Blue Sky and Other Things That Are Good For You

“If you think you’ve had too much of this life, hang on. Cause everybody hurts sometimes."

All the ‘nineties’ kids were gathered in our room because it was the biggest, making plans.

“okay, so, we cant’ do anything too harsh.” Bridget says. And the boys groan, “come on guys, they’re under ten!” she defends.

“I agree with Bridget, we can’t be totally evil to them.” I say.

“how about telling them Santa isn’t real.” Kyle offers.

Ryan and some other guys laugh, “if you want your ass kicked by parents, be my guest.” Ryan says. I had to agree with him, staying away from the whole Santa deal would be for the best.

The room was quiet as we all sat to think of what we could do. “I’ve got it.” Sam says, and has everyone lean in.

His plan would be priceless.

As the night went on, everyone got what they needed and we set out to the kids’ rooms. We were each paired with someone, obviously I was with Ryan. “okay, you got the snakes?” I whisper to him, he see him nod and hand me a couple. I slip them under the covers, sure to not wake Sydney. Then we moved onto Charlies bed and completed our mission.

At about seven in the morning we heard screams. That’s what woke me up at least, Charlie was already out of bed and dressed by then, standing by the window.

I quietly slip out of bed and walk over to him, wrapping my arms around his waist. “what’s up with you and windows?” I ask.

He smiles down at me, kissing my forehead. “supposedly, since they’re open, they help you think. While if you stare at a wall your mind goes blank.”

“hmm. Interesting.”

“think the prank went well?”

“oh, I know it did.” I smile, and stand there with him, staring out the window. It was our last day here, meaning I wouldn’t be seeing the family again until January, when the wedding was.

“let’s go say goodbye to people.” I tug on Ryans hand, finally making him follow.

“fine.” He mumbles.

After I quickly change, we meet everyone down in the lobby for one last breakfast together.

“and don’t forget to text me like everyday!” Bridget orders me.

“yes ma’am!” I joke. She gives me one last ‘too tight’ of a hug and then skips off to her parents.

I turn to Ryan and wrap my arms around him, looking up into his eyes. “guess what?”

“hmm?” he replies

“Christmas music is played almost all the time for the next thirty days or so.” I say happily.

“you, of all people, like Christmas music?” he asks, not believing it for a second.

I nod my head eagerly against his chest, “it’s my weakness.” I say.

“I thought I was your weakness??” Ryan sounded hurt which made me giggle.

“you actually remembered something for once. And yes, you are, Christmas music is in close second though.”

“damn, I’ve got competition.” I laugh and lean back in his arms. He takes this as a chance to lean down and kiss me on the lips.

I pull back first, not wanting to show that much affection in front of everyone. “later.” I whisper.

He nods, disappointed, and slides his hand down to mine, intertwining our fingers.

“when’s your birthday?” I ask, realizing I never knew.

“it’s a secret.”

“well then I’ll just have to get you a present everyday. I’m bound to get it right at some point.”

“unless it was on February 29th.” He says.

“unless- wait! Your birthday is on February 29th?!”

“I didn’t say that.”

“but you implied it.” I say, “is it really your birthday on leap day?”

He nods shyly, “that is so cool!” I exclaim.

“it sucks. I don’t even get a real eighteenth birthday.” He pouts which makes me giggle.

“I’m sure it’ll be the best eighteenth birthday ever.”

“Ryan, how about you take Sky home. We can give Scarlet and Sam a ride back today.” His mom comes up and says.

“okay mom.” Ryan replies with his signature smile. She walks off to another group. “ready to go then?”

“I’ve been ready to go since I met you.”

“ouch.”

“that was harsh, huh?” he nods as we leave the building, “well, sorry then. Yes, obviously, I’m ready to go.” We got into his car and quickly turned up the heat since it was cold. Then he drove out of the parking lot and back to his house.

I look over at him confused, “why are we going to your house?” I ask.

“got a surprise for you.” he answers, getting out of the car and I follow.

“you know I hate surprises.”

“I do. And I know you’ll hate this one.” He opens the front door and practically the moment I walk in he closes and relocks the door. He pulls me up to his room and once again shuts the door behind him.

“Ryan, what are you-“ before I could say anything more, his mouth was covering mine urgently. He pressed me against the wall and held me up with his arms. Damn I could get used to this. I pull back a little to catch my breath and he moves his lips to my neck. “-are you doing?” I finish my question.

He lifts me up and carries me over to his bed, “you said later.” He whispers huskily and then goes back to kissing me.

I didn’t question any further. Some time later we were lying on his bed, cuddled up closely. Ryan would steal kisses randomly but nothing as intense as what went on ten minutes ago.

“ready for the play yet?” he asks.

“as ready as I’m going to be.” I reply.

“you’ll do great as always.”

I laugh, “yeah, always…” I joke, “hey, we never finished the movies.”

“we didn’t, did we.” I shake my head no, “well, would you like to?”

“sure, might as well. Though that means I have to move and I really don’t feel like moving.” He laughs and then does something that I was only slightly expecting. He lifts me up in his arms and carries me downstairs. “though when I have a boyfriend like you I don’t need to walk.”

Ryan stops on the stairs. Just freezes. It took me a minute to realize what I said. How was I supposed to cover that up?

“sorry, it’s just the whole weekend we had to go by that. I’m used to it now.” Ryan nods slowly and continues to the living room.

Ryan slips in the Keira Knightly version and sits back on the sofa. I grab the pillow that was next to me and set it on his lap, laying my head on it. He laughs and plays with my hair while skipping through all the previews. I decided about half way through that this was my favorite. Maybe it was because Keira Knightly was the main actress, or maybe it was just how the scenes played out.

Ryans stomach growls with hunger, making me laugh. “someone’s hungry.” I mention, sitting up and stretching a little.

I grab the remote and pause the movie before heading off to the kitchen with Ryan in tow. “what would you like?” I ask, turning to face him.

“I would like…” he thinks for a second, “Mac n’ Cheese.” He finishes and then walks into the pantry and comes out with a box of Annies Mac n’ Cheese, Arthur version. You know? The cartoon on PBS? Best show ever! haha.

“the kids won’t mind?”

“they won’t notice.” I take the box from him and separate its contents. Ryan made his way upstairs without a word as I made the snack. As I was straining the water out of it, I feel arms wrap around me.

“well nice to see you again. Where did you disappear to?”

“it’s a surprise.”

“two surprises in one day? Aren’t I a lucky girl.”

“mmm, yes you are.”

“well, let me finish this.” I say, grabbing the cheese packet, milk, and butter. Once I finish mixing it all together I turn to face him, “okay, what is it?”

“a surprise, duh!” I roll my eyes. “fine. Here.” He hands me a bag from Nordstorms and I stare at him. What did he get me at such an expensive store? I wearily open the bag and find myself looking at a box of shoes.

I look up at him confused. “I noticed your converse were tearing.” I look down and indeed there were a couple wholes and wears.

“thank you.” I say and lean up giving him a quick kiss. When I pull back he lets out a sigh of relief, “what were you worried about?” I giggle, and serve two bowls of the food.

“thought you might’ve gotten mad at me.” He replies and takes one of the bowls.

“well I didn’t. come on, lets go finish the movie.” I grab his hand and drag him back to the living room.

“we already know how it ends Sky.”

“you never know for sure…” I say and press play on the remote. Of course the ending was the same, they get married and kiss. Just like the book, just like every other movie.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Song: R.E.M.
comment.subscribe.befriend.promote.
please.
<3 justrealizelife