. He left, giving her the false assumption that he would indeed, one day be back.

She's had to grow up all these years without her father. The man she looked up to for protection against closet monsters.

He knew her mother was in no way capable of taking care of a child by herself. He's figured that she probably neglects Zoey, pushes her away.

It's not fair, that she gets to have Zoey when she doesn't even want her. Doesn't appreciate her. But it was his choice, he chose to leave Zoey and never look back the day he drove away.

And he hasn't had to worry about it until now.

Now Mrs. Way, was also very distraught and upset. The first day she met Zoey, she could tell that she had something extraordinary about her, and yet she was missing something, in her eyes she could sense an emptiness and she felt compelled to fill that gap, or at least help to, in any way she could.

And now that she knew that Zoey was infact, Donald's daughter from a long forgotten affair she felt even more driven to help this poor girl, who was abandoned.

Yes, she was furious with Donald when she found out about the affair. They've gone to years of therapy to mend the wound, and it has proven affective.

When she caught news of the little girl and the situation of the mother. She wanted nothing more than to take the child in. She had always wanted a girl, and she certainly didn't want the child to be in a home where its mother didn't care for it.

But as time went on, the girl became too old, and so did the two boys that they had already had. It would have been very difficult to explain the situation to the children and so they decided to just leave it as it was.

And sometimes in the back of her mind, she would think what it would have been like if Zoey had come to live with them, instead of staying with her mother. But this was rare, only on days when she fought with her husband, which was also very rare.

Gerard paces back and forth across the floor. His mind is in a mix of emotions at the moment. But guilt was the most he felt.

Yes he was angry that this family secret was kept from him, but maybe it was for the best?

He was really happy that his parents had stayed together and worked this out. And finding out that he has a sister was pretty exciting as well. So why had he blown up?

The answer was unknown to him, but he did know that he definitely did not have a right nor place to become so angry.

He was not the one who was left, the one who had to spend countless nights and days alone, because his mother was careless. He did not have to spend years trying to replace the emptiness that his father left in Zoey.

And he felt a touch of humor and relief as well. Humor because just earlier that year when they all met Zoey, he remembered that Mikey has said something about maybe liking Zoey just a tad bit. And relief that Mikey didn't go through with these feelings, because that would have been REALLY awkward.

Mikey felt happiness, and relief also for the same reason.

"Is anyone going to call her mom?" Bob suddenly asks.

They all exchange looks and glances. Frank is about to volunteer when Donald steps forward.

He knows he's going to have to face her sometime, why not now.

The phone conversation is not pleasant and ends with a few curses and screams. Donald can't believe that he left Zoey with that woman.

She basically said that she was too busy with work to come down to the hospital and that he should just take care of it.

He goes back to the waiting area and a moment later a doctor finally comes out.

"Zoey sustained multiple fractures in her arms and ribs. She had a very big piece of metal stuck into her side, and on top of that she suffered head trauma. We stopped all of the bleeding and got her stabilized. She's being bandaged up right now but she is in a state of coma. We're not sure when she'll come out of it, but we estimate it could be as long as a couple weeks, maybe a month or so. But she is stable and healthy; we're just going to have to wait for her to wake up."

Everyone breathes a sigh of relief.

Happy that their fragile Zoey is going to be okay. But now comes the wait.

When will she wake up?