Status: To better understand some of the characters, read Bedtime and Awake, in which the characters appear in a timeline previous to the one in this story.

Desired

Dysfunctional.

I lay out the the hammock on our front porch, the smell of the garden lulling me into a calm demeanor.
It's been two weeks since my fling with Riley, I haven't heard from him since, not that this a problem in any way, shape or form.

I also haven't seen the Porter's around much.
Sometimes I catch sight of Farrah making her way to school, or Blake and Mr. Porter leaving for work, or Mrs. Porter getting the mail, but that's really where it ends.

It's about 80 degrees in the afternoon climate, even a gentle breeze visits the neighborhood today.

I smile, completely comfortable, closing my eyes.

I pull, twist and yank my body away from whoever holds me against the wall.
I cannot see in this shadowy corridor, but I know it's a man, a very strong man.

"Let me go!"
I claw at his arms, but he grabs my hands pinning them to the wall above my head, his body acting as a weight to hold me place.

"How old are you?"
He growls loudly into my ear, the only way I could ever possibly hear him over the techno beats blaring.
I don't answer, only fight harder and harder to get away from him.
I won't let myself be overpowered, I won't.

I yelp in pain when he takes both my wrists in one hand, using the other to snatch my hair up and jerk it almost completely out of my scalp.
"How old are you?"

"What does it matter?"
I ask, staring into the black figure that has trapped me.

"I want to know, now tell me or I'm going to snap your neck!"

I hesitate, fear washing over me as I realize no matter how much I struggle, I'm still getting no where.
"I-I'm 12"
I stutter, my hands going numb for lack of circulation in my wrists.


"Ruby..Ruby, please wake up"
A small, delicate hand taps my shoulder.
Blurry eyed and disoriented, I groan rolling over to lie on my back, only to find myself in a pile on the wooden floorboards of the porch.

"Damn hammock, always plotting against you on gravities' side"
I grumble, picking myself up with a crick in my back.

The fragile looking blonde stands in front of me, covering her mouth.
I can see by the lines next to her eyes and shudder in her body that she's quietly laughing.

"I'm s-sorry, I shouldn't be l-laughing"
She giggles, shaking her head.

"It's okay, if I'm going to pull a stunt like the one of the three freaking stooges, I'm just asking to be laughed at."
I mumble, rubbing my sore back.
This girl might have her extremely peculiar, restrained and low moments, but at least I know she has the ability to laugh instead of just to glare.

"My mother just sent me over to give you this"
She holds out a small envelope.
Taking it and peeking inside I see a crisp 10 dollar bill.

"Oh that's very nice of her, tell her I said thanks."
I smile, carefully sitting back down on the hammock.
She nods and turns to go, then looks back at me, conflict written across her face.

"Can I, um, talk to you?"
She hesitates, brows furrowing into a worried expression.

"Yeah, sure"
My fingers wrap around the edge of the fishnet woven rope beneath me.

"You like my brother, right?"

"You could say that"

"Why?"

"Oh, because he-"
I stop, why do I like him?

Because of his appearance and mysterious attitude? And now that he's making it hard for me to get him, I want him even more? I'm not that superficial...Ah who am I kidding? Yes, I am!

"He seems very nice and sweet"
It wasn't a lie, he did really look like a nice person, but that's not the reason I want him.

"Oh"
She looks down at her hands, biting her lip.

After awhile of uncomfortable silence, I decide to break it, before I fall asleep again.
"How was your trip?"

"Good"
She says, looking up with a halfhearted smile.
"Everyone got sunburned, except Blake, he tans"

"Not surprising, you and your parents have blonde hair and fair skin, he's got dark brown hair and dark skin. Genes work in the strangest ways don't they?"
I state dryly, staring her dead in the eye.

"Y-Yes, they do. I should get going"
She pivots on her heel, walking hurriedly down the cobblestone path.

"Tell Blake I said hello!"
I call after, with a little wave.

*X*

I walk over to my dresser, opening my sock drawer and pull the small bottle of Jack Daniels that is hidden safely there.
I find a swig here and there is just the touch to end a day well.

Unscrewing the bottle, I bring it to my lips, taking a mouth full before putting the top back on.

"Your not going to offer me any?"
Riley wraps his arms around my smaller body, pulling it back into his.

"I don't know, have you earned it?"
Turns out, Riley choose to stay with his aunt and Asher for the rest of the summer.
He doesn't know anyone here, and I'm not keen on anyone in this town, because of those things, we've developed a very unhealthy and dysfunctional pattern.

My parents both work until 8, Tuesday-Friday, he comes over at 6, leaves at 7:30.

We have absolutely no emotions, except for pleasure, invested.
If he were to leave tomorrow and never come back, I wouldn't care one bit, and he feels exactly the same.

"You tell me"
He turns me around, picking me up and setting me on the dresser.
His kisses are sloppy and lazy, as are mine, our effort worn out from previous events of tonight.

"You gonna have to do better then that, boy."
I breathe into his ear, softly dragging my nails up his chest.

He grabs my thigh, roughly yanking my hips into his.
A knock on the front door, makes me pull away with an unhappy groan.
I shove Riley away, hurrying to pull on a robe and rush down stairs.

I yank the door, tying the robe shut.
"Mrs. Porter"
I stand up straighter, shoving my sweaty hair out of my face.
"What are you doing here?"
I smile, trying to be polite, but panicking slightly on the inside.

If she finds out about Riley, she'll rat me out to mom and I'll be so screwed...

"I just wanted to ask your mom something, is she here?"
She asks in that calm, warm voice of hers.

"Sorry, she's at work"
I apologize, glancing behind me when I here a noise.
Riley stands at the top of the stairs, in only jeans.
I shut the door enough so she can't see upstairs.

"Oh I'll come back tomorrow then, I'm sorry I bothered you, were you taking a nap?"
She inquires, looking at my disheveled self.

"I've been in bed most the evening, yes"
I chuckle, keeping the top of my rob shut with on hand.

"Well, I'll let you get back to it"
She smiles, waving goodbye as she leaves.

The door isn't shut for two seconds before I'm flipped around and pushed up against it.
"We haven't been here before"

"Yeah, and lets not make it one of the places"
I mutter, pushing away from him, he catches my hand.

"Where then?"

I smirk at him, getting an idea.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, another update already? I'm back baby!
Rubys' dreams may not make sense now, but you'll understand soon, if you don't already :)

Editing was done by kaelxsaid :)

Big thanks to kissmyoops, Hell's.Angel and sensations. :)