Status: Complete!!

My Undead Life With Damon Salvatore

Chapter 25

I dropped the phone. Damon was quick to pick it up. "We will be there." he told my mother and hung up.
I stared at the wall. "I can't do it." I whispered. "I can't." Damon swooped me up in a tender loving embrace. He kissed my head and stroked my back. I clung to him as the tears fell quickly.
After a moment he pulled away and called to make flight reservations. We had to leave within the next three hours in which I spent crying while Damon diligently packed my thing and somehow managed to get me into the car.
I must have spaced out, because the next thing I knew I was on the plane, being asked to cease my crying. Damon turned towards the rude man who spoke to us from across the way.
"Mind your own damn business." he was now compelling him. "Turn around and don't speak another word." and he did. "I need a drink." he mumbled to himself.
I wiped the fresh tears from my face and looked at him. "I'm sorry; you don't need to deal with this. I'm sure that I could find some way to get out of it. You don't deserve this." I held his hand for comfort.
"Although I generally come off as heartless, just this once I won't be selfish. Ella is going to need you now more than ever. You will be her support, and that's more important than whether or not I have you all to myself." I laid my head on his shoulder. Sometimes, I didn't deserve him. Well, I never did, but somehow I managed to get him anyway. He was crude and harsh a vast majority of the time, but it was those sweet moments that I loved the most. They were so rare.
We landed at the airport where we were driven out to our house by a taxi. Damon paid him and we went into the house. There were dozens of messages left on the phone, many of which Damon dealt with while I slowly dragged myself up the stairs. I changed and washed my face with a cool rag.
By the time I went back down a half hour later, Damon had lunch set out on the table for me. He pulled out a chair for me and I sat down and stared at the food set before me. Macaroni with a side of pickles. It was basically the only thing we had food wise, and it was also my favorite thing to eat. I just stared at it like it was a mythical being.
"You need to eat it you'll make yourself sick." he gave me a look.
I took a bite, and I finished everything on it within five minutes. I hadn't eaten at all for the past day and a half. I knew we had to meet my mom. I called her anyway.
The conversation was brief. They were all coming out to our house. I rushed around cleaning every spec of it making sure everything was perfect for the social worker who was also tagging along.
I sat down for a moment; I didn't even hear the doorbell. Luckily Damon had and answered the door. Voices drifted from the rooms and I stood up to greet everyone. Ella looked how I felt, my mother was barely presentable and the other lady, the social worker, looked prim and proper.
I took a step forward. "Hello. I'm Aera. I don't usually look like this but we just got back from Virginia." I said, referring to my light blue sweat pants and neon green v-cut t-shirt, I held my hand out.
She shook it, her firm was hard and brusque. "I understand. I'm Emily."
"Let's sit down." Damon offered. "Would anyone like something to drink?" he suggested. He being so helpful was definitely a change.
Everyone shook their heads in reply. "Let’s get down to business." Emily said, pulling a folder out from her briefcase and setting I down on the glass coffee table in front. Damon put his hand on my leg as I leaned forward to speak to her.
"This is a highly unusual circumstance." she started. I stared at her. "We don't generally allow people who aren't even married to take a minor." I stopped her.
"We're married." I corrected.
"Oh? I have no record of that." Damon got up and grabbed the certificate from the frame it was in. She took it out and examined it thoroughly.
Putting it back together, she handed it to Damon. "Well I see. I'm sorry. Let us continue." she took a moment to clear her throat. "Your mother has offered to take care of Ella instead. If you agree. Now, I understand that you may not want the responsibility of a teenager at such a young age. Your mom has experience and she would be able to handle it. If you would like to take a moment to discuss that." she offered.
"No. We can handle it." I said sternly.
"Are you sure?" she asked.
I nodded. She took a sigh and grabbed some papers. "These are the things you need to sign in order for you and your husband to be her legal guardian." we took the pen she offered and signed.
Everything was done. "Her things are out in the car. We can go get them." I sighed and nodded. We walked out to the car saw the 5 suitcases she had, along with several boxes of things. We each helped carry things out, and set them in the living room. My mother left after a moment, saying goodbyes followed by promises of a phone call within the next day or so.
When everyone was gone, the three of us were left in the living room, standing awkwardly, looking from one person to another. I was the first to speak. “We have four extra rooms, if you want I can show them to you, you can choose which one you want.” I suggested. She nodded somberly, which nearly broke my heart. I walked with her, and led her to the hallway. “Let’s take the elevator.” I smiled at her.
She smiled slightly while we ascended to the third floor where the master bedroom and one bedroom were. It was a light blue one, with a balcony, and a white flowered bedspread and large extravagant white bedframe. It was my personal favorite. There was a desk and vanity in the corner, and a sitting place in the middle by the fireplace on the far wall.
We went to the purple one on the next floor that one was also shot down. We went to the other blue room, which she declared hers in a heartbeat. It had odd placement and furniture, I liked it though. It had its own bathroom and walk-in closet and sitting place with a vanity and desk. There was no balcony, but instead large window’s to look out from.
We took everything up to her room and left her alone. I thought it was for the best. I sat in front of the television, staring at it blankly while Damon went off to drink blood. He knew I didn't like to watch, it grossed me out. When he came back, I was still staring into space.
He came up behind me and kissed my cheek. Instantly I blushed for some unknown reason. "You should go to bed. You look tired." he whispered in a sensitive way.
