Status: Abandon

Got A Secret?

Washington Capitals

"Who wanted to watch this lame ass movie" I complain from my seat at the back of the bus. I don't really know how I got stuck back here, alone. They all had their habitual seating arrangements and I wasn't going to try and break tradition, I'd just sit back here and read my Harry Potter book and complain about watching The Rocket, for what I'm pretty sure is the fifth time this month.

"It's not lame!" Max calls back turning in his seat to glare at me. I shrug and hold my book up in front of my face choosing to concentrate on that rather then the French-Canadian mutterings of Rocket Richard. This was obviously a Max pick, cliche yet he seemed to love this movie. No idea why, I had been forced to watch it once in High School for French class, maybe that's why I didn't like it.

"She's just pissed because we didn't want to watch the last Harry Potter movie" Jordan chirps, I kick his seat which was in front of mine before replying. "You guys never want to watch what I want to".
"That's because you either want to watch nerdy movies, or girl-y movies like 'The Notebook'"
"Hey, hey now. I've never suggest 'The Notebook', I want to watch a pump up movie not a sappy love story before a game. And to hell with this inspirational crap, could we at least watch Bon Cop, Bad Cop if we have to have some culture?" I question pushing my face between the two seats which Jordan had taken up, I scrunch up my nose as he uses his hand to push my face back and laugh.

I was playing tonight, starting to be exact with Sidney and Evgeni by my side in the front line. I was beginning to think of it as a war now a days. The season had started and we were getting into the swing of things, the team was out for the wins we deserved after the disastrous season Pittsburgh had with Sidney out, Evgeni out, the suspensions, injury's. All in all we all knew 2010 was not a good season, but we were going to change that around now as soon as possible.

I never thought I would be involved though, and was already nervous about tonight's game. We were traveling the 4 hours to Washington to play our biggest rivals. To be honest I didn't really want to make my starting debut against Washington, Ovechkin scared the shit out of me.
____________________________________________________________________________

"I think we should just walk in like the badasses we are"
"Or we could show that you guys have some manners and go ladies first?" Coach Dan interrupts our hushed conversation by the front of the bus making us all straighten up. I sigh, this was a crappy idea, I rather have let the boys strut in like badasses and I follow quietly behind them.

"Alright, I can do this" I mumble to myself smoothing down my skirt and blouse. Like the girl I was, I was dressed like one, heels and all since it was an away game. How I couldn't wait to get these shoes off, I loved them but they were slightly painful. I plaster on a smile and walk out the bus doors pausing at the bottom when a few flashes go off and momentarily blind me.
"I'll get your equipment, go talk to that lady waving like a lunatic" Jordan urges giving me a slight push towards a reporter.

"Ms.Keller! Ms. Keller! Quick question before you go into the arena. Rumor has it you're starting tonight, how do you feel about that?"
I sigh plastering on a large smile, "I'm really excited about tonight, whatever happens I'm sure it will be a great game, we're a great team but so are they so I think everyone's excited about the outcome and tonight's lineups". I answer dancing around the actual question, I feel a slight pressure on my elbow and turn to see Jordan holding the handle out to my hockey bag.

"Mr.Staal could I have a moment of your time please?"
I hold back a laugh while slipping away, falling into step beside Sidney. Coach liked when we arrived together, said it showed unity, that they were accepting me. I like to think it just showed our friendship. We had become closer over the last few months and I think people were beginning to pick up on it.

"Ready for the game?"
"I don't want to play the Capitals, Ovechkin looks like a donkey's ass" I whine, earning a few chuckles from my Captain. I smirk proud of myself as we make our way to the dressing room doing our best to avoid interruptions along the way.

"Crosby and Keller?" Coach Dan Byslma asks surprised by our questions. "They're like a unit, it's actually kind of amazing. People were calling Crosby and Malkin the 'Two-Headed Monster' last season, but truth is it should be 'Three-Headed Monster those three work so well together it's almost beautiful to watch. They spend a lot of time together, sometimes they're the last ones in the dressing room and when I walk in I find then joking around and usually arguing about something or other. You'd think they were siblings, it's been a good run so far".

Looking around the room I could see how tense everyone was. Some would glance at me before mumbling under their breath, others were concentrated on something else all together. Sure the team had been accepting of me joining, however I had yet to actually start, that was a whole different story all on its own. I knew their fears, me loosing them the game, me getting hurt, becoming the laughing stalk of the NHL. They were realistic, I had the same ones. I'd been sent in for some game time over the last few games, but this was the first one I would be starting.

I put my equipment on in order, the same order I always did. Chest pads, elbow pads, jill, pants, shin guards and socks. I always left the skates last, I never tired my own. Never. Usually I’d have my Dad tie them, if not him my brother, if not my brother a team mate. I couldn’t use the first two options so I went over to the only one who understood superstitions at a more extreme extent.

When I sit down with Jordan Staal I ask him about the relationship between Crosby and Keller, and focus my question on the rumor that has circulated that Keller doesn't tie her own skates.

