Blue Sky and Other Things That Are Good For You

“The one thing I wish I’d forget, the memory I want to forget, is goodbye…”

I dropped my parents off at some club and went home. I decided I would do some of my homework and so, with the news on, I sat down and worked on some math.

Then the 'breaking news' popped up and my ears focused to it.

“a couple was seen in a red Honda speeding through downtown, hitting multiple mailboxes, trees, and other miscellaneous items. If anyone has information about the car, please call the number at the bottom of the screen.

I close up my book, turn off the T.V., and grab everything I had packed.

This was my cue to get the hell out of here. It was the end. I couldn't go anywhere but away from here. I had to start over where no one could find me. Where they couldn't find me. When they caught my parents, I would be in the hands of the government, and that's not where I wanted to be.

I flick off all the lights in the apartment and lock the door, silently walking down the stairs to the car. I made sure that I had everything with me and pulled out the piece of paper I kept in my wallet. It was my grandparents address, something that would only be used in emergencies, like this one.

Before going there though, I had to drop the things off at Ryans house. I had written two letters to him and tucked them in with the picture. I had told him as much as I could tell him face-to-face without letting the truth out. Not that these letters had the truth, but they had the answers he would be looking for.

All I knew was that if I saw him again I wouldn't be able to do this. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Love makes you rely on others. He would easily convince me to stay no matter how much I knew I couldn't.

I park on the street and walk up the lighted driveway. Everything seemed so dark and quiet here by myself. I set the package in front of the door and stand there for a moment, taking everything in. A tear slips down my cheek, splashing against the paper and leaving a mark.

“goodbye.” I whisper and then make my way back to my car, not looking back.

~~~


It took me until seven to find my grandparents house. It was hidden, almost off the grid. They had moved multiple times in my childhood, but I always made sure I knew where to. Just in case days like today would come up.

They had made it clear they wanted nothing to do with my mother or me when my mom was pregnant. But I'm pretty sure that if a crying teenage girl shows up on their front steps, they're not going to turn her away. Especially not when I know things that could ruin them.

Their house wasn't a lot different from Ryan's. It was a bit smaller, though that only made sense because it was just the two of them. The house though wasn't a normal house by all means. It was quite large and fancy.

I grab my bag from the back seat and walk up to the front door, ringing the doorbell. I didn't really care if anyone was up or not, though it was 7 and I assumed that at least the cook would be up making breakfast. Living with Ryan for so long allowed me to get used to maids and butlers and the whole deal, so I had an idea of when everything happened.

A maid in her fifties or so answered the door. She took one look at me and mumbled my mothers name, Diana. It was true that I looked a lot like my mom when she was my age, but since no one knew my mom at that time, I hadn't really heard that from anyone. And I especially hadn't been called her before. “what can I do for you miss?” the lady asks politely.

I take a deep breath, smelling roses from the entryway. Now that I was here I was speechless. What was I supposed to say? Tell the truth or lie? I'd never met these people before and the nerves from that started to hit me.

What the hell was I thinking coming here?

“miss?” the woman repeats.

I focus my eyes back onto her. She was short, probably about 5'1”. her hair was long and black, though she had it up in a bun. Her uniform included black slacks and a white blouse with an apron. She looked like she could be Latina, but I wasn't sure. Her English was good if she was, which means she grew up here.

“Maria, who's at the door?” I hear another woman ask, showing up into the picture. She was white and had on a dress I swear I saw Ryans grandma wearing at Thanksgiving. Her hair was still dark, like mine, but short and curly.

Her eyes locked with mine and I knew she recognized me. But just like myself, she was speechless. Yet another woman came into the picture, one that I for once knew. “mom, what's going on here?” I knew the voice from Christmas and when she appeared I came face to face with Mary.

Her eyes widened and her mouth dropped when she saw me standing there with my bag at my side.

Finally, I found my voice. “sorry,” I whisper, “this was a mistake.” I turn to go but Mary caught my arm.

“wait, Sky,” I smiled at the fact she didn't call me Blue. “what's wrong?” she asks.

Maria had stepped aside by now and I was dragged inside the nice house. The halls were an off-white, cream color. Everything was clean and it was obvious there were very few kids ever allowed inside here.

I inhale the fresh sent of the roses and then speak, saying the words I swore would never leave my mouth. “I need your help.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Song: Goodbye by Miley Cyrus
thanks for reading and commenting.
comment.befriend.subscribe.promote.
please.
<3 justrealizelife