Status: Progressing

The Twins

The Problem

On Friday Caroline was waiting. She was supposed to pick Michael up at the DC airport. She should have left ten minutes ago, but had two six-year-olds to get ready.

"Kati, Kaci, I am leaving now. With or without you."

Both girls came running. Caroline smiled. Both went running out the door and jumped into the car. They buckled themselves in and Caroline got in. She started the car and took off to the DC airport. Lucky for her Michael's plane was late.

"Daddy!" Kati and Kaci screamed, running.

Michael dropped his luggage and grabbed the girls.

"How are my princesses?"

They responded with a hug, then ran back to their mother. Michael picked up his luggage and kissed Caroline.

"I"m gonna stay with Richard until Monday. Okay?"

He nodded. He never questioned Caroline because she never gave him a reason to, and vise versa. They trust each other one hundred percent. Well, most of the time. Caroline picked up Kaci and Michael grabbed Kati's hand. As they left the airport Caroline played with ring on her finger.

Now how do I tell him?

Caroline knocked on the door even though she knew Katelyn was home.

"Come in!" she heard Katelyn shout.

She must've known it was us.

Caroline pushed open the door and set down Kaci. Both girls went running in and Michael and Caroline walked in.

"Hi. I'm Katelyn."
"Michael."

They shook hands.

"Katelyn," Caroline said, "I'll be staying here until Monday. Is that alright?"
"Of course. Although you may wanna ask you brother."

Caroline laughed.

"What he thinks doesn't matter," she replied jokingly.
"Putting that aside. I have exciting news. I wanted to wait until Richard got home, but I don't think I can. I'm pregnant!"
"Kate, that's great."

Caroline and Kate hugged. Katelyn and Richard had been trying for five years to have a baby. Finally they get to have one. It was quiet for a moment. Then there was a blood curdling cry of a little girl. Caroline and Kate took off towards the back room. Kati looked terrified and Kaci was on the floor screaming. Caroline raced towards her little girl. Katelyn got distracted just long enough to realize that Michael hadn't came running. It worried her.

What kind of father doesn't go running to their screaming little girl? she thought.

Caroline grabbed Kaci and wrapped her into her lap. Caroline whispered what Kate figured were calming and comforting words because Kaci calmed down a bit. Kate ushered Kati out of the room and into the kitchen by her father. Shortly after Caroline walked in with Kaci softly crying into her shoulder.

"She asked for Aunt Kate," Caroline said and handed Kaci over to Katelyn.

Kate walked around the living room. Michael, Caroline, and Kati remained in the kitchen.

"What the hell happened?" Michael asked.
"Watch your language around the girls," Caroline demanded in a sharp whisper.
"What the hell happened?" he asked, completely ignoring her.

Caroline blinked a few times to hold back the tears. She picked up Kati, who kicked a few times because she was not used to her mother picking her up. Caroline placed Kati in the backroom with Katelyn and Kaci, then walked back to the kitchen.

"Watch your language when they're around," Caroline demanded.
"Tell me what the hell happened."
"Kaci was jumping on one of the blow ups and fell off. That's all. It happens all the time."

She turned so her back faced him. She blinked back her tears.

Not here. Not now. Not with the girls here. Not with Katelyn here.

"Michael, I need to talk to you outside."

She walked out the screen door and Michael followed.

"What is it?" Michael asked.
"If you're so concerned about your girls why didn't see what was wrong with Kaci? Why do you play these games? Michael, I'm not having any fun playing them either! Please. Please just stop these twisted, confusing games."
"Me? I'm playing games? You're the one who drove from New York to Quantico to see your brother and made me come out too. You're the one who won't get married. I'm not playing any games, Caroline. You are."

Tears were streaming down Caroline's face. She ran to her car and drove. No one knew where she was going. Not even Caroline knew. She was just driving and driving and driving. She stopped when she reached the northern Virgina border. She wasn't sure where she was but she checked into a motel and broke down crying once again.

Meanwhile...