"Oh so the others have mentioned the skate tying thing?" Staal asks me before leaning back in his chair across from me, smirking. "The first time she asked me, however she said I didn't tie them properly and complained the whole practice. Next I think she asked Max, but I don't think he even got his hands on her skate before she stomped away. I think it was just before our first game, Keller walked over to Crosby and just said his name. I don't know how he understood what she wanted but it was almost like watching a dance. He got down on the floor and she sat down in his seat. She handed him her skate and then offered her foot, he loosened her skate, slipped her foot in and then tied it. He looked up she nodded and then they repeated the process. After he taped the skate in place and then her socks down. It was...odd, it was like her understood exactly what she wanted, exactly what she needed. They have an interesting bond, I think it's because they're both superstitious freaks".


"Good to go?" Sidney asks as I try and shove my head between my legs in the standing position. I could hear Letang laughing above me and poke at him with the end of my stick.
"Not only are they going to boo at me but they're probably going to throw stuff if given the chance."
"You get used to the 'Go home Penguins' chant after a few minutes. If you hear it' its usually a good thing, means we're doing well. It angers them".

I take a deep breath and stand straight and smack at my helmet cage with my gloves making sure it's on correctly. "You wouldn't be in if you weren't ready, remember that" Sidney says quietly patting my shoulder. I nod and look up at him offering a small smile. I could do this.

"Before a game?" Right wing, Rachel Keller asks, "Before a game I usually freak out. I'm not going to lie it's all still surreal to me. It depends who we're playing against usually but I still always have a mini-panic attack before we skate out. Its only away games because I usually underestimate my fans I'm sad to say. I expect to be greeted by boos and curses, it usually takes some encouragement from Crosby and Letang's amusement at my situation to snap me out of it".

I skated as quickly as I could but I could still feel Ovechkin behind me, I shoot to my left passing the puck right onto Sidney's stick setting him up for a clear shot at net. He shoots but the shot is blocked and the whistle blown. I spin around to stare up at Washingtons most popular player. "Back off Sasquatch!" I yell, he'd been on my ass all night I thought he was suppose to have it out for Sidney, not me.

"Calm down little girl"
"Little? Who're you calling little!" I ask loudly giving his shoulder a big shove.
"You don't want to do that" he says quietly leaning down towards me, I skate back a few inches giving him a look of disgust, did he think he could intimidate me just because I was a girl?

"I can do what I want, I'm a big girl" I hiss using both hands to push him this time, for a moment I thought he was going to skate away. Only for a moment, before I could even think his glaves came off and he grabbed me into a headlock. I bring my elbow in and push it into his side as the snaps on my cage are undone and my helmet is pulled off.

I had a cage so for him to actually hit me and not harm himself he had to remove it.
"RACHEL!"
"KELLER!"

I could hear my name being called by multiple people as I slipped myself out of Ovechkins grip.
"Gunna be the first to hit the girl?" I taunt with another push, ducking as his arm shoots out to grab me. "Awh if you wanted a hug you could have just asked" I smirk ducking out of the reach of his other arm. I feel arms circle around me as I'm pulled away from Ovechkin, Sidney bending down to grab my helmet a head of me.

"Still scared of him?" Max asks leading me over to the bench where the guys were cheering and laughing. I shake my head with a snort. "Nope".

I thank Mr. Fleury for joining me before asking my question. “Rachels fight? She try’s to get into it with the guy who uh.. taunt her but they usually just skate away and don’t take her seriously. I think the best thing I’ve seen was her and Ovechkin. Sidney was a little mad at her, him and Geno worry that she get's hurt. But she doesn't listen to them too well. The funny thing is she usually uh.. starts the fights. I think she just wants to get it over with. I offered to punch her once but she swore at me so I guess it was a bad idea... I think she'll get one soon, someone will want to punch her eventually. She's kind of a pain in the ass...”.

"GENO!" I yell tapping my stick on the ice, I continue to move with him ready to receive the pass. Just like practice the puck hits easily on my stick and I skate quickly, formation, formation, fake left, shoot right, into the opening of the top corner.I hold my breath watching as the puck speeds towards the net, slipping right into the top corner. The buzzer goes off, and I scream.

No, fucking way. I just scored my first goal in the NHL... I just scored my first goal in the N fucking HL.. I just scored my, HOLY SHIT!

"WOOOO!" I scream pumping my fist three times spotting Evgeni who was skating towards me a big smile on his face. "Geno! I SCORED!" I yell rushing towards him to give him a high-five. I could hear the crowd cheering and the announcers, announcing my first goal. I see Sidney and skate towards him and launch myself at him, attaching myself to his neck.

"I JUST SCORED A FUCKING GOAL! I JUST! HOLY SHIT! THAT WAS AMAZING!" I yell into his ear allowing him to hug me back. "Sidney! I just scored!"
"Yes, yes you did" he laughs as I unwrap my legs from his waist, wondering how I managed to jump onto him in that position at all. With another quick hug I skate away to fist-bump my other team members. This night was nothing short of amazing.

"Rachel? She work hard. So she score goal. She very excited. I pass her puck and she shoot it in. We laugh after game because she gave me hug and tell everyone how I help her. Sid is very proud, I saw him smile at her, he went to talk to her on the ride home and then let her watch that...magic movie she like so much. Rachel good player, can't wait till she score next time". -Evgeni Malkin, comments on last Friday's game.