Status: Complete!!

My Undead Life With Damon Salvatore

Chapter 13

I walked into my house after a long day of school and saw Damon lounging on the couch in my living room. He hadn't been able to pick me up in the morning because he had 'something to do'. It had been a week since the vervain incident.
"Hey. What are you doing here?" I asked him, setting my purple bag down by the coat closet. He stared at me while I went and sat in one of the chairs and threw my legs over the edge of the arm rest.
"I came to see you. Is there something wrong with that?" I sighed. He was drunk, he was always the most defensive and slightly angry when he was.
"Damon. Really? It's barely three, you can't be drunk already." I shook my head. I had had this conversation with him countless times. Yes, he could live forever and that was great, drinking wouldn't hurt him. If I could live forever, I wouldn't spend my time getting drunk, only for a little while, because of the blood thing. That part I didn't really get, but I knew he couldn't stay inebriated for very long.
"Kaylee, you're being pushy again." I rolled my eyes, again. "I love you. I'm sorry. I need help." I wondered if a regular AA meeting would work… the alcohol was starting to wear off.
I got up from my chair and went to sit by him. On occasion he would get really depressed for one reason or another. I did the same thing, but I didn't drink. I grabbed his hand and entwined our fingers together. I laid a soft kiss on his cheek letting him know everything was alright. "It's okay. Let's go lay down." I had the house to myself for a week while my mom was off at a work convention in Utah.
I led him to my room, I took my coat off and draped it over my chair and looked at him. He was more tense than sad. He lay across my rose comforter and pulled me down on top of him. “Drunk you is pushy.” I sighed and put my head on his chest.
“Sorry.” He mumbled sadly. There was something strange going on with him, and it obviously wasn’t good. “I didn’t want to do this. Kaylee, we need to talk.” I wrinkled my nose, I hated when he started conversations with the ‘we need to talk’; it was always so serious and depressing.
I nodded my head to urge him on. “I think we should be away from each other for a while, at least until we find out who this person is. If they figure out that I’m attached to you, then you’ll be in trouble to.” I rolled off of him and looked angrily at him. “You know it’s for the best. Do you remember last time you were involved?” he pretended to think. “Oh that’s right, you were almost killed!” he sat up and looked at me, I rush of anger flew through me. “I don’t want that to happen again, Kaylee, this is how it has to be.” He looked at me for a second, and left the house.
Oh, yay. It would be last year all over again. Great, just fabulous. I stared up at my ceiling, blinking away the tears, trying so hard to prevent from completely breaking down. 'Maybe it would be better if we just stayed away from each other' said a little voice in my head. For a moment, I considered it. Life would probably be a lot easier, but it would be boring. He is my first love, I didn't know if I could let that go so quickly. I had dated before, but no one else made me feel the way I did when I was with him, and no one could.
I grabbed my iPod and blasted my music as loud as I could. I rolled over and stared at the light purple wall and stared at the strange designs on it. I felt my eyes start to droop shut. I felt a tear run down my face; I was hurting myself trying not to erupt in a large amount of sobs. I could feel my body shaking.
I shook my head. ‘No no no. He is not going to do this to me again!’ I screamed to myself. I wouldn’t let him be stupid and try to leave just because he thinks he’s protecting me. I’m not a helpless little girl; I am capable of taking care of myself. So what if this guy wants to expose Damon? That doesn’t mean he wants to kill him. He probably did… but that wasn’t the point I was trying to convince myself of. I didn’t want to be the girlfriend that just stood and watched her boyfriend try and fix things… when it would probably go wrong.
I shook myself out of my inner monologue and flung legs over my bed. I grabbed my phone and dialed Mackenzie’s number. “Hi.” I whispered. “It’s Kaylee, I have a question.”
“What is it, and why are we whispering?” she asked in a whisper as well. I wasn’t too sure if Damon could hear me or not from his house, so I thought I should keep it on the safe side and be as quiet as possible.
“My mom’s asleep.” I lied. It worked. “Damon just informed me that we should be on a break. I don’t think that’s a good idea. What do I do?” it was like a dear Abby thing. I summed it up pretty quickly, sparing the dirty details that she didn’t need to know about.
“I say you march over to him, and tell him that this is not acceptable. Tell him how you feel.” She sounded demanding and I knew that what she was saying is what I should have done all along. I just wanted to make sure it was okay before I did it. I didn’t want to be demanding or anything.
“Alright.” I stood up, and looked in the mirror. On the other end of the phone Mackenzie yelled at me ‘Go get ‘em tiger!” I hung up. I put my hair into a high ponytail and grabbed my purple jacket and tied my shoes. I looked at myself in the mirror. I was nervous; I hadn’t ever demanded something like this from him. I knew it might not be my smartest idea, and I didn’t care.
I grabbed my keys and texted Sara, she was over with Stefan and told her to distract for me. Luckily she didn’t ask why and just said that she would. I knew it would only be a matter of minutes before they realized something was up, so I ran down my narrow staircase, almost falling, and jumped in my car, and raced up the hill to his house. I jumped out of the car and jumped out onto the frozen gravel and ran to the front door. I had received a text from Sara saying that Damon was in the living room, sulking. I turned off my phone and burst into the house. The darling friend of mine grabbed her boyfriend’s hand and took off with him out the door. Damon looked up, and his eyes were fuming.
He stood up, his beautiful eyes harsh and cold. I didn’t like to look into them, but I convinced myself that it was necessary. I tried my best to slow my breathing down, and not to hyperventilate or go into an asthmatic attack. “Kaylee we discussed this-“ I put my finger up to stop what he was saying.
“No, it’s my turn to talk.” I looked at him, he didn’t look impressed, but he wasn’t as angry. “I don’t want to be separated from you. I know that you think you’re doing it for the best, but I beg to differ. I know that it sucks that someone is trying to expose you, and yes, it is a little scary. I refuse to sit back and wait though. I don’t want to be the helpless girl you so obviously think I am.” I put my hand on my hip and looked at him for a second. “I don’t know if you recall this summer, when I brought in those guys to help kick ass, I know that I didn’t do anything physically, but I brought help. And dammit, that counts for something.” I started rambling, I took a breath and brought myself back to my original complaint. “I don’t want to spend forced time away. That is not how a relationship works, at least not this one. I know that I’m being demanding, but I never say anything, and it’s time that I did!” my voice had raised into a shout and I brought my level down again. “And… if you don’t like it then… tough luck. Get over it.” I relaxed my shoulders and waited for a response.
His expression was blank for a second, and I was beginning to worry that I messed everything up, until I saw a small smirk grow across his flawless face. “You’re right. I was over reacting. We don’t need to be on a break.”
I was shocked on the inside, but I tried my best not to show it to him. I wanted to keep the ‘strong woman’ persona that I had just created for myself. I smiled and kissed him, for me, it was actually like a victory kiss, I felt that I had won some kind of championship.
“What you just did was actually really hot.” I gave him a quirky look. That was definitely not the reaction I was expecting. “I think I like confident you, a lot.” He raised his eyebrows at me in the Damon way.
I shook my head and rolled my eyes. “Shut up and kiss me.”