Status: Completed :) Won 1st place!!

In the End

In the end it doesn't even matter.

"Come on, Peter. Pick up, please," I begged. Another ring and it cut to voice mail. I closed my eyes, pressing the End button, then leaning my head against the wall of the bathroom. I felt another wave of naseaua overtaking me and quickly turned to the toilet again. I scooted back from it after I was done and sat against the wall, uncaring at how filthy the gas station floor was.

I'd done what Peter had told me and left reluctantly. Unfortunately, I'd gotten sick a few miles back and continued to puke out the driver's door until I came to the gas station. It took me nearly half an hour in the bathroom before I'd taken a chance and reluctantly bought a pregnancy test.

It was positive.

I put my head in my hands, trying to hold back tears. It terrified me beyond belief. What was going to happen to Peter while I was gone? What would he think? He had to know, but he wouldn't answer his damn phone!

I got up slowly and made my way out to my car. I turned the vehicle around and headed back for the city, my mind racing ahead. It was an hour before I got back into the limits, the sun long since disappeared behind the tall buildings. I was on the verge of a panic attack. My hands were shaking as they held fast to the stirring wheel with a white knuckled grip. I dialled Peter's number over and over again, even desperate enough to call Nathan who also was refusing to answer.

I stopped the car along the street, trying to take a normal breath. Between my sickness, shock, and the overall insanity of the situation of the past few days was enough to push me over the edge again. Something was very wrong. I could feel it, the hairs on the back of my neck prickling, an uneasiness in my stomach aside from the nausea.

I started down the street again, focussing on my path. A bright light flickered from the side of the street. I stopped the car and slowly opened the door. There was a figure, standing in the center of what was known as Kirby plaza. The light radiated from whoever it was. It was the most insane thing I'd ever seen in my life. My curiosity got the better of me as I slowly made my way forward. When I got close enough, I was able to see the figure’s face.

It was Peter. His facial expression was that of pure terror. His skin was sickly pale as the orange light flashed from his body, a horrible, fantastical sight. Nathan was standing in front of him and after a few chosen words, he grabbed his brother.

"Peter!" I screamed.

His head turned to look at me, but Nathan leaped and the two shot into the night sky. I stood there, staring up, waiting, praying. A beautiful light suddenly flashed in the air, dispersing the clouds with a loud boom. It lit everything like a sun, making it day once again. I watched, mesmerized yet horrified, as it slowly faded from its own brilliance.

"Peter..." I said again, my voice barely above a whisper.

Hot tears poured down my cheeks as I fell to my knees and then to my side. I wrapped my arms around myself, trying to contain the pain that was trying to burst from inside. I was aware of other people there, but I didn't care. He was gone.

That beautiful, amazing light was Peter. Unable to save himself, he'd saved everyone else in a last effort. He would never know. He would never know about his child I carried. His child would never know him. Someone leaned over me, talking to me, but I didn’t know who. A sob broke from my throat and I tried to take in an anguished breath. It was true. You could try, and try, and try to get as far as you could in life–in love–but in the end...it didn't even matter.

The End
♠ ♠ ♠
Last chapter! Unfortunately, I could not find the episode that this is based off of since I have dial up and I ran out of time. The episode is "How to Stop an Exploding Man". And if you don't know Heroes, Peter and Nathan don't actually "die". He comes back in the second season. :)

Thanks to WaterxGoddess for helping me come up with the being pregnaunt idea. And also to my one subscriber! :)