Status: hope you like

Letters to Leslie

06

Leslie received two letters today, one from Ani, another from the prison in which she resides. Before reading the letter from the prison, she opened Ani’s. As she read she became increasingly worried. And what was that about the forest, and the lake. Sure she remembered, but why mention it now?

With shaking fingers Leslie picked up the next letter and slowly peeled back the flap.

Dear Mrs. Leslie Burke,

We are sorry to inform you that at approximately 3:30 am this morning Mrs. Ani Page committed suicide. Since her parents are deceased and she is over the age of eighteen we are passing ownership of her body to you. All her possessions will also belong to you as was in her will.

Please take our condolences.

Sincerely,
Ohio State Prison.

There was now teardrop staining the parcel, but Leslie didn’t care. The only thing she could think about was the fact that her best friend in the world was now dead. Sobs racked her body as she cried, forty is too young to die, she thought.

The following week Leslie held a wake for Ani. Her body was placed beautifully in the mahogany coffin. Her favorite flowers, calla lilies, were placed over her. Her favorite outfit sheathed her body, her hair done up in a ponytail, just the way she used to wear it.

Even her face gorgeous as it was, was scrubbed clean of make-up. Ani never could tolerate that stuff. Leslie sat in the church for hours, she was the only one there. Well, her and the warden. Both of their faces were stained with tears. Leslie was crying out loud now, attracting the wardens attention.

The plump woman walked over to her and placed a thick hand on her shoulder. “Don’t be sad honey.” She smiled at her, “Ani looks happier than she had in a long time.”

And she was right.
♠ ♠ ♠
cccoooooommmmmmmmeeeeennnnnnnnnnttttttssssssssssss