Status: Complete!!

My Undead Life With Damon Salvatore

Chapter 18

I did what I told him what I was going to do. I took a stroll.
I walked down the dirt road from my house, following the creek that went behind it. I walked to the small park that was located in the middle of town. I sat down at one of the wooden benches that were located in the middle of the green space. I didn't have anything to do, so I called Mackenzie. It rang a few times before she finally answered.
"Hey." she answered politely.
"Hi. I have something to tell you." I sighed and decided not to try and go around it. "I'm engaged."
"Oh wow. That's not what I was expecting. I'm going to go ahead and assume that it's to Damon." I felt bad. Springing it on her, but I needed to tell someone.
I laughed at her reaction awkwardly. "Yeah, it is."
She gasped. "How'd he do it?" I explained for the second time that day. "Oh, that is so romantic! I knew that you two were perfect for each other. When did it happen?"
"About three hours ago." I glanced at the time on my phone. It was only noon, barely.
"So, have you told anyone else?" she asked excitedly.
I was suddenly very irritated. "Nope. Just you and my mom."
"Cool. I have to go, I'll call you later." and she hung up.
I laid my head on the table and accidentally fell asleep. I didn't even feel tired. When I finally woke up, it was dark out. I looked at my phone again for the time, it was 9:30. I couldn't believe that nobody had bothered to call to see it I was alright. Just as I thought that, my phone buzzed with a text message from Mickayla.
I read it 'Hey. R u seriously engaged?!?'
I replied, 'Er… yea.'
I didn't bother to wait for her to reply, and I didn't feel like dealing with it them. I stood up from the table and walked down the dark alley to my house. Halfway home I was grabbed from behind. They had a tight grip on me; their arms were wrapped around my waist, making unable to move.
I tried screaming, but a hand clamped over my mouth when I tried. I bit down hard, and their hand didn't move. I tried to turn to look at them, I didn't have to move, they were in front of me, gripping my hand hard.
"Stefan, let me go." I tried not to sound scared, or to cry. "You don't want to do this." my breath was fast and heavy.
His face turned to a sickly sweet smile. "I think I do." he bared his teeth, his eyes were dark, and he bit into my neck. He held onto my arms tightly, and I was unable to move. I screamed out as loud as I could. I felt myself drift in and out of consciousness. Black dots blurred my vision and if it weren't for his hands holding me up, I would have fallen to the ground. Just as I thought I was gone, I felt Stefan being ripped off of me. I fell to the ground, and I could feel every bit of rock underneath me. I felt hands grip me, and a wrist shoved into my mouth.
"Drink." said the voice. I knew it… that voice was as familiar as mine. I did what it told me, and I drank. The blood was something that I didn't want to think about. I felt myself slowly feeling better, but I was still tired.
I opened my eyes and saw Damon. "I knew your voice sounded familiar." I whispered.
"Shh. I'm taking you home now." I nodded as much as I could. I wasn't awake when I was taken home.
The sun shined into the window by my bed, illuminating everything. I felt a bandage around my neck, the pain when I realized it made my head spin. Damon knew that I wasn't one for the whole 'fast healing' thing, unless it was really imperative.
A small moan of pain escaped me; I felt a cool hand on my forehead. My eyes had drifted shut momentarily. I opened them again to see Damon watching me. I managed to smile at him, but I only got a worried look in return. I shifted slightly around to feel more comfortable, and he was carefully watching me.
"I'm fine." I tried to assure him, but he didn't look like he believed me. "Thank you." I managed.
He nodded. "He's locked up in the basement. No blood or anything. He feels bad though." I was informed. I didn't want him to feel bad, it wasn't his fault.
"Can we see him?" I asked.
"Seriously? He just tried to kill you." I was being scolded, yes I was serious.
I nodded in reply. "You'll be there this time." he sighed at my insistence.
"Fine." he told me. I swung my feet out of bed, and noticed that I was in different clothes. Smiling at him, he steadied me from falling. I made him turn around so I could get dressed, and we left. Damon had his hand on my shoulder and hand every step we took to his car. At his house he led me to his basement. I smelt a rosy smell, and saw the vervain plant against the wall in part of the room. There was a cell type place in it, and in side of it, was Stefan. Standing proudly.
He walked to the door to us. "I'm so sorry Aera. I didn't-" I cut him off
"It's alright. I wanted to come and tell you that I forgive you." Stefan smiled weakly at me.
"Thank you." I turned to go upstairs again with Damon. I felt his hand on the small of my back, holding me up.
I sat down in the living room on the couch, and Damon came and stood next to me. He handed my phone to me. I gave him a strange look.
"It fell out of your pocket last night." he told me.
"Thanks. Did I get any calls?" I asked.
"Sara. A lot from her." just what I thought. "She wouldn't say what she wanted though." it was 10:30. She would be up.
