Status: Complete!!

My Undead Life With Damon Salvatore

Chapter 24

The ceremony followed in a dance hall, where Sara and Stefan danced the night away. They left around seven that evening, and I was forced to stay to pay the bill for the DJ and make sure that everything was packed up, thankfully Damon stayed with me, and so I wasn’t alone.
“You should be a wedding planner.” He smiled at me, while I finished grabbing the last box of center pieces.
I closed the door behind me and we walked out to our cars. “I don’t really think I’m qualified.” I said, putting them in my backseat.
I turned around and Damon shut the door behind me, and leaned against it, forcing me to stay with my back to the door. “I think we have time to make sure you’re qualified.” He smirked at me.
I rolled my eyes. “We have to get back, I still have to grab my suitcase.” I said to him, ducking under his arm to move. He caught me by the waist though and spun me around into his chest. Music eluded from somewhere in the not so distant forest. He held me close, took my hand in his, and put his hand on the small of my back. We swayed back and forth gently in the moonlight until the violins drifted off into the evening. He held my chin gently and leaned in to kiss me. After a moment I pulled away. "Why do you have to be so sweet?" I whispered to no one in particular.
He smirked. "It will be our secret." he said, brushing the hair from my face. I nodded smiling in pure bliss.
We made our ways to our separate cars and arrived at the hotel in time to see Sara's mom sitting in the lobby, crying. No one was around her. I motioned for Damon to go on without me.
I neared beside her by the red and gold chair she was sitting in with her head in her hands. "Are you alright, Mrs. Brennan?" I asked gently, trying not to startle her.
She nodded, looking up at me in surprise. "She's gone. My baby's gone, and on her way to the Caribbean with her husband!" She announced.
I nodded back at her. "But she'll be back, and she will always be that girl you raised her to be. Nothing can change that." I smiled at her warmly.
She wiped tears from her eyes. "If only she was like you, and wasn't getting married right out of high school, at the age of 19." I smiled at her, not knowing what to say, and deciding to let her believe what she thought. "Thank you Aera. You've been great to Sara. I know she appreciates it, even if she doesn't say it. I appreciate it as well." She smiled up at me, her eyes red from the tears she had shed.
I left after a moment, it was clear she didn't want to talk anymore. Damon was standing at the elevator when it opened. He had my bags in hand.
"Ready?" he asked, setting one down, handing me my phone.
"Guess so." I smiled at him and took it, and the one on the ground. I checked us out while Damon places my things in my car. I was still dressed in wedding attire, too exhausted to change. I checked us out and we left. Upon arriving home, I found that there were two messages on our home phone: one from Sara announcing that they were on the plane. The other was from my mother, urging me to call her back.
"Sounds important." Damon looked at me. I had my things in hand. I carried them up the stairs and put them in the closet, waiting to unpack them later.
I picked up one of the phones from the bedroom and dialed. When I heard the other line I spoke right away. "Are you alright mom?" I asked.
"Yeah, I'm fine. But your grandparents are here. They would like to speak to you." It was an ambush. I kicked off my heels in the closet and went to sit on the bed, curling my legs underneath me. I could hear the phone being passed off and someone getting on the other phone on their end.
"Aera?" my grandmother asked. "Yes." I told her slightly irritated.
"So, you're still getting married?" My grandmother confirmed in a quite upset tone. Which was strange because every other time I talked to her, she was excited.
"That is correct." I said, quite puzzled.
I heard her sight. "It's very foolish of you Aera. You have no life experience; you haven't done anything with yourself. And how do you expect to go to college? You won't have time when you're married, and then you'll have kids and then your life will be all downhill from there. And what if Damon isn't who you think he is?" She was practically in tears, as well as I was. I didn't deserve to hear it from them. I was well aware of what I had done, no I didn't care if I would go to college, and there would be plenty of time for that. I wasn't in the mood to hear it.
