Status: To better understand some of the characters, read Bedtime and Awake, in which the characters appear in a timeline previous to the one in this story.

Desired

Marlboro.

I kneel down on the path through the garden, my spade turning over fresh dirt into hole were a newly planted Blue Lace Flower sits.
Patting down the soil gently, I tip the nose of the watering can downward, give the roots a good drink.

Picking up my weeder tool, I begin on the long task of removing all the pesky weeds that seem to pop up to murder the beautiful flowers over night.
They are almost as annoying as relatives.

As my arms start to ache, I lean back, groaning lowly.
I wipe the sweat from my brow and glance around the neighborhood.

An unfamiliar car pulls into the Porters' driveway and an unfamiliar boy gets out.

He's tall, taller then Blake, his hair is sandy brown.
His skin is fair and features soft, like Farrah almost, he's probably about 18. He jogs over to the front door knocking before being let in quickly.

Well he's not bad, granted not as nice looking as Blake, but he's type I'd get on board with. I bet he'll crumble like a cookie if I get the chance to work him. They always have.

Getting up, I toss my tools in my gardening basket, grab my watering can and head for the house.

I have a feeling I'm going to need to borrow a cup of sugar...

*X*

I change out of my grungy work clothing and pull on jean shorts and fitting, green tank top.

"Mom, I was going to bake some cookies, but we're out of sugar, I'm going to go borrow some from the Porters"

I say walking casually into the living room.

"Okay"
My mother replies, not looking up from the book she's reading.

As I walk across the street, I run a hand threw my hair, ruffling it slightly.
My lungs fill deeply, taking in a breath when my feet stop at the front door.
Letting it out, I bring my knuckles down on the wood.

A few moments of muffled voices and foots steps pass before the door swings open, there standing Farrah.
"Oh, hello Ruby, can I help you?"
She asks politely.

"Yes actually, I'm baking and I'm out of sugar, I was wondering if I could borrow a cup or two?"
I smile brightly, hooking my thumbs through the belt loops of my shorts.

"Yeah, sure. Come on in"
She steps aside, opening the door wider so that I can step inside.
Following her into the kitchen, I find Blake and the stranger boy sitting at the island.

"Hello Blake"
He looks over at me at me and nods a greeting without emotion.
The other boy smiles and stands up, holding out his hand.

"Hi I'm Asher, who are you?"

I clasp it firmly, smirking.
"Ruby, Ruby Wayne"

"Uh here's your sugar"
Farrah says quickly, shoving a measuring cup towards me.
Letting Ashers' hand drop I take it from her.

"Thanks, how 'bout when I'm done baking I bring some over since you were so kind as to help me out"

"That'd be grea- "Oh you really don't need to"
She cuts off Asher, a tense look on her face.
"I wouldn't want to bother you by making you come all the way back over here"

"Oh it's no bother- "I insist"
She says more sharply, a strained smile on her lips.

She doesn't want me around, that's for sure. I wonder what her problem is...

"Alright"
I reply cooly, shifting my weight before looking at Asher.
"If you want, come on over, your welcome anytime. 'Sides I think you'll love my cookies"
I say, looking the boy up and down, pausing at his eyes for a second to see that he understands the meaning of my words.
He does.

I swivel around on my heels, walking out the the door, swaying my hips.
I feels eyes on my back as I shut the door behind me.

Hook, line and sinker.

*X*

Barely an hour goes by before I hear a knock on the front door, my mother left 20 minutes ago to run errands, and my father is still at work, so I am completely alone.

Hurrying to the door, I swing it open, smirking at the sight of Asher.
"Hey stranger, glad you accepted my invite, come on in"

He mutters a 'Thanks', walking inside.
With a quick glance around, I shut the door silently.

"So that's a really awesome garden out there, you can't really see it from Blake and Farrah's"
He comments, gazing through the window.

"Yeah, it's gorgeous, like a lot of things around here"
I say, sauntering up to him, he looks over at me for a split second before moving a few strides away.

"Where did you come from before you moved in here?"

"Oh just some little dinky town in Indiana, nothing special about it"
I reply in a rush, I really don't want to talk about my hometown.

"Well Indiana's a beautiful state, you must miss the territory"

"Not particularly"
I mumble, running a run through my hair.
"Do you want something to drink?"

"Sure, that sounds great"

He follows me into the kitchen as get him a bottle of ice tea.
"I hope you like this, it's the only thing we have"

"Oh yeah, ice tea is my favorite drink"

"Great"
I smile brightly, leaning back against the counter and pulling a cigarette and my lighter from my pack pocket.

He watches me carefully as I light up and take a long drag.
"I love Marlboros, don't you?"

He shrugs shyly, looking down.
"I-I guess, they're okay"

I giggle at his reaction, knowing he's lying.
"Your a cigarette virgin aren't you?"
Glancing at me he nods, chuckling nervously.

"Aw there's nothing to be ashamed of, it's not like it's that great of a habit, I really should quit, but it just feels too good sometimes"
I say, closing my eyes and feeling the temporary high.

"I always wanted to know what it's like"

I open my eyes, staring at him for a moment before holding it out for him.
"Why don't you find out?"

Hesitantly he reaches out, taking it from me and placing it between his lips.
He inhales, then hurriedly passes it back, coughing slightly.
"That was g-good"

I laugh lightly, shaking my head.
"Your adorable"

He's facial features contort somewhat, as if he's shocked by this.
"Really?"

"Yeah"
I walk forward so I'm only a few inches away from his body.
"Very, very adorable"
I lean up and murmur the last part next to his ear.
Shifting slightly, I part my lips that are so close to his and- he moves away?
He moved away!


Jerking backward a few steps, he catches himself against the wall.
"I really should go"
He mutters, wringing his hands.

"So soon?"
My words are edged with stiffness, whiplash of the embarrassment of being rejected.

"Yeah, so soon. I'll um, see you later"
He says inching his away out of the kitchen, towards the front door, before finally dashing outside.

First Blake rejects me and now Asher? Seriously? What is it that a girl has to do to get who what she wants in this town?

Whatever is it, I'm going to find out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope it you liked it.

If you have any suggestions, please don't be shy, voice them :)

Thanks to meilishezhe, kissmyoops, , [url=http://member.mibba.com/142959/]TheStruggle, kids in love., Hell's.Angel and Augustana :)

There's something wrong with the BBcodes I guess, cause something got screwed up above and no matter how many times I rewrite it, it still comes out like that :/