Blue Sky and Other Things That Are Good For You

“They say it's your birthday, we're gonna have a good time.”

It was the day before Ryans birthday and I was getting a little nervous. Not only had I still not found him a present, but there was also this whole party-planning thing that I really wasn't good at.

Not like I was really throwing that big of a party. There were only going to be twelve people there. That seems like a lot but really, compared to ALL of Ryans friends, twelve was a very small number. I decided on his five closest friends and then their girlfriends (or dates for the night) and then I invited Katie and her boyfriend Mike. The only problem was getting him away from me long enough to talk about the party.

“so, what did you get him?” Katie asks, setting her plate of food down and taking a seat next to me. Mike sat down next to her and the rest of the guys (Joel, Eli, Nate, Dominic, and Conner) sit down in spots around the table. Ryan was currently talking to his math teacher about something.

“I haven't.” I answer, taking a bite of my salad.

Nate just about chokes on his drink, “need I remind you his birthday is tonight?”

“actually, his birthday doesn't exist.” Conner says.

I ignore Conner's comment, though it was true, “I know, I just don't know what to get him. I'm terrible with presents.”

Katie laughs, “well, we can help you. Right guys?” she asks the table.

All the guys look clueless, “huh?”

“you're going to help Sky get Ryan a present.”

“I highly don't remember agreeing to that.” Joel replies.

I sigh, “it's not that hard. He must have told you guys at some point what he wants.”

The five of them all exchange unsure glances and then their eyes land on me, “nope, I don't think he's mentioned it.” Dominic says.

“yeah, haven't heard one detail.” Conner adds.

Eli looks at the two as if they're dumb, “But I remember him saying-” Joel slapped him in the back of the head, “ow, what was that for?!”

“because you're stupid, that's why.” Joel says and then looks back at me, “he hasn't said anything.”

Something didn't seem right about those answers, “Eli, would you like to finish your sentence?”

“oh, yeah, he was talking about how he wanted to-” Nate covered his mouth this time.

“seriously Sky, you do not want to know what Eli is about to say.” Nate says.

“Come on Nate, it can't be that bad, can it?”

“it's not bad. Trust me, it's actually pretty sweet. But he would kill us if you actually gave him that on his birthday.”

“okay, so you don't want to say it. Just a hint?”

“you wouldn't actually have to buy anything.” Joel says.

I look down at my food, blushing, “oh. Nate, you can uncover his mouth now.”

“so now you know why we didn't want to tell you.” Nate says.

Katie looked confused, “I'm lost. What does he want?”

Mike laughs and shakes his head, “you're amazing, you know that? And naïve.”

“hey!”

I roll my eyes at their argument and go back to the other guys, “so, what else would he like?”

“okay, here's the problem,” Conner starts, “we're his friends, yeah, and we've been friends for awhile now. But you know who really knows him? Blake. And they aren't talking.”

“oh my god! Thank you Conner!” I jump out of my seat and close the top to my container.

Conner looks at me like I'm crazy, “what did I do?” he asks everyone and they all shrug as I rush through the lunchroom to where Blake sat with a group of jocks. All eyes were on me as I stood beside the table.

“Blake, could I talk to you please?” I ask.

I was waiting for some nasty reply or something but that didn't come. He nodded and got up from his seat, excusing himself from the table.

“what do you want?” he asks slightly rudely when we're away from the table.

“I need your help with something.”

“no, I'm not going to cure your virginity.”

I stare at him like he's crazy, “uh, thank you?” I say, “that wasn't what I need your help with.”

“oh, whoops.”

“anyways, you've known Ryan since you guys were little, right?”

“yeah, I guess.”

“you guess?”

“look, what do you want Sky? I don't have time for all this nonsense. And if you haven't noticed, I haven't talked to Ryan since Halloween.”

“fine. Do you have any idea what he would want for his birthday?”

Blake smirks, “I can think of a few, yeah.”

“that's not sexual.”

his face drops like he's thinking, “um, a couple.”

“and those would be...?”

“why am I helping you again?”

“you know what, never mind.” I start to walk away but he gently grabs my wrist and pulls me back.

“wait, that was out of line. Sorry.”

“yeah, cause that apology was convincing.” he let go of my wrist.

“Ryan-” before he could finish the sentence someone punched him in the jaw. I looked to my side and saw a very unhappy Ryan standing there.

“talk to her again and I'll do more damage than that!” Ryan yells at him and then pulls me back to the lunchroom.

“um Ryan?” I ask and he stops.

“what?” he asks, still sounding mad about what had gone on in the halls.

“I was asking Blake for help because I didn't know what to get you for your birthday. He wasn't doing anything.”

“why were you asking Blake?”

“because Joel, Eli, Nate, Conner, and Dominic were no help. And I know that you and Blake had been friends since you were kids so I thought he'd have an idea.”

his face softened, “so I just punched somebody for no reason.” I nod my head, “shit.”