"I'm sorry if no one approves of my decision," I wondered what my grandfather had thought; he was on the other line saying nothing. "But if you can't respect me enough to at least respect my decision, then I'm sorry. And I know exactly who Damon is, and I love him. If you cared this much about it, none of you should have sounded happy about it in the beginning." My voice rose in anger. "That's just as bad as lying! You all made me feel accepted and now, now you're upset with me because I'm in love and I don't want to wait to get married! It's not your life, it's mine, and I will make whatever decisions and mistakes I want to, and I will have to live with them, not you." The tears covered my cheeks, where the Hell was Damon? I needed him.
"Well. If that's how you're going to be-" she replied in an angry and hurt tone.
"It is." I sniffled.
"Then we will have to respect your decision, your mother wanted us to talk to you, so Aera, we will see you in November." She took a breath, "But please, think about what we-" I hung up before she could say anything else. I threw my body on the on the pillows and cried into them. I felt a cool hand on my back and the bed shift where I felt my husband sitting.
He just sat there and let me cry for a few minutes. It was nice and calming. "Everything will be okay." he whispered gently.
I turned over to see him smiling lightly at me. I threw myself into his arms where he hugged me and whispered softly in my ear.
"Let's get away from here." he suggested.
I nodded. "Okay, where to?" I asked, completely needing it.
"Virginia. Let's go there. There is a boarding house we have there." he was completely serious, as was I.
"Let's go. Right now." he jumped up and drug me to the closet. I grabbed a pair of shorts and a tank top, threw off my dress and stockings and put them on. I grabbed my bag and frantically threw things in it, Damon doing the same. I slipped on flips flops and tossed in a pair of tennis shoes. Both of us decided that whatever we didn't have we would later purchase. We put everything in the back of the familiar black Ferrari and left. Quick as that we left our problems behind. I didn't tell anyone about it, I kept my phone but refused to answer any calls from my parents or friends. I fell asleep quickly into the ride, with much protest from me and Damon insisting that it would be fine. When I woke up again, it was nine in the morning and we were in Utah, we had been driving for barely five hours.
I smiled at my husband. "Did you know you talk in your sleep?" he asked with a mocking tone in his voice.
I raised my eyebrows. "Oh, and what do I say?" I was suddenly intrigued by my own sleeping habits.
"Well this time it was about a dog. Biting someone. It was mildly amusing." I rolled my eyes.
I sighed, "I'm glad that my dreams could provide you with some amusement." I smiled at him. We were in the middle of the desert and the air-conditioning was cranked as the sun beat down on the black that was racing down the highway.
"Having fun yet?" he asked. His eyes not focused on the road but on me.
I shrugged. "I've never done anything like this. I feel rebellious." a twinge of guilt hit me but vanished as quickly as it came.
"I always knew you were a rule breaker." he teased, glancing at the road momentarily. "It's hot." he said very bluntly. I kissed him on the cheek. "Are you trying to distract me?"
"Maybe." a sly smile appeared on my face while I looked out the front window.
I saw him smile and look at me. "Well it's working." I whipped my head do look at him, a mischievous look on me with a huge smile on my face.
The drive took about 36 hours; I made Damon stop at a hotel. Finally, we drove into the quaint little town of Mystic Falls. There was a grill, school, and a cute little subdivision where it seemed most people lived. But we went past that to outside the town and down a short dirt road that ended with a huge house and driveway. The forest spread out behind it gave the house an eerie look. The car pulled to a halt in the driveway and Damon got out of the car and came around to open my side. The air was warm and humid and the sun beat down on us.
"Let's go in, shall we?" he walked up to the door and unlocked it. The house was clean, like it had never been left. The living room was filled with knick knacks and things, above it, there was a railing to the second floor. Damon led the way, I was following closely behind.
The house was amazing. I felt gross though, and Damon being the gentleman he is, let me take the first shower while he grabbed the other suitcases.
I dried my hair and notices a not on the corner of the wide mirror above the counter. 'Back in ten~D' I put it in the trash and walked out of the bathroom in my robe and towel covering my head. I found my bag and grabbed what I needed and changed quicker than I ever thought possible.
I went to explore a bit. The woods were dark and I didn't dare go in into them, unless Damon was with me. Then again, hopefully he would have been the only scary thing there. I went back into the house and looked in the fridge. Nothing, of course. I would have to put that on our lists of things to do; feed the human.
