Status: Complete!!

My Undead Life With Damon Salvatore

Chapter 17

After celebrating with one last glass, I got dressed in jeans and a tee; one of the random articles of clothing that I left there.
I met Damon on the outside of the bathroom door. I crashed into him, something that I didn't often do unless he let it happen. I was caught off guard and almost fell to the ground. Damon grabbed onto me as I stumbled backwards.
I put my hand across my head dramatically and said "Oh my savior." in an equally dramatic voice.
"It was my pleasure." he replied with a seductive tone. We were on our way to tell my mother. He had told me that he asked her in April to ask me. I'm not too sure why he didn't ask me then...
He took my hand and we went out to his car and we went down to my house. I was nervous as Hell about what she was going to do or say. Hopefully she wouldn't get to upset, it's not like she didn't know it was a possibility.
I took a deep breath when we got out of the car. I grabbed my dress from the back and we walked into the house. I had never been so nervous in my life. It was unfair how cool and calm he looked. I wished I could be like him.
"Hey guys!" my mom called cheerfully down the hall. She came to us; Damon and I sat on the couch and waited for my mom to come in. She sat in the chair on the side from us, watching.
"So, mom. We have something to tell you." I started out. I smiled, hiding my nerves. "Damon and I are getting married." I beamed, shrugging my shoulders, making it the most casual thing in the world.
"Well, kid, I'm happy for you. But, I hope you know just how much responsibility this is. You have to handle this, and school. You'll have a home and a husband to take care of." she started out. She was acting much cooler than I expected. Then again, she did have a little over a month to prepare herself for it. "Damon is going to be your husband." she turned to him. "And Kaylee is going to be your wife." we both nodded. "You two will have to take care of each other. Just think about that." I was glad that she didn't mention his family, Damon and Stefan had everyone convinced that their parents died the year before.
"We have mom. It's one of the best decisions I have made in a while." I grinned at them. It was true, what I had said. In my midst of daydreaming every once in a while I would think about it. It always seemed to involve us in a 1950's movie mantra.
"Damon, are you prepared for this?" my mother asked him. I mentally slapped her. What a silly question to ask.
"Of course. I wouldn't have asked if I didn't think that I was; or that Kaylee was." I kissed his cheek sweetly and I felt his arm wrap around my waist.
"Well, it's pretty clear that you two love each other." my mother smiled over at us. "You know, I was surprised you didn't ask her earlier Damon. You came to me a while ago." she informed him.
"I had planned on it. That's when Stefan asked Sara after that. I didn't want to steal that away from them." My mother nodded her head, and went into the kitchen.
"How long have they been engaged?" I asked him. Not that it was any of my business.
"Early April. He wanted to beat me to it." Damon shrugged it off.
"It's always a competition between you to, isn't It." it wasn't a question, more a statement.
"Always. I think I won this time though." I rolled my eyes. We both knew just how cheesy that sounded. "I knew you would act like that.”
"Just think, the rest of our lives with you saying sweetly lame things like that." I sighed dramatically.
"I know. I have to go though." he kissed my head. I lead him down stairs and to the door.
"That went better than I expected it to." I said, while we were standing on the porch.
He nodded. "I love you."
"I love you to. Call me later.” I called after him. He drove away and I went upstairs to see my mom again.
"He came to see you before?" I asked. I knew that, but I wanted to know what he said, and I knew that he wouldn't tell me.
"Yeah, it was very sweet." she called from her room. I went and sat down on her bed.
"Well, what did he say?" I anxiously questioned.
"First of all, I was not expecting him to come and see me at all. He said he wanted to talk to me, privately. You were off at Jessica's house. He came into the living room and said, 'this is something I never thought I would be asking anyone.' and then he laughed a little and then said 'may I marry your daughter? I would understand if you said no. She's only 17 and not out of high school. I wouldn't let us get married until after though. I am in love with her.' the look on his face was so sweet that I couldn't say no. And I knew that he meant what he said. So I told him of course. He thanked me then went on his way. So how did he propose?" I explained to her how it went, leaving out the parts of alcohol being involved. "That's really sweet." she smiled and hugged me. "I'm happy for you." For anyone else, their mother would be pretty angry that her daughter was staying over at her boyfriend’s house. Damon had compelled her a while back to make her think it was okay. Smartest idea ever, in my opinion.
"Thanks mom. I was worried." she patted me on the back, before she said anything my phone rang. I answered it, not even getting to greet them, they started talking.
"Kaylee, will you come over? We have to talk." it was Sara.
I groaned. "Yeah, sure. I'll be there soon."