I grab his hand and pull him back toward where we left Blake, “come on, how about you go apologize.”

“why would I want to apologize?”

“because it's not like you to randomly punch people and I know you feel terrible at the moment.”

“fine.”

Blake was leaning against the lockers when we showed up. He saw us and started defending himself, “look, dude, I seriously wasn't doing anything, we we-”

Ryan cut him off, “I know. That's why I'm apologizing. I shouldn't have punched you.”

Blake chuckles, “I wouldn't put it behind you to want to do much more than that.”

I step back from their conversation, deciding it was something that they needed to work out between themselves. Instead of going back to the cafeteria I go to Cathy's office to talk with her.

“Sky, haven't seen you in here in awhile.”

“I know, sorry about that.” I say, taking a seat across from her. “how have you been?” I ask.

“how have I been? I've been great. What about you? I feel like so much has happened since we last talked.”

“well, I would tell you, but I think I'd have be excused for the rest of the day practically.”

She laughs, “we can arrange that.”

I smile, “so, Ryan and I are now official if you haven't noticed.”

“oh, I've definitely noticed that one. But it sounds as if there's something else on your mind.”

“There is. Um, I kind of wish I had called you but I didn't want to interrupt your Christmas.”

“what is it Sky?” her voice filled with worry now.

“Mary was at the Richards' Christmas Party.”

“Mary Richtel? Your Aunt Mary?” I nod and her eyes widen, “what happened?”

“well, Ryan had told her my whole name was Blue Sky and then she told me she was my Aunt and I fainted. Later that night she came into my room and was asking how my parents were and all of this stuff and I basically flipped out on her saying she had no right to finally be interested in my life. I mean, I said some pretty bad stuff to her but I don't regret one bit of it, is that weird?”

“no, not at all. If I saw Mary, I would have done the same thing.”

“well Ryan and I fought over it, which was our first fight, and I had slept in the guest room that night which I guess wasn't that big of a deal. Anyways, the point of the story is that I met one of my aunts.”

“I'm sorry. I'm sure you didn't want to meet them.”

“yeah, I didn't.”

“was there something else you wanted?”