I wanted to skip around the house screaming, I hadn't felt so relaxed and carefree in so long, it was almost surreal. I felt my phone buzz in my pocket.
"Hey." I said after looking at my caller ID. I felt my mouth curve into an upward smile.
"Just making sure you haven't burnt the house down yet." the sarcastic tone in his voice was practically oozing out of the phone.
"Well, I did burn the kitchen down, but that was about it. Speaking of which, we need food."
"I'll pick some up." it was a sweet suggestion but I wanted to explore.
"I want to come with." I pleaded.
"Alright. Come outside then." I did what he said, and he was leaning against his car, dressed in all black, black leather jacket, pants, shoes, shirt, and sunglasses. He opened the door for me and I stepped in. We zoomed off to the small local grocery store that was located in the middle of the equally tiny town. We bought whatever food I felt like eating, I was the only one that ate anyway, and after receiving some strange looks and awkward 'Hellos' we were on out way back home. We unloaded the car quickly and put them away in the beautiful wooden cupboards.
Some strange feeling swept over me. As we were standing in silence, I tossed the box of cereal I had in my hand on the counter and threw my arms around my husband’s neck. I kissed him intensely, it like if I didn't I would die. He responded quickly, he grabbed me by the waist and set me on the counter, his hands roaming over my back. A slight moan escaped from me in ecstasy while I pulled him closer. My hands entwined themselves in his hair. I wrapped my legs around him pulling him all the more closer to me. I felt him pick me up and fling me so that my back was now against the wall. A low growl came from him in the heat of the moment.
I can honestly say, that after that I don't remember much. I woke up entangled in the white sheets of the bed, my hair was tangled in a mess on top of my head, and Damon had his arm wrapped around my waist, his bottom half barely covered by the sheets. And granted, we were married, but I still felt myself blush when I glanced down.
"Good morning sunshine." Damon smiled at me.
I looked up at his flawless face. "Hey." I snuggled in closer to him.
"Do you want some breakfast?" he asked, pushing the hair from his face.
"That sounds amazing." he got up and grabbed whatever clothing article was by him and he left fairly quickly, to the point where I didn't even see him leave. "Show off." I whispered to myself.
I grabbed my underthings and put them on, and grabbed the black button up shirt of Damon's that was discarded on the side of the bed and wrapped it around myself.
The room was filled with the bright sunlight of the summer Virginia morning. I couldn't help but wonder what my mother was thinking; if she was worried, if she noticed or cared. I was upset the last time I spoke to her. I generally call back to apologize, but I didn't this time. I shook my head, trying to make the thoughts of my family disappear. They were not going to consume my life the way they had when I was younger.
I disliked them. I loved them but they sometimes made it hard for me to like them. I was forced into family things, share quality time with them, and in the end it generally ended with me getting yelled at by my grandmother and then my mother yelling at me for being yelled at before. We always had family vacations in Disneyland, and I think that I am the only person in the world that can say that they hate it and never want to go back. They made my life Hell. I wanted to make my own decisions, like I am now, and everything was turning out fine. They just assumed that because it was me I was going to fail at life.
I walked down in the shirt and sat where Damon had set a plate of blueberry pancakes for me. He kissed me on the cheek when I sat. I smiled and he came around to sit on the opposite side of the table from me.
I was about to speak when my phone rang. it was my mother. I also had several voicemails from her as well. "It's been ringing since four this morning." the time difference was off by an hour, so it was actually three in the morning there when the calls started.
"Oh dear. I don't feel like dealing with it." I took a bite out of the most heavenly pancakes ever while I listened to the messages. All mentioned that it was an emergency and to call back as soon as I could. So, I did.
"Aera, where are you?" my mother’s panicking voice came from the other end.
"What’s wrong?" I jumped to the point.
"Brace yourself." she took a shaky breath. "Your father and Gen died his morning in a car accident." I burst out crying. Damon, who could hear everything rushed to my side and held me as I balled.
"I have to tell you though." she started to cry. "For some very strange reason, they left Ella in your charge." the air in my throat caught and I couldn't breathe. I could not handle a fifteen year old. Oh Hell no. "You need to be here in the next 48 hours or she will be put in foster care."