Status: Abandon

Got A Secret?

Taboo

"That was my sandwich...did you just take a bite of my sandwich?" Sidney's shocked voice asks from beside me. The two of us were in the kitchen area making our pre-game snacks. I look down at the bread in my hand and chew the chuck in my mouth. Yep, that definitely wasn't Nutella and peanut butter.

"I thought it was mine!" I defend feeling my eyes widen. Never had anyone messed with Sidney's sandwich and lived to tell the tale. I think he even get's a little pissed when people use his jam and peanut butter. But touching his sandwich was unheard of, it just wasn't done. Even if he was my best friend (one of them anyways). You know when you're with your best friend and they have something that looks delicious, so you take a bite? Yeah we had done that on occasion, team dinners when he orders better then I do, out to lunch when he has more fries or when I broke rules and got a yummy dessert and he stole half, but you never did that to his pre-game sandwich. Never. I look up at my Captain waiting for the freak out.

"It's fine, I'm going to go get dressed" he says after a minute taking his sandwich gently out of my hand and sending a wink my way as he left through the door. I stare in shock, that did not just happen. Taking a deep breath I pinch some of the skin on my arm, pulling up hard.

"Ouch" I hiss rubbing my arm quickly with my hand over the spot that was already starting to bruise. Well, I definitely was awake.

"Sid? Oh no, we don't interrupt his pre-game routine. The only one who's been able to get away with it is Keller, and her interruptions are usually pretty subtle but he deals with them. I think it's the fact their routines have kind of blended now, he's adjusted his to fit hers and hers to his. Before a game if you need one of them you usually can find them pretty easily, they're always in the same place at certain times". Talbot takes a minute to look at his watch, "5 o'clock. Crosby's making his peanut butter and jam sandwich and Keller's either eating a spoonful of Nutella or she'll have it on a sandwich with peanut butter if there isn't a spoonful left. They're creatures of habit. I should probably get back though, at 5:15 Keller comes in to use me as a verbal punching bag to practice her insults for the trash talk during the game".

Quickly I finish my sandwich and make my way back to the dressing room. I needed to get changed, and I needed to get these ridiculous thoughts out of my head. A wink? Why on earth would he wink? I half expected him to blow his top and start making another sandwich, I had pushed him many times and met little resistance but that was a first. I understood his love for the game, I really did. I understood that he liked to do things a certain way before hand because I did as well. I thought he needed to lighten up a bit and made sure I did that. I pushed him, challenged him, threw him curve-balls. He had met them all and tackled them, his routine now formed around mine. That part had been unintentional however.

"Cover anything you don't want seen!" I yell entering the dressing room, "or anything you know I don't want to see". I add remembering the few times Jordan had found it amusing to drop his towel stating he was 'extremely comfortable with his body' and I was urged to 'eat my heart out'.

I glance over at Sidney who was talking with Evgeni putting his own equipment on, he didn't look any different. No soppy looks of love, no oozing red aura pulsing around his body. Though I felt it, the same feeling I got when he felt my forehead when I was sick. This time I knew for sure that I wasn't going to puke either. I grab my under armor before sitting down, pulling the tight pants over my legs roughly. Ignoring Marc, who attempted to get my attention, pulling my equipment on in order only pausing to test some insults on Max.

Chest pads. "Your beard looks like saggy monkey nuts, might want to shave that off eh?"
Elbow pads. "What ugly tree did you sprout from?" Humm, that one was a little weak..
I stand and slip on my jill and pants, "Vous avez le cervau d'un sandwich au fromage". Telling someone they had the intelligence of a cheese sandwich was always good. I usually saved that one for when we played Montreal.

Sitting down I look up at Max, before glancing once more over to Sidney and Evgeni, "Пизда"
I mutter the word I usually saved for Ovechkin. After all calling anyone the 'bad-word' for lady parts was never really okay. Only reason I knew it was because he yelled it at me once, of course I didn't know why Evgeni went over to pummel him until after...

"Got anymore?" Max smirks, I cock an eyebrow before replying with my favorite German phrase. "Blas mir einen".
"J'taime" he replies, making me giggle. That wasn't the usual reply to 'suck my dick', but I suppose it was acceptable given I didn't have one.

I pull on my socks and then look up on the shelf at my skates. I could sit here and look at them all day, tie them myself, or do what I usually did. I take a deep breath and stand quickly grabbing the skates and sitting down once more with them in my hands ignoring the looks I was getting from Marc and Max. Oh yes everyone she's going to tie her skates, alert the media.

I put one on the floor and set to loosening the laces on the left skate, determined not to look over at Sidney. I could do this by myself, then there would be no gentle touching, smiles and certainly no butterflies erupting in my stomach. Maybe this is why they didn't put women in the NHL, they all knew that in the end we couldn't be professional and would develop some type of body torrents whenever we were around a certain team-mate/best friend/Captain.

I hated being a girl. Maybe I could get a team transfer next season? Which team had I not taunted into hating me? Oh Ottawa, I usually just sang Carrie Underwood songs whenever we played against them. If I switched teams, wait can I even do that? Well if I did then I would be free to jump Sidney's bon- WHAT AM I SAYING. Stupid hormones. What is going on, come on think, think. Sidney's nasty ass jock. The raunchy smell his equipment gives off if you stand too close.

"Rachel?"
I jump slightly at the sound of my name knowing exactly where it came from. I look up and meet his brown eyes, giving a small nod.
Grabbing my other skate I make my way over to his spot and hand him both skates trying to ignore the careful way he slipped my foot in, how he tugged firmly on the laces and would look up every so often to make sure they were tight enough.

Who was I kidding, I had a huge crush on my Captain and I didn't even notice until now.

"There is nothing going on between us. I don't know how many times I've answered this question". Rachel Keller, winger for the Pittsburgh Penguins answers shortly. "Crosby and I are team mates, so many things could be affected if something was going on. We are both professionals and love the game too much to risk something like that happening".

"I get asked that question a lot,"Captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Sidney Crosby says scratching his head. "Keller is a great girl, great friend and a great asset to the team. What happens off the ice shouldn't make it's way onto the ice, I don't think it's anyone's concern with what any of us do in our spare time. We're professional hockey players, before she joined the team we weren't asked so many personal questions about this sort of thing. I think I'll have to say 'No-Comment'."