“I was wondering...” and then I go into description on what I wanted to get Ryan for his birthday.
~~~


“you're telling me that you and Blake made up?” Nate asks Ryan for the millionth time in the Limo. We were picking everybody out and heading for a night of fun. Ryan had asked us to pick Blake up too.

“he was drunk and screws anyone. Plus Amanda was cheating on me, so why should I blame Blake for that.”

“if you say so man.”

Joel looks at me weirdly, “you didn't happen to have anything to do with this, did you?

“um, how could I have?”

“well, when Conner mentioned Blake you ran off and now they're back to being friends.”

“trust me, I just wanted him to apologize for punching Blake. All of the other mushy stuff I had nothing to do with.”

“it wasn't mushy!” Ryan argues and we all laugh, “we just missed each other.”

“mushy.” Conner coughs.

The driver stops in front of Blakes house and I go up to get them. Ryan, as I should probably explain, had a blindfold on so that he didn't know where we were going or who was really in the car. Though he knew the second part because of voices. But we had been messing with him the whole night by having one of the guys sit on his lap and him thinking it was me, or they'd kiss his cheek or something. It was really fun.

I ring the doorbell and Blake answers with a girl standing next to him. When I was told that Blake was coming, I took it into my own hands to inform him to bring a date.

“Hey Sky, this is Sara, Sara, this is Sky.”

“hi.” I say.

She smiles and waves slightly. “what, did you finally land one that won't fuck you?” I whisper to Blake when Sara starts toward the limo.

“that is non of your business.” we all climb back into the limo and finally head off to the laser tag place.

As the 16 of us stand in front of the building, I begin to untie the blindfold, “ready babe?” I ask.

“Since you guys have been messing with me all night, I'm definitely ready for the blindfold to be taken off.”

I laugh and pull it away from his eyes, “we're playing laser tag!” everyone screams.

Ryan laughs, “okay, best birthday ever.”

“your birthday doesn't actually-” Conner starts but gets interrupted.

“shut-up Conner!” we all say.

“fine, be that way.”

“come on,” I pull on Ryans hand, “we have the place to ourselves until 11:00.”

“party room included?”

“party room included.”

“yes!” Ryan pumps his free hand into the air and I smile. He could be such a child sometimes.

We all make our way inside and get geared up for two hours of pizza, laser tag, and fun.

When 11 came around we piled back into the Limo and drove to the next destination which wasn't as exciting. We were going back to the house to have a 'sleep'over. Mainly because the cake I made was at the house and I didn't want to transport it anywhere.

“what should we do for half an hour?” Joel asks as we enter the empty house. Jane and Henry had promised the house to us for the night so they were on a short vacation.

“well, I have to finish with the cake, so I won't be too much fun.” Ryan pouts, “aw, don't worry, you have to hang out with the guys anyways. I hear they have some pretty big surprises for you.”

the girls follow me into the kitchen and mostly just sit around and chat as I get the chocolate swirls out of the fridge and place them gently on the cake.

“seriously Sky, how do you do that?” Sara asks, watching me decorate it.

“lots and lots of practice.” I answer.

“well it looks amazing.” everyone agrees.

“thanks.” I look over at the clock and notice it's 11:55. “and just on time. Can you guys go get the boys into the dining room please?” I ask as I start to light the candles. They nod and run off.

The dining room was decorated and had the presents there already and was also one of the only rooms that really fit everybody comfortably. Katie gives me the okay and I carry the flaming cake into the room, setting it in front of Ryans seat. Before everyone starts to sing I light the sparkler and notice Ryan grinning from ear to ear.

We all sing happy birthday and Ryan blows out the candles, well, all of them except for the sparkler. Katie flicks the lights on and Ryan turns to me.

“you made this, didn't you?” he asks.

“store bought cakes are disgusting.” I comment.

He laughs and kisses me, “Well, it looks better than any store bought cake I've seen.”

“amen to that.” Sara says. “now lets see how delicious it tastes!”

“and lets open presents.” Katie offers. So we do both.

Ryan starts with Katie and Mikes present, which was a new case for his Ipod, something he had been looking for for awhile now.

Next he opened the present from all the guys. It was a Blue Sky. “okay guys, where's the real present?” Ryan asks.

“what? You asked and we gave.”

Ryan glances over at me and I blush.

“next.” Ryan says, and I hand him the present from Blake. It was wrapped very neat and I wondered if Blake had actually wrapped it himself. Inside the box was a red helmet. “you didn't.” Ryan says.

Blake tosses him a set of keys, “my uncle was selling it so I made a little deal with him.”

“please tell me you didn't just get him a motorcycle Blake.”

“I didn't get him a motorcycle.”

“honestly?”

“honest. I got him a vespa.”

I let out the breath I had been holding, “okay, good. Those can't go as fast.”

Ryan laughs and pulls me onto his lap, “glad to know you're worried about that.”

“always.” he kisses my cheek and I smile, “now come on, mines the last one.” I say, reaching over and handing him the box.

“should I be worried?” He asks the group and they all shrug.

“don't ask them. Did you know your friends are absolutely no help?”

they all shouted their own, “hey!” while the girls just nodded in agreement. Ryan took off the paper and opened to box to reveal a medium sized bird house.

“you made me a birdhouse?” he asks, looking up at me confused.

“isn't it cute? But actually, your real present is inside the-” I stop myself, “the envelope is on the other side.”

“ah, come on, make a dirty joke! It's good for the soul!” Joel says.

“I'd rather not pervert!” I reply. Ryan opens the envelope and smiles, slipping it back in.

“did you make that too?” he asks.

“The one you and I will be staying in, yes.”

“what is it?” Eli asks, impatiently.

“a week at Shaw Cabins for all of us.”
“well, four days for them.” I say

“for when?”

“Spring Break.”

At about six in the morning the group decided they wanted to go home and sleep. Which was probably a good idea since we hadn't slept at all over the night.

The radio was on the song just switched to 'Bubbly' by Colbie Callait. Suddenly I was lifted from my seat on the sofa and Ryan had his arms around me, swaying us back and forth.

I look up at him, “what are you doing?”

“we are dancing.”

“so I noticed. Why are we dancing?”

he leans in close, “do I need a reason?”

“I guess not.” he starts to whisper the words to the song in my ear, making me giggle. The song comes to an end and Ryan pulls back a little. “you know, this has honestly been the best non-birthday ever.”

I tighten my grip on his neck, pulling me up closer so that I could kiss him. When I pull back he sits us down on the sofa so that I'm straddling him. “how so?”

He takes my hand and starts to draw random things on my palm, “hmm, Blake and I patched things up, I got the Vespa I always wanted, we played laser-tag, and my wonderful girlfriend got me the best present I could ask for. That enough reasons?”

“I was going to settle for, 'because you're here.' But those work too.”

“it's been the best everything because you're here.” I smile and kiss him again, this time not pulling back. “I love you,” he whispers, his lips barely grazing mine in the process, moving them down to my neck.

I moan a little as he starts to nibble at my sweet spot. “I love you too Ryan.”

each time I said those words, I was weakening. My wall was coming down piece by piece, slowly getting destroyed. That wall though, was my strength, and without it I'll be as vulnerable as ever. I know right now, that if any obstacles came my way, I wouldn't be able to do them by myself. And no, that's not just because Ryan's at my side all the time. It's because I would want Ryan by my side. Maybe even need him.

That's what love makes you do. It makes you rely on others more than yourself.
♠ ♠ ♠
four chapters to go.
comment.befriend.subscribe.promote.
<3 justrealizelife
Title Song: Birthday by Beatles