"Cool, I'm at Stefan's." I hung up.
"I have to go, that was Sara. She wants me to meet her at Stefan's. Sorry mom." I was feeling bad because I hadn't actually gotten to spend time with her in a while. "I promise I'll make it up to you."
"I'll hold you to it." I grabbed my keys and sunglasses and headed out the door.
The drive was short, considering it wasn't too far away. I pulled into the driveway at 11:09 A.M. Sara's car was already there, and she was on the porch waiting.
"What is it?" I asked. I was fairly irritated. Not that she knew why, but I didn't want to be around her, we spent plenty of time together lately.
"They aren't here." she worriedly said.
"What do you mean?" I was confused.
"They aren't in the house. I've already checked. I can't find them." she looked like she was going to cry.
I suddenly felt bad for being mad before. "It's alright. We'll find them. Did you try using your Powers to scan the area?" I knew that when they couldn't find someone, they could send out a signal to search for them. That would probably make hide-and-seek hard to play.
"Yes." she sobbed. Oh gosh. An emotional teenage vampire, just what I'd always wanted.
"Look, they are probably off somewhere. It'll be fine." I pulled away from her to calm her down. "Damon said he had to go somewhere. He'll call me later, it's all right. Everything is going to be okay." it was slightly ridiculous that she was freaking out about this. "What did Stefan say to you?"
"He said to come over at eleven. I've been here since then. I don't know what to do." I sighed. What was I going to do with her?
"Er… let’s go back to my house then." I pulled her arm to her car. She got into her car and we both went down to my home.
"Come on. We can talk or whatever." I lead her to my room. We sat down on my bed awkwardly for a minute. I turned my iPod on, and we sat there still and awkward, but at least it wasn't quiet.
I nearly screamed when my phone rang from my pocket. "Where are you?" I asked sternly.
"I'm at home. Where are you?" Oh come on. Now was not the time to be a smart ass. Although I didn't mind it so much anymore.
"I'm at home with Sara. She was supposed to meet Stefan there at eleven and was freaking out when he wasn't there." I took a deep breath. I hadn't realized just how stressed I was.
"He's here. Slightly disorientated, but here." he laughed a little.
"I'm coming over." I hung up. "Sara, I'll be back, stay here." before she could move I ran out of the house. I knew that she was faster than I was, with the vampire blinding speed, but I hoped that she wouldn't follow; she didn't.
Damon was outside of my house, standing with his arms crossed. "Where do you think you're going?" his eyes were taunting and vicious.
"I was just taking a stroll." I said, staggering to the left purposefully and giggled.
"Anywhere in particular?" he raised his eyebrow at me, and took a step forward.
"You know, around." I waved my hand around in the air, then grabbed onto the back of my neck.
"Kaylee." he said sternly, giving me the 'Damon look' as I would like to call it.
"Damon." I said back, imitating his voice and 'the look'. I failed at it, but gave a smirk at the end. I was acting ridiculous, and I knew it. Why? I wasn't too sure. I dropped the act when his look was so mean, it was practically evil. I sighed. "Alright, I was coming to see you." I confessed. Not that it was hard to figure out.
"I gathered that." he stepped closer to me, so close that I could feel his breath on me.
"Well, I'm not too hard to figure out." I smiled a sickly sweet smile.
"I beg to differ." he smirked at me. Damn him and his beautifulness, and the fact that I loved him. All that rolled up into one and I was in trouble, like I was then.
"So, what brings you here, darling?" I whispered seductively, or as much as I could get. I hadn't tried in a while. It was good to practice though. I laid my hand on his chest while I spoke.
"You." he did that eye thing to me. He was too good.
"Hm." was all I said, looking down at the walkway concrete.
The tension was broken when the screen door slammed against the frame. Sara was standing in front of Damon and me, looking fierce.
"Sara. Calm down." Damon told her, his voice as angry as she looked.
"Why did I just get a call from Stefan- who sounded extremely drunk?!" she screamed to us, mainly Damon.
I took a step back, not wanting to get in the way of them.
"That's why I came here. I don't know what’s going on with him. Go up and see him, but he's gone off the deep end, just warning you." she budged past him, got into her car and sped across the street and up the hill to the maniac Stefan.
"So that's why you wouldn't let me go. I never knew you could be so sweet." So he was protecting me. I would have been fine though; I thought secretly.
"Don't tell anyone." He put his finger to my lips.
"It'll be our little secret." I moved his hand. "It's scandals, really." I playfully joked.
"That's my favorite kind." we stood for a second, just looking at each other. I didn't really know what to say-he probably did though. Just that fact made me feel awkward.
"Well. Now what?" I asked after our seemingly endless moment.
"I should go deal with them. Stefan can be insane when he's off of animal blood." he said. I didn't get to say anything before he left. Damn him, he knew I would protest and try and go with him.