Dollhouses

01

Police cars and a single ambulance lined the gutters, my street was full of unwanted attention. I cringed, just thinking about the fact that I, myself, had called them to attendance. Tears rimmed my red eyes and my fingers were shaking, my mind was a mess and everyone could tell. Eyes followed me as a medic draped a blanket over my shoulders, a futile attempt at blocking out the cold wind, and led me to the edge of my lawn. He sat me down on the curb and bent over me, so we could see each other eye to eye.

“Allison, you have to be completely straight with us,” he murmured, the rough edge never seemed to leave his voice. “Who did this?” His eyes were soft, but his features were sharp, the gentle giant of sorts. Around these parts he could have been the puppet master among dollhouses. It was strange knowing he’d grown up here, the room across from mine, the same parents and upbringing. “Sis, you gotta help me out here,” he pleaded.

Part of me thought he was only trying to get ahead in his work, but I knew that he genuinely cared about my wellbeing. “Why are you a medic, Jay?” were the only words that could leave my lips.

He chuckled a little, shaking his head, “this isn’t the time, Ally.”

“I know,” I muttered, shivering a little in the Autumn winds. “You know I’m a heavy sleeper Jacob, I didn’t hear a thing. When I woke up,” I wouldn’t let myself finish. A pain in my chest immobilized my lips, I could do nothing but breathe and hear the sound of my heart beating brokenly out of tune.

Jacob groaned and slowly leaned over so that I was wrapped inside his arms, “It’s okay, but you’re still gonna have to come with me.” I nodded silently, following him into the small ambulance, the cramped space blinding me. I couldn’t look at the pale body and I most certainly couldn’t think about why it must have happened.