I dialed the number it rang once and she answered. "Are you alright?" she sounded like she was panicking.
"Yeah. I'm fine." I saw Damon walk out of the room.
"Okay I was just checking." the relief in her voice was quite obvious.
"Thanks. I'll call you later." and I hung up. I checked my messages, several from her, Mickayla, and Mackenzie. I turned the phone off and put it into my pocket.
A few weeks passed by, Stefan was back to normal, and so was everything else. Damon and I were sitting on the couch, watching some random thing on television when I turned to look at him.
I randomly started talking. "We should get married."
"Well, that was the plan." He said looking at me strangely.
"No, I mean we should go to the court house and get the license and just do it." I surprised myself at the impulsive action.
"Let's go." the court house wasn't far away and we arrived quickly. We had to do some compelling in order not to have a waiting period got the paper, convinced them no blood test was needed. We did plenty of compelling actually, we did both have our driver’s licenses though, and so we didn’t cheat on that. It was signed and I was officially Mrs. Aera Joan Salvatore. I kissed Damon on the grand steps outside of the courthouse.
"This was fun." I wrapped my arms around his neck.
"I agree." he took me back to his house.
"Oh my gosh. I haven't told my grandparents that I was even engaged!" I felt so bad. I had never felt so upset about it.
"Call them." he told me, wrapping his arm around me.
"Alright." I did. After I told them I had never heard someone so excited before. It was strange; they were all okay with me being engaged at 18. Although a high schools graduate, so that probably added to it. That or they thought that I was never going to go through with it. Well wouldn't this be a shock.
"So that's over." I hung up the phone. Damon was sitting down and I laid my head on his lap.
After a month or so of us finally telling everyone we knew, mainly it was me though. Damon didn’t want to tell anyone he knew. We were sitting on the couch after a conversation with my friend who I had just told.
"Anyone else you would like to tell?" he asked. I thought for a second. I would tell Sara later, if she hadn't already noticed that I had a giant diamond wrong on my hand.
"Nope." I said, popping the 'p' at the end.
"Don't you have a dad?" he probed. No. We were not going there. No no no.
"Yes." I frankly said.
"If you don't tell him, I'll make you." he said.
"How would do that? I still have vervain around my neck." I told him in a bratty tone.
"I could take it off of you." he grabbed it, but didn't pull. "Without it, I could make you do anything." I raised my eyebrow at him tauntingly. "I've done it before."
"Oh really?" this brought my interest.
"First time we met. How do you think I knew so much about you?" he laughed. The look on my face must have been priceless.
I hit him on the arm playfully. "You jerk. Fine. I'll call later." I sighed in defeat.
"No, we can take a road trip. It's only an hour away." he saw the death glare I was giving him. "You didn't even invite him to your graduation Aera." was he actually being compassionate?
"Gah! Fine fine. I'll do it. Later." I crossed my arms across my chest.
"Tomorrow." he told me.
"I hate you." I said.
"So I've been told." he bent down and kissed my forehead. I fell asleep on his lap, but woke up in his bed. Not too bad.
"Rise and shine kiddo. You have a big day today." he said, pulling the covers off of me. I was in my underthings which I knew that he had a hand in undressing me from the night before. I was slightly chilled.
I sighed heavily. I felt him grab on to my waist and flip me over to face him. I reached up and kissed his cheek quickly before sliding out from underneath him.
I insisted that we go down to my house so I could find something nice to wear. I put on a red satin shirt that showed off my small waist, and black skinny jeans. I shoved a black headband in and we left. I told my mom where we were going and before she could say something, I left.
I was fidgeting in my seat the whole drive. I kept getting sideways glances from Damon and reassuring comments.
I gave him the directions reluctantly when we made it into the town. We stepped out of the car with people on the sidewalk staring. I stood against the car, shaking. Everything in me was.
We walked onto the porch, Damon practically dragging me. I tried escaping, but he blocked me with his strong arms. He held onto my shoulders while I knocked on the door.
A young teenage girl opened it. "Who are you?" she said popping her gum at us. I could see her eyes roaming over Damon and I.
"Hi. I'm Aera. Is Patrick here?" I asked her. I wanted to wipe the look off of her face. Her dark makeup was over kill, and her fake blonde hair was curled around her neck.
"Yeah. One sec." she shut the door in my face. I looked up at my husband. Strange thing to think. He smiled at me and placed a kiss on my head. The girl came back a minute later.
"Come in." she stepped back. I took in what she was wearing. Skinny jeans, and a black and pink tube top. "So who are you two?" she asked.
"I'm Patrick’s daughter. And this is Damon." I turned around and he was standing looking at me.
"So you're the other kid. I'm Ella. I'm Jens kid." she shook my hand. "so what brings you here?" she asked, sitting down on the tan couch. The house was small. There was a wooden floor with an orange rug on the floor, flat screen tv against the wall and directly off of it was the kitchen.
