Status: Abandon

Got A Secret?

Inner Debates

"I'm sorry did you just refer to me as Crosby's girlfriend? I am my own person, I am a player on this team, I also have a name. Max and Jordan aren't referred to as just Crosby's team-mates so I don't see why I have been demoted to the nameless one just because I'm a girl." Rachel Keller speaks out after a reporters comments send her on edge.

I rub my eyes tiredly and shift around in my plane seat trying to bunch my sweat pants. They weren't my sweatpants, I had stole them from one of the guys because they were roomy but either way they were bunching slightly making my seat uncomfortable. I shut my eyes once more clamping them as tightly as I could and bringing the blanket I had brought with me up to my chin. Curling up the best I could in my seat I snuggling into Jordan's side under his arm which was draped along my shoulder. We were on our way to Tampa, leaving later then scheduled because Sidney had some last minute thing to do with Reebok and since he was the Captain we had waited for him.

As much as I did like my boyfriend, a status we agreed upon after a nicely cooked dinner on his part and his over all sweetness and kissing skills, I voted (along with Max) that we leave his ass in Pittsburgh and make him walk to Tampa. I had wanted some free time in Tampa but now that would not be happening.

I mean I'd still have time to oggle Lecavalier during the game.
Girl with boyfriend say whatttttt. He was my first hockey crush okay! Don't judge.

I could tell Jordan wasn't asleep because he'd be either snoring or moving around but like the good friend he was he had picked up on my mood as soon as we took off and closed his eyes. I just wanted to forget everything for awhile, forget the world, forget the decisions I had to make and forget Ovechkin’s words from the week before.

I was after all the first woman in the NHL, but did that mean anything anymore? Was I falling into the shadows? My hard work and dedication no longer of importance? Crosby's girlfriend, his line-mate, team-mate. I didn't just want to be those things, I wanted to be Keller. Rachel Keller, I didn't want to have myself be identified by Sidney no matter how much he did mean to me. I was my own person, I was a player and a good one. I didn't want the news to say, 'Rachel Keller, Crosby's girlfriend' I was more then that wasn't I? Was it necessary to tack that on to the end of the sentence? Why couldn't it just be Rachel Keller of the Pittsburgh Penguins again?

What did I have to do, single-handedly lead the team to victory? I didn't want the team to be mine; I just wanted to be my own person once more. Maybe Ovechkin was right...

No what am I saying it's Ovechkin of course he's not right, that ass needed a good slap to the face, and that was on a good day when I wasn't cursing his very existence.

But he could be? We did play well together, no one grouped us together but we were currently on different teams so that could change. Washington was ultimately offering me a better contract, Pittsburgh couldn't match it no matter how much they did want to, they couldn't pay me more then the Captain of the team. The wonder boy of the NHL, couldn't make less then his girlfriend, and there was a salary cap. Washington offered me 5 years, and then a renewal should I choose to after those 5 years. That was more security then Pittsburgh was currently offering, Mario and I had discussed offers, Pittsburgh's changing to one less reliable a few weeks ago.

At times like this I was wonder if Mario was trying to guide me, gently nudge me in the direction of the Capitals. He wouldn't do that though would he? I couldn't decide, I wasn't the type of girl who would do something for herself. I was the one who would do what made other people happy and for once I wasn't sure if that was a good option.
____________________________________________________________________________

"I can't speak for Keller but I think we played an amazing game, she was really on her game tonight, it was actually pretty frightening. Usually she jokes and stuff on the bench but I don't think she took her eyes off the ice once all game. She's become quite an asset to the team and I sometimes can't even remember a time when we played without her, her determination today shocked us all and reminded us that she still is trying to prove herself in some ways. I hope she doesn't forget that we're all rooting for her and have accepted her regardless of whatever decision she may make in the future. She's one of us and we'll always love her". Max Talbot states passionately looking over at Rachel Keller who denied comment on tonight's game.

"Doesn't matter had sex, I think she might have been racist, doesn't matter had sex. She put a bag on my head, STILL COUNTS!" I sing, stopping abruptly when another voice joins in for the last two words. I freeze letting the water fall down around me and silently curse not locking the bathroom door. Hell I thought the first door would have been enough, it's a damn hotel, who comes and rapes a girl in a hall full of hockey players?

"You know I always thought Sid was the worst singer in the league, apparently it's you." A familiar voice taunts making me relax for a moment. I rip the curtain back pressing it against my body seeing Max sitting on the toilet the bathroom door open wide beside a few feet away.

