Status: Complete!!

My Undead Life With Damon Salvatore

Chapter 14

A week passed by, and there still weren't any results from looking for the mysterious person. Everyone was getting aggravated, either they were really good at covering their tracks, or they died.
I had been staying a considerable amount of time at Damon's house, and he would randomly leave. This time, it was to go pick up something for me to eat. I was left alone in the living room, looking at the knick-knacks placed on the shelves.
I was startled when I heard Stefan walk in, and I almost dropped one of the porcelain dolls. He chuckled at me, while I carefully placed the doll back where it was.
"It's strange; I never would have thought that you guys had kept things like these." I gestured to everything that was sitting on the shelves.
"I know. Sometimes I wonder why myself. Most of them hold painful memories." He looked down at them all and looked away. "What you did last week was pretty brave. Most girls wouldn't stand up to a pissed off vampire. I think that's really great."
I smiled. "I was actually a little scared that he was going to kill me for a second." I informed him truthfully.
He shook his head and chuckled. "No, he couldn't. He adores you too much." He gave a wistful sigh. "It is really great to see him in love again. It's much better than that time he was in love with my girlfriend." I raised my eyebrow in curiosity. "When we lived in Virginia, he was in love with her. It was a repeat of the past. She even looked like Juliana to a T. But she was much kinder."
Curiosity got the best of me. "What happened to her?" I inquired.
His eyes were sad and far away, like he was lost in time. "She's still there. But to her, I was just a boy that came and left. She doesn't remember anything about us other than that." he was so upset looking, I almost wondered if it was recent. They never talked about where they moved from, that's probably why. I didn't want to know though.
Damon walked into the room, holding a bright yellow phone book. "Oh, a bonding moment." I rolled my eyes. "Times over, let's get down to business." We each sat on the couch and looked at the phone book, there were several marked pages, and Damon flipped for the first one with a highlighted address.
"We'll go here first." He shut the bright yellow book and stood up, Stefan and I followed in suit. We walked outside into the crisp air, close enough to snow. I had left my heavy winter coat at my house earlier that morning, so the air was extra cold. I practically ran to the car. I sat in the back while the two brothers were in the front. Generally Sara would have been with us, but she had a prior appointment.
I leaned back until I heard them conversing and leaned slightly forward to hear their discussion.
"So what is your plan for when we get there? What do you plan on doing?" Stefan inquired; I was having a difficult time deciphering whether or not he was being sarcastic.
"You see little brother, this person obviously wants me gone, and I don't want them around anymore with that attitude. So in my professional opinion, killing him would work. Specifically ripping his head off and burning it, but whatever method is going to work will make me happy." Damon gave his brother a fake smile and Stefan let out a heavy sigh.
I wrinkled my nose in disgust. "Remind me again why I have to come?" It was suddenly very unnecessary for me to be going with them on their little jaunt.
"Because you get to light the match." Damon shot back. His mood had altered considerably within the last two minutes.
The trip was tedious and nerve wracking. Although it was just on the other side of the valley, it seemed to take longer than it should have. I felt extremely out of place sitting there, and I wanted to be able to leap out of the car, but that would be basically impossible.
We suddenly came to a stop and Damon and Stefan got out of the car, I leaped out after them. The gravel was slipping from underneath my tennis shoe as I raced to catch up to them.
I was panting by the time I reached the brothers. They walked much faster than I did. "Thanks for waiting for me." I gasped in between each word I desperately tried to speak.
"Anytime darling. But I would have suggested you wait in the car." Damon flashed me a smile. He was in a terrible mood. Well, see I he gets a Christmas present this year. Not that I had one for him anyway… but still it was the thought that counts.
Stefan knocked three times on the oak door of the small light blue house. We stood and waited for a minute until the door opened and a young woman stood before us.
He face turned to horror. "You!" she screamed and pointed. "The spawn of the devil." her once pink face was now bright red with fear. " stay away from me!" she clutched the wall behind her.
Stefan put his hands up to show her there was nothing wrong with him. "Ma'am, we aren't going to hurt you, please calm dow-" he was interrupted by her screams again.
"I know what you are, you and your brother. I think it would be best if you stay far away from me." she shot a wicked smile, as if she was possessed. I stayed behind Damon, practically cowering away from her. "I tried to get rid of you before. We don't want your kind here! You are not welcome! Leave before others find out." she bared her teeth at the brothers and glared.
"Does anyone else know?" Damon snapped, clearly annoyed with her. Her straight face turned to a twisted smile, revealing her jagged teeth.
"Not yet. But they will if you don't leave." she walked to her door and slammed it in our faces. The brothers turned to face me.
"We need to get her out and kill her." Damon stated. I looked towards the other brother who appeared upset.
"I hate to agree with you, but you're right. She does, who knows what kind of power she has, or who she could tell." he sighed. "It's our only chance." they booth looked at me. Oh boy.