I saw my dad walk in and stopped. "Aera. It's been so long." he hugged me. I had my father’s dark hair and pale skin.
"I know. I'm sorry. But I came here to tell you something." I took a breath. I glanced towards Damon. "Dad, this is Damon; my fianc-" the look Damon gave me cut me off. "husband.” I finished.
"What? What were you thinking? You're eighteen. You can't be married!" he yelled. That was the reaction I had been waiting from someone.
"Um, well… I am. As of last month. I haven't told anyone that we are married, just engaged. We've been dating for two years, and I love him. I just wanted you to accept us." I started to cry. I felt Damon grab my right hand, and Ella grabbed my left.
"Well, he's not poor dad. Look at her ring! That's fricken huge." she threw my hand out to him.
"That's not important Ella." he shoved her away.
"I would say it is. At least you know she won't be on the streets; poor." she said before storming off.
"I know that I haven't been involved in your life very much Aera, but listen to me. You don't know what you're doing." he pleaded.
"It's a little late for that dad. And I know more than you think. I didn't come here to get a lecture, I didn't even want to come here and tell you in the first place." I wiped the tears from my eyes. "I'm leaving." I walked out of the house without Damon.
A moment later I heard footsteps. "Aera, wait." my father yelled. I turned around and stopped by the car. "You're right. I'm sorry. Stay for dinner?" I looked at Damon who was standing in the doorway, he simply shrugged.
I nodded and walked back into the house where they were. Damon grabbed my hand. I saw Ella walk out from her room, and she came and stood by me.
My father had left the room and walked into the kitchen. It was barely noon that meant we had to stay there for quite a while.
Ella leaned into me and whispered, "I know that this is going to sound weird, but your husband is hot. Nice job." I burst out laughing at her.
"Thanks. I try." I said in my fits of giggles. The funniest part was that I knew Damon had heard every word of it, and the small smirk on his face was the greatest.
"Well, my friend’s are coming over so…" she left the room.
I leaned over to Damon "I totally embarrassed her."
"Well, I called your mother." my father walked into the living room.
"Why?" I asked skeptically. If he told her that we were married then… I was so screwed.
"I wanted to make sure you were serious. She told me that you were." he sighed. "I also called Jen to come and see you. It's been five years you know. When you didn't come to the wedding; that made her feel terrible." damn, I was hoping to avoid that conversation.
"I know. I'm sorry. And I completely expect the same thing from her, it would serve me right." I pulled the guilt trip of the century, I was good.
"No, we'll be there. I thought you said you were…" he trailed off.
"Just legally, not publicly." I admitted, feeling awkward.
"Well.… I have to go out for an hour. You should go see the town, explore." I looked at Damon who nodded. I hugged my dad, something I hadn't done in over five years. We walked out with him; Damon and I getting into the car.
"Wasn't that fun." he said. I looked at his smirking face.
"Oh yeah, loads." I told him.
"Where should we go?" he asked. I thought for a second.
"There's a cute little park in the center of town. We could go there." I suggested.
"You and parks." he laughed at me.
"Let's hope nothing bad happens this time." I winked.
"Too many witnesses." He said, straight faced.
"Oh that makes me feel good." I remarked sarcastically. I directed him where to go down the streets of people.
We parked and got out. "I used to come here all the time when I was younger." I sighed at the memories.
We walked over the chain that was around the perimeter of the park. There were two separate parts to the place; one side was the playground, the other a giant open field.
I picked a spot under one of the giant trees. We sat down on the soft grass and watched people walk by us. I crossed my legs and looked at Damon who was looking at me.
"What are you thinking about?" I probed. He had a suspicious look across his face. I wasn't too sure what it was, I had the hardest time figuring him out it was ridiculous.
"What we should do with the rest of our undead lives." I laughed in response.
"I'm still living." I whispered. We still didn't know what happened last time, but damn it, I was determined to be a vampire.
"We can change that later." I smiled.
"Do you really want to stay here? People are going to realize that you aren't getting old." He asked.
"I know. We could travel. Or move." I suggested.
"Stefan and I do have a family home in Mystic Falls, Virginia. We could stay there for a while. We are part of the founding families." I raised my eyebrow. "We're practically royalty there." He made me feel like we were the only other people in the world; it was intoxicating.
"Aera? Aera Hansen?" a dirty blonde teenage girl called my name. She looked about seventeen or eighteen. She was tall and mildly fit, wearing a green tank top and shorts. She walked over to us.
"Um… that's me. Can I help you?" I didn't recognize who she was, but she looked slightly familiar. I racked my brain to figure out who she was, but her name escaped me.
She laughed awkwardly. "You don't remember me, do you?" she cocked her head slightly to the right and put her hand on her hip.