"Maxime! What are you doing?" I screech my voice rising up a few octaves, how the fuck did he even get in here?
"Came to see what's got you so down in the dumps, you know putting earphones in and singing Jonas Brothers might keep us away for awhile but it only a matter of time before we came to find you again."

What was he talking about I wasn't singing Jonas Brothers on the bus... it was Justin Beiber.

I open my mouth to tell him to leave when there's a knock on the door, "Oh don't get out I've got it" Max smirks holding out his hands as if I was going to actually get out of the shower.

"Flower! Staalsy!"
I groan pulling the curtain back into place and setting about rinsing my hair.
"Where’s the party?" I hear Jordan, his cocky tone making me fume slightly. What was this a gang-bang? I hope Sidney comes in here and kicks all their asses. I jump in surprise when the curtain moves, a body setting itself down on the side of the tub.

"Guys this is highly inappropriate!" I try to use a warning tone but its authority was lost when Marc started laughing.

"How long has she been in there Max?"
"Well I was sitting here for a good 10 minutes before she noticed me" Max's voice replies. I shiver, creeped out by the fact he's been sitting there for ten minutes before I had noticed. I hope to god he would have announced his presence had I gone to get out of the shower.

"Find out what was bothering her yet?" Jordan asks, I punch his back through the shower curtain in annoyance. There was nothing wrong with me, I just wasn't in the mood to talk. The others were allowed to have moments alone after the game to collect their thoughts but if I ignored anyone oh no, big conspiracy. I needed time to think, time to weigh my options. I never had a moment to do that someone was always around.

"There is nothing bothering me expect the assholes in my bathroom, really do you guys make a habit of joining people during their showers?"

"Of course we do, we're men. We shower together in the locker room all the time."
"Seriously? This is your defense? Get out of my-"
"Oh more company!" Max interrupts; I hear his feet shuffle across the floor as he opens the door.

Jordan and Marc were trying to stifle their laughter but I could still hear the occasional muffled chuckle over the water. I'd been in here for a while, when the hot water ran out I was going to be screwed.

"What we do in here?"
"Mon dieu, her shower Talbo? Crosby's going to kick your ass."

Oh great Evgeni and Kris joined the party.
"How did you get in here anyways?" I snap feeling my temper rise.
"Told coach you left your key-card at the rink and I was getting one for you. Because I am after-all a kind hearted man and would do anything for my teammate."

I roll my eyes and rinse my body of the body wash I had been using. One naked girl in the shower and five men outside. if this were anyone else that would be considered weird.

"We find out what bother Keller?"
"She says nothing is wrong but we've decided not to believe her".

What did they have some kind of BBM chat room that discussed my mood and techniques to corner me?

"Or we could leave before we all get our asses kicked", Kris tries to reason for which I was thankful, the water was starting to cool and I would not be happy if I ended up having to stand in a cold shower because my towel was sitting on the sink. Well it was, I wouldn’t put it past Max to hide it or throw it own the window only leaving me with a face cloth.

"I like Kris's idea!" I offer keeping the bite out of my tone, I hear Marc laughing and stick my head out of the curtain once more observing the scene. Max was sitting on the toilet once more, only this time his butt planted firmly on the tank. He had obviously just taken a shower himself before coming to interrupt mine because his hair was still wet and he'd put his glasses on for the night. Marc was in some pajama pants, cartoon characters that looked a lot like Spongebob on the fabric, he was sitting on the floor folding my much-needed towel into different shapes.

Well at least it hadn’t be hidden or thrown off the balcony. He’d give it up if I had to threaten him for it.

Jordan was obviously sitting much too close, still perched on the tub he looked up at me only a few inches away. As I said, this was highly inappropriate as was the smug grin on Staals face. Kris was standing by the door and looked like he was about five seconds from fleeing the room. His face was starting to grow red and I think he was becoming embarrassed by the fact I was naked right now.

This observation was lost on Evgeni though, he was leaning in the doorway, arms crossed casually and waggling his eyebrows at me jokingly.
"Want company Keller?"
"You guys are perverts" I laugh feeling my bad mood crack in that instant, Max joins in a moment later shooting me a wink before speaking, "But we're your perverts, that's what matters".

That is what mattered.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: No Sidney this chapter you guys, I figured Keller needed her friends and some time to think.
Continue with the reviews, I'm glad you guys are linking it and love hearing what you enjoyed!
Thank you subscrubers as well, all 75+ of you, drop a line some time, I don't bite!