Blue Sky and Other Things That Are Good For You

“Take my hand, live while you can...”

Life around Ryans house when everyone was gone is quite boring. It’s so big and lonely when no one is around to hang out with. I literally sat in his room all day and did homework. That is until Scarlet burst into the room and dragged me into hers.

“hi?”

“we’re getting you ready.” She states simply.

“for?”

“the date! What else?” I shrug and let her spend the next hour and a half “transforming” me. Thirteen outfits later I was ready, at least to her. She put me in a pair of dark skinny jeans, a navy blue low-cut shirt and black boots. My long hair was curled to about shoulder length and she put a small amount of make-up on me. I didn’t look terrible. Luckily it wasn’t totally out of my comfort zone. It was 4:55 when Scarlet left my room, or Ryans room. I turned on some music and fell back on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. At 5:15 Ryan came rushing into the room. He must not have noticed that I was there because he started running around the room, changing clothes. When he was attempting to brush his hair, button his shirt, and button his pants at the same time I accidentally laughed. Ryans head shot around at the sound and found me on the bed.

I stand up and walk over to him, “how was school?” I ask while buttoning up his shirt.

He watches me as I do this and then replies “quite boring. Religions class isn’t the same without you.”

“Well, I sat in your room all day and did absolutely nothing. So it couldn’t have been as boring as that.” I button the last button and then take a step back.

“I’d rather be here with you doing nothing than be at school without you.”

“wow, that was quite cheesy.” I laugh and lean up, kissing him quickly on the mouth. “so, what are we doing tonight.”

“going to dinner.” He answers and takes my hand. He leads me up three more flights of stairs and then finally opens a door. I step out and notice that it’s the roof of the house.

“we’re having dinner on your roof?”

“yeah, I was too tired to actually go out tonight. I hope this is okay.”

“okay?! I love it!”

He smiles widely, “great. Come on, we only have about an hour before we’re supposed to be downstairs for some wedding stuff.”

I laugh and Ryan pulls out one of the seats. I sit down and take the napkin off of the table.

“so, what’s being served?”

“pasta.”

“wow, so original.”

“give the guy a break.”

“sure, sure.” I look at the table, “there’s only one plate.” I comment.

He takes his fork and twists some noodles around it before putting it up in front of my mouth. “this is about the time you open your mouth and take a bite.”

I smile and do as he says. We spend the next half hour talking and laughing and just hanging around. Soon though, we were dragged down to the living room to discuss wedding stuff.

“the hotel says that they don’t have room for everyone to have single rooms.” Lydia complains.

“so we can pair people.” Her mom says, “like Ryan and Sky can stay in the same room. right you two?”

“um…” Ryan says.

“of course we can.” I answer for both of us. “that won’t be a problem.”

“Great. That takes care of one! Now we have about five more to pair up.” That’s what we spent the rest of the night doing, pairing people up.

When Ryan and I make it back to his bedroom, I instantly slip out of the clothes that I was put in and fall back onto the bed. I was currently just wearing my bra and boy shorts. Ryan came out of the bathroom in his usual attire for bed and sat on the bed next to me.

I watched him as his eyes scanned my body, though I didn’t really mind. My swimsuit covers just as much as this does. I notice his eyes stop on my left leg and I assume he spotted all of my scars. He runs his thumb across one on my thigh and looks down into my eyes.

“what happened?” Ryan asks worried.

This is where things get really embarrassing. I would, in some cases, much rather have cut myself or been abused or something like that because the story wouldn’t be as bad as mine.

“I really don’t want to tell you.” I say honestly.

“Sky…”

“fine. I was like twelve. I went to the beach with Cathy and her husband and, well…” I pause to take a breath, “the view was really pretty and I stood on a rock to get a better picture with my camera. The rock was covered with barnacles and it was, I will admit, still wet from the tide just going out. But I wanted the picture. So I stood on it and just as the flash went off I slipped and scraped up my whole leg.” I explain.

He cracks a smile, “all of those are from barnacles?” I nod my head, “not exactly what I expected.”

“I know.”

“what about this one?” he brushes his finger against a scar just above my left hip.

“chicken pox. Nothing to interesting.” He runs his hand up my body and down my left arm. I must admit that this felt 100% amazing.

“and this one?” he was pointing to a line at the bottom of my thumb.

“paper cut. A very deep paper cut.”

He laughs and moves to the scar that was in the middle of my palm, “and what happened here?”

“when I was thirteen, I was at the beach again with Cathy and her family. All of her brothers and sisters were there plus their kids and so I had people to ‘play’ with. I really didn’t want to but the kids kept bugging me so we were playing tag on this humongous rock that was covered with barnacles. I slipped and got this big cut in my hand.”

“barnacles again?” Ryan laughs.

“shut-up.”

“just saying. Maybe you should stay away from them.” I stick my tongue out at him as he continues on. I knew there was only one more scar that I had.

“what about the one on your head?” it was just under my hair line, hard to see unless you looked close enough.

“I was seven and my dad was moving a couch from one truck to another. They were backed up against each other so that all we had to do was push the couch over. Since I wasn’t old enough to help, I sat on the side of the truck with my feet inside the opened back area thingamajig. They were on a piece of plywood that was placed for the couch to sit on. When the couch was pushed to one end of the plywood, the other end, the side I was on, flipped up. I did a backwards flip and hit the cement below me. Surprisingly I didn’t need to get rushed to the hospital or anything.”

“wow, that sucks.”

“yep.”

“all of your scars are on your left side.” He points out, as if I never would have noticed this before.”

“mhmm.”

Ryan slips his arm under me, lifting me up just enough to pull the blankets out from under me. He sets me back down on the bed and covers us with the blankets. I turn from facing the wall to facing Ryan. Our faces were close together, like they seemed to always be. “thank you.” I whisper.

Ryan smiles, “for what?” he asks.

“for everything.”

“everything, huh?” I nod my head slowly. “well then, you’re welcome.” Ryan wraps his arms around my naked torso and pulls me closer to him like he would any other night. Tonight though, with neither of us being fully covered, this action seemed much more intimate. I was barely asleep when Ryan whispered those three simple words into my ear.v
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Song: Ordinary Day by Vanessa Carlton
comment.befriend.subscribe.promote.
<3 justrealizelife