The plan was for me to go into her house, armed, and coax her into wandering outside. I wasn't too sure if it was going to work or not, I had a suspicion that she had seen me before.
I took a breath and walked around the corner to her house and knocked on the front door. I pulled my hair up in a ponytail when the cold autumn air whipped it around. She opened the door slightly and peaked out so that only her wild green eyes were showing.
I smiled sympathetically at her and started speaking. "Hi. I was just passing by, and I was wondering if you were aware that the roof of your house is in need of repair." she stared at me blankly, but opened the door all the way. She was still dressed in the same tattered flowered dress. "For your safety, I would highly suggest that you repair it soon."
She nodded and stared. "I have been thinking that for a while."
I smiled back. "If you would care to see exactly the problem with it, it's actually quite easy to fix." she nodded and stepped out into her yard with me. I took a step back, as if to look at her roof and Damon came and grabbed her as soon as he saw her. He covered her mouth to prevent her from speaking.
"Does she have a ring on her finger?" he asked quickly through bared teeth. I looked at her hands and briskly shook my head at him in reply. "Good." he mumbled. He took her neck and snapped it, and took the body away.
I was slightly sick to my stomach from the sight. I staggered to the car that was parked on the other side of the block. You know, for knowing about vampires, she wasn't all that smart. She fell for something that I had come up with only moments before I suddenly felt guilty, like I was the one that had killed her instead of my boyfriend.
Stefan stepped out of the car and helped me back into it, holding my arm for support. I sat down and took a breath. "Are you okay?" he asked, with a concerned look on his face.
I nodded. "I just needed to sit down. I'll be fine. Thanks." I closed my eyes and kept staring at a certain spot on the ceiling.
The car door opened and closed and Damon was now in the front seat of the car, driving away from the scene of the crime.
In the following weeks, there were tabloids in the newspapers all over the state. There was talks of the murderer, they had suspects, but all of them had a valid alibi. They never found a body.
I wondered if he ever felt guilt for what he had done. If at any point in time he would just feel consumed with guilt. But then I remembered his oh so convenient ability to be able to turn off his feelings, and his humanity.
"It's Christmas in two days." Damon mention while we were lounging on the couch watching television at his house.
I nodded. "Mhmm" I hadn't been the most caring girlfriend in the world for a week. "I was wondering... do you ever feel bad?" talking about it would be better than having a screaming match.
"If I did, I probably would have attempted to kill myself a long time ago." he took a breath. "I'm assuming that it bothers you." I shrugged in reply. "I know that it's not good to kill people if that's what you're telling me, but I didn't see any other way."
I sighed and leaned into him. "I'm just over reacting" I wasn't. But I didn't want to argue with him, not at the moment anyway.
"So, what'd you get me for Christmas?" he probed. I laughed at him and rolled my eyes.
"There is no way I'm telling you." it took me forever to even figure out what to get him. I almost just got him a puppy and said 'have fun'. I'm pretty sure he doesn’t like puppies though. I looked over to him. He looked at me. "And there is no way I'm telling you where's it is either." I giggled at his frustration. I put my hand on his lap and stood up. "I should probably go. My grandparents are probably going to be here any minute."
"Screw them. I say you should stay." he pulled me back down across his lap. I laid there for a second and let him hold me.
"I have to. You come with me if you want to." I smiled and suggested to him. He helped me up again and I walked to the door.
"As much as I love you, I'm going to have to pass." he held my hand while we stood in front of he door.
"You're still coming over Christmas day, right?" I was hoping so. It was always over emotional at my house. I needed an escape route.
"Of course." he kissed me and I left.
"Hey." my mom said when I came into the living room. "Your grandparents are here, go say hi." I put my coat in the closet and walked to see them. They were putting away their clothes in the spare closet in their room.
"Hey Grams." I hugged her and my grandfather. "I missed you." They looked at me with accusing eyes.
"You smell like a boy." my grandmother informed me. How in the world could she smell that?
"Oh. Well I was at Damon's." I confessed. It was better to come clean now than have her try and figure it out. That would turn out in an eruption of words harshly spoken.
"Oh? And what were you doing there?" My grandmother asked.
I knew what she was getting at. I have her strange look and replied. "We were watching television."
She narrowed her eyes at me, and my grandfather, who was probably feeling uncomfortable, left. "Really?"
"Yeah." my voice was bratty and rude, I would get yelled at later. It was worth it though. "We don't do those sorts of things." I mumbled as an afterthought.
"Sure." she rolled her eyes. I promptly left the room.
We ate dinner, and the next day spent Christmas Eve together. While we were sitting on the couch in the living room, my grandmother turned to me and smiled.
"You should invite Damon over." her sweet old lady smile turned evil. She was planning on embarrassing me and I was not going to let that happen. I briskly shook my head and swallowed my hot chocolate. "Come on Kaylee, it won't be that bad."
