Status: Active, ©2010 Ashton Fos

The Butterfly Room

Chapitre Huit

Who knew someone who had never heard of shopping before could shop so much. Lumiere weaved in and out of stores like a drunken bee. As soon as we stepped out of the car and into our first store, her eyes widened when she saw the clothes in the windows.

"People wear those?" she asked wondrously wiping a thin line of sweat on her lip. I nodded feeling my wallet cower in fear in my back pocket. She slipped into the store beckoning me to follow. I shuffled past the racks of tote bags and leggings following Lumi Into the depths of the store. 

She flitted from rack to rack tossing things at me. 

"Jonah. I'm not going to lie, I don't know what half of this stuff is for but I'll just ask Tatiana. Cani put these clothes on to see how I look?" She asked in one torrent of excited and breathless wording. I pointed to the dressing room and she ran to it, her finds flailing behind her. I sat outside tapping my foot anxiously. First I was doing magic tricks by making a girl appear. Now, I was buying clothes for her. What next? Skipping down the yellow brick road? Lumi came out I the dressing room with a pale blue sundress, her sandy hair was pulled back so I could see the straps. I smiled, her eyes changed to the color of the dress.

"See? Everything matches now." she said jovially as I looked around to make sure no one saw her freaky eye trick. 

"Yeah, splendid." I said finally taking a good look at her. The dress hugged her in all the right places, her breasts pushed together at the top. I swallowed as she spun in a circle.

"You look like a butterfly." I said as she bit her lip and flitted back to the dressing room. After a moment of rustling around and clothes bing flung over the top of the curtain, Lumiere squeaked.

"Uh...Jonah. I need help." she said from behind the curtain. My face reddened, what could she possibly need help with? I stood up and approached the barrier cautiously. I could see her silhouette as she waited for me.

"Can I come in?" I asked. I saw her nod. Pulling the curtain aside I slipped in, hoping no one would see me. Lumiere was standing before me in panties and a burgundy bra, the clasp of the bra was stuck in her wild hair. She winced, little pricks of tears on her eyelids. I furrowed my brow and tried to ignore the tightening I felt in my lower regions. With careful fingers, I nimbly unhooked her hair from the bra without ruining anything. Lumiere rubbed her scalp when I was done and looked at me, her skin a glowing bronze and soft.

"Thanks Jonah. I don't know what I'd do without you." she said, her eyes a murky green. I opened my mouth to respond but was interrupted by my phone buzzing in my pocket. Lumiere jumped back. I laughed. 

"It's just my phone." I checked the caller ID and saw my mothers number. I sheepishly flipped it open.

"What's up?" I answered as Lumiere admired her body in the lingerie set. I let the room, was it hot in there or what?

•.    •.    •

Not far away, a man sat in a cafe near a cute boutique and sipped on a cup of coffee. He checked his watch, and examined the high noon sun from behind his sunglasses. The waitress came up to his table with her pad and pencil, plastering a smile on her face. She tried to keep her cool, but he could tell she was falling in love. Typical. 

"Is there anything else I can get you?" she asked fluffing her brown hair. The man shook his head and began to stand up when he saw the couple he had been following exit the boutique.

"No sweetheart, you don't have what I need right now." he said handing her his empty coffee cup and sprinting after the pair who were halfway down the street. He couldn't lose that girl again. 

•.    •.    •.  

     That night, Lumiere displayed all her new clothes to Tatiana while my parents fought in the next room. Tatiana tried to distract Lumi from hearing the shouts, but I could tell it bothered her. Like a butterfly, she would flinch at the growing noise . I was sprawled on the bed texting a friend of mine in Florida and watching Tatiana try on one of Lumieres new dresses.

"WELL WHY DID YOU EVEN COME AT ALL? You should have stayed with your whore." my mom spat at my father. Lumi looked to me as I sat up. Uh oh, things could get ugly. Just at that moment, the doorbell rang. Whoever it was came at an awful time.

"Who the fuck is that?" my father growled. Tati, Lumi, and I crept to the door, Lumiere so close to me, I could smell the strawberry shampoo she washed her hair with. Why did I keep thinking these things? I wondered moving away and cracking the door open so we could see. 

There was an outline of a tall man with dark hair speaking in hushed tones with my father. My father nodded rapidly and called my name. I stood up quickly almost knocking my head against my sisters. 

"And bring your friend." he added as I was halfway out the door. Lumiere pointed at herself confusedly. I shrugged nervously, not quite sure what my father wanted with us. We're we in trouble? Lumiere scrambled for some regular clothes as I left the room and walked to the den. 

My father sat in an armchair across from the sofa where a man sat. Not to be homo or anything, but this man was beautiful. He had the darkest brown hair I had ever seen and eyes as crystal blue as a shallow pool off the oceans shore. I stood awkwardly, hands in my pockets. 

"You called?" my father motioned to the sofa. I walked over and sat next to the man. He straightened his black button up and waited for my father to speak.

"Jonah, this man, ah-" my father forgot the mans name and waited for him to interject. 

"Mr. Marx." he said in a British accent. "I believe you are acquainted with someone that could be in a great amount of trouble. I believe you call her 'Lumiere'?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow Uhh this is awkward...I haven't updated in forever....but I'm back? Please don't kill me???