"Sorry, no." I shook my head apologetically.
"It's May. May Ranner." she smiled as realization hit me. May had been my best friend since preschool.
I embraced her. "Oh my gosh! I didn't recognize you! You look so different." I smiled as I pulled back from our hug. I saw Damon stand up beside me. "Oh! Damon, this is May. May, this is Damon my-." he cut me off. I didn't know what to say.
"Husband." he filled in. I laughed.
"I keep forgetting that title. It's pretty new to us." I explained to her curious look.
"Oh. Newlyweds; well congratulations!" she brushed her hand on my shoulder, we just smiled at her. "So it's no longer little miss troublesome Hansen." I saw the strange look flitter across his face.
"No, now it's the equally mischievous Aera Salvatore." I giggled. I liked the sound of it. Note to self, book title!
"Sweet." she turned to Damon. "I remember in sixth grade, she and this boy, Alex," she pretended to whisper, "Who she had quite the crush on." I hit her arm playfully. "Anyway, I remember the two of the playing the biggest prank on our substitute teacher! The school was talking about it for weeks! Somehow -and I'll never know- she managed to get both of them off without any detention!" she laughed. Damon smiled at me.
I shrugged. "What can I say? I was a rebel."
"Well, I have to go. It was great seeing you again." before she left we exchanged phone numbers and Damon and I sat back down.
I saw him smile."You, a rebel? That's the equivalent to me being a saint."
"Oh blah. I used to be pretty cool; back in the day." I laughed. Damon placed a sweet kiss on my mouth. "What was that for?" I asked surprised.
"Do I always have to have a reason?" he asked.
"You do. Always an ulterior motive." I shot him an innocent look.
"My reasons for marrying you then?" he had the sarcastic smirk.
"You couldn't stand to live the rest of all eternity without me; and I've been told you love me." I kissed his cheek.
"You were told right." he grabbed my waist and pulled me into a kiss. I pulled away quickly.
"There are kids here." I whispered. I knew that when I was younger I would have made a remark of how disgusting it was, and the pointed and said 'EWWW!' Because I was that kind of a kid.
He rolled his eyes at me. I stood up and we walked to the car. We drove back to the house; I saw Ella with her clad of little friends- all teenage girls. She seemed like a pretty sweet girl. She was a freshman if I could remember right. Probably miss understood and shy as far as I could tell.
"More remarks of my good looks to come." Damon sarcastically predicted. I hit his arm playfully. "You know, you were the only girl in the whole high school I never heard comment on how hot I am."
"Cocky much?" I teased.
"Very much." he pulled the Damon Salvatore charm on me.
We got out of the car. And walked up the porch of the small house. Ella and her friends had moved into the living room and sat in a circle on the floor. Damon shut the front door behind us. We both received strange looks from the girls on the floor.
"Hi." I smiled and waved slightly at them.
"Guys, this is my step sister Aera and her husband Damon." I smiled back at them, who all said 'hi' in a cluster of mumbles.
I led Damon to the couch where we sat and watched them. I was oddly curious about Ella, and was trying to be kind about it. Damon leaned over and whispered in my ear, "Well isn't this fun." I gave him an apologetic look.
"So what are you girls doing?" I asked perkily.
"Talking about teams." sad a small red head.
"Like football or…?" I trailed off once I saw the strange looks I was receiving.
"Edward or Jacob? Eric or Bill?" Ella suggested. I knew those names.
"Isn't true blood a little mature for you girls? I watch it and even I feel awkward about some parts." I added.
"It's not the inappropriateness of it we like, it’s the vampires." of course, the vampire phase. Something everyone was going through.
"Oh I see. Silly me." I said acting stupid.
"We've come to a decision." said a brunet; acting like a leader. I gave her a curious look. "That your husband is a vampire." for a second I froze. I looked at Damon who was looking at me. I started laughing to cover up the strange silence and awkward looks.
"What makes you say that?" I said, still giggling.
"He's beautiful, pale, and has that brooding look that a lot of vampire have. Plus, he looks like he wants to eat someone." said another, matter of fact.
"Well, we've been together for over a year, and I haven’t seen any fangs. Sorry guys." I shrugged.
"What about everything else?" Ella probed.
"Genetics. His brother does the same thing." I said. I heard Damon half laugh to the side of me. They were all looking at him. He widened his eyes and smirked.
"You have a brother?" they asked in unison.
"Yes. But he's boring and no fun. Much more brooding than I am." he went along with it.
We were saved more questions when someone walked into the house. I looked over and saw Jennifer, my dad’s wife. She was a tall woman, dark hair and I was pretty sure she hated me. She never looked happy when I was around.
"Hey Aera." she smiled politely. I could tell it was forced though.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the beginning of the end. I'll be updating all at once, so thanks for reading!!