"He's spending it with Stefan. Their having a family evening together." I prayed that would save me. Her face brightened.
"Then invite both of them. I want to meet his brother." I hated it when she would try and find solutions to the things I said.
"That wouldn't really be appropriate." the looks from my family members implied the they didn't care. I stood up from the cream colored couch and grabbed the phone. "On the other hand, maybe that is a good idea."
I dialed the familiar number and waited for an answer. "Why are you calling?" Damon answered. He sounded more curious than mad.
"Umm… what are you and Stefan doing?" I grabbed the back of my neck, I hadn't been nervous talking to him in a long time.
"Drinking blood." there was a momentary pause. "Why?" he asked skeptically.
"Do you think you could stop, and… come over?" I heard a glass drop onto what I was assuming a counter, and laughter in the background.
"They want to meet Stefan, don't they?" he sighed. I didn't even reply. "Your family is insane. I hope you know that."
"I do." I smiled to myself. "Trust me, I do."
"We'll be there in ten. You owe us." I could hear the smirk in his voice.
"Love you." I hung up. I turned back to the family. "They'll be here in ten minutes." I saw them nod and smile. "I'm going to change." I walked into my room and threw out all of my nice clothes. I stripped off the sweat pants and ripped t-shirt and put on a black skirt and purple satin shirt. I brushed my hair through and shoved a flower clip in it.
I put on my black ballet flats and ran to answer the door, which was being knocked on. I threw it open and smiled a the brothers, both looking dapper.
"Thank you so much. I'm sorry to interrupt your evening. I feel terrible." they stepped into my home and Damon grabbed my hand and put it in the crook of his arm.
"It was no problem." Stefan said. Sara was probably going to laugh about this when he told her. I hoped she did at least.
I was lead up the narrow staircase by Damon. Stefan followed shortly behind. We walked into the living room and they all stared at us.
"Hi. This is Stefan. Stefan, this is my family." he shook hands with everyone. It was awkward as hell and I wanted to crawl in a hole and die.
We spent the rest of the evening playing board games, all of which I failed epically. The awkwardness slowly wore off, and while I shut the door behind the brothers after they left, I could already hear my mother and grandmother discussing the evening.
I walked in and they started in on me. “Kaylee, you should date Stefan, he’s the safer brother. Damon is kind of dangerous, don’t you think?” this was my grandmother, and my mother. I rolled my eyes and sat down in the flowered chair and watched them tell me that I had the wrong boyfriend.
“Kaylee, you know we’re right, you should dump Damon and date Stefan.” My grandmother insisted. She looked serious, and I wanted to walk up to her and slap her.
“Look, I’m sorry that Damon’s not good enough for you. But I love him, and I wouldn’t leave him for anything in the world. Let’s not even bring up the fact that Stefan is dating my best friend!” I was yelling at them. They started to yell back at me for being rude. I looked over at my grandpa who was play with the miniature train under the tree. I wished I was on that train; it could take me far away from here.
He turned around to face them. “You two need to stop. She loves him. He doesn’t do drugs, or get into fights or anything bad. Let her be with him, he’s good for her. We should be happy for Kaylee, rather than criticize her.” the two women shut up. “And if I recall correctly, last year it was you two who were insisting that she date him. Now stop being hypocrites and be happy for her.” I smiled at my grandfather and mouthed the words ‘thank you’ and left to go to bed.
Damon came over in the morning around eight, and brought gifts for everyone in the family. He was such a suck up! We were all sitting on the floor, gathered around the tree, eating cinnamon rolls. “This one is for you, Ms. Halbrook.” He handed her a box, it was filled with her favorite kinds of chocolate. She smiled and thanked him. He gave my grandmother a scarf set, and my grandfather a new tool kit. I told him what to get them, but I didn’t think he really would do anything.
“And here is your present.” He smiled and handed me a box, wrapped in red and gold paper, with a bow on it. I smiled at him.
“You know, you didn’t have to do anything.” I kissed him on the cheek. “But I don’t mind at all.” I unwrapped the present and it revealed a leather jacket of my own. I had always wanted one, but never expected to get one. “What are you thinking? You’re insane!” I kissed him on the lips for a second.
He smiled at me, quite proud of himself. “I take it you like it?” I hugged him.
“I love it!” I grabbed his present from underneath the Christmas tree and handed it to him. “Here’s yours. I’ve always wanted to give you some kind of present like this.”
He took it and unwrapped the small box, and took out the Ralph Lauren cologne. I spent hours with Sara at the mall trying to figure out which one to get him. “Kaylee, you didn’t have to get me anything, but I love it! This one is my favorite.” He kissed me quickly on the cheek. “I love it.”
We spent the rest of the morning talking and listening to Christmas music. It was one of the best Christmases yet. Unfortunately, the week after, we had to go back to reality. But I had a leather jacket to face it with.