I nodded. "I am." I stood up and walked around the couch to meet him. I was going to hug him and tell him I loved him, but instead, he picked me up and took me off to our room. I wrapped my arms around his neck while he walked up the two flights of stairs. I nuzzled myself into his chest, taking in his scent which had a nice way of comforting me. I felt the soft cushion of the bed underneath me as he laid me down. I closed my eyes, I felt him tuck the blankets around me, and I fell asleep without another word.
Ella' POV:
I took my clothes and put them away in the closet that was practically bigger than my room in my last home.
I had cried for a few days about the incident and I tried to focus away from that subject.
Aera was nice, I hardly knew her or Damon, but they seemed nice. Not to mention rich! The small amount of possessions I owned were minuscule compared to them. They were on vacation in Virginia when they got the call about me. I felt guilt at first, but I'm actually kind of excited to live with them. After this rough period, hopefully it will be. I flopped myself on the fluffy bed and stared at the crisp white ceiling. I felt my stomach growl and I realized I hadn't eaten in nearly 24 hours. I got up and walked to the door. I took a breath before opening it. I was still shy around them, but I would be living with them for the next four years of my life, and I would have to get over that.
I had heard someone walk by the door an hour before, but I didn't hear anyone walk back, I was hoping that they were upstairs still. I peeked my head out of the door and tip-toed down the hallway, trying to be quiet.
I navigated my way to the ginormous kitchen and found Damon, standing there, looking into the fridge. 'He is super attractive.' I couldn't help myself think. I mentally slapped myself though, he was now my half brother in-law. Even though that doesn't make much sense.
He turned around and smiled. "Hey munchkin." he said and closed the door and crossed past me to the island where he had a glass filled with an unknown liquid.
"I'm not that much younger than Aera." I pointed out. Four years wasn't to much in my opinion.
"Touché." he looked down at the glass filled with an amber liquid that he had. "What do you need?" he took a drink.
"I haven't eaten for a while…" I said, and he stared at me for a moment.
"Help yourself to whatever you want. We don't bite." he smirked like it was a private joke. He was weird, but hot trumps weird. I had to get over this...
"Cool, thanks." I went over to the fridge. I found an apple and grabbed it, and washed it on the island sink. "Where is my sister anyway?" I asked. I thought that the two of them had been inseparable.
"She's sleeping. I would have thought that you would do the same." he glanced at me, putting the glass he had in the dishwasher.
"I can't. I have to much on my mind." I sighed. It was true. I was really messed up at the moment on my sleep patterns anyway.
"Well, if you want, you can watch T.V out here. There's also a movie in the theater. Or you could play a game, our house is now your house." he smiled warmly at me.
"Thanks. I think I'll go back and read though." I smiled.
He shrugged. "Alright, we'll call you down for dinner then." he said.
"I could help if you needed me to." I suggested. I didn't want to just be a bump on a log while I lived here.
"No, that's fine. Go read a book, get smarter." he shooed me off. I grabbed my copy of Hex Hall, and sat down at the table and read it. I didn't realize how long it had been until there was a gentle knock on the door.
"Come in." I called out to whoever was on the opposite end.
My door opened and Aera's head slipped around the corner and smiled. "Dinner's ready, if your hungry." she said in almost a whisper.
"I'll be right there." she nodded and shut my door. I marked the page in my book, and trotted down stairs to where a heavenly smell was emerging from.
The table was set for three and on each spot was a plate with the most amazing food I had ever seen.
"I hope you like steak." Aera said, guiding me to my seat. She sat across from me, and Damon was to her right.
"I do." I nodded. Everything looked wonderful. Mashed potatoes, corn, rolls.
"We can only hope that the master chef didn't mess it up." she teased him, she shot him a playful glare.
"Ive seen your cooking skills. Breakfast for dinner every night is not the healthiest choice." he shot back.
She rolled her eyes. "Do you cook?" she asked me, taking a bite of her food.
I nodded my head. "Yeah, my parents were away a lot, so I taught myself how to." I smiled, the memory still stinging. Luckily it didn't reduce me to tears.
"Well, it's a good skill to have. If I didn't have Damon, it would be pancakes for every meal, everyday." she informed me.
"Just one of the many things that makes me amazing." he told me. Aera and I simultaneously rolled out eyes.
I took a bite out of the wonderful steak, and before I knew it was quickly devoured. They were talking quietly amongst themselves, I didn't know about what though, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to know anyway.
"So, you're going to be a freshman?" Aera asked me.
I nodded in reply, "Yup." I smiled. I wished that I would have gotten to spend my high school years with my best friends, but there would be no way that would happen. I would have to start school here, where I knew no one. I would be alone my freshman year, as if being a freshman wasn't bad enough, I would be without friends.
"Don't worry, it's not as bad as they say. There's no initiation or anything. At least there wasn't when I was in high school." she we trying to be nice and polite, hoping to make me feel less awkward.
"I was kind of worried about that. It would have been twice as worse if there was." I finished the food that was on my plate, Damon stood up and cleared them for us.
"Do you want to come watch a movie with us?" Aera asked sweetly.
I shook my head no. "I think I'm going to go to bed, if that's alright." it wasn't really a question.
"Of course. I'll see you in the morning then. Goodnight Ella." she smiled as I walked off.
Through the kitchen Damon was loading the dishwasher; he glanced up to see me walk out of the room.
"Going to bed so early?" he asked.
"Yeah. Thanks for dinner." I was trying to be polite, but it ended up being awkward.
"No problem. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask." he smiled at me. I nodded and walked up the stairs to my room.
Aera's POV:
I sighed after she left the room; I heard her talking to Damon, waited until after she left to go see him. I rose from the table and place the napkin that was on my lap on the table. He was finished with cleaning up, meaning that I had come in right on time.
I stood at the end of the island counter and waited for him to turn around. He saw me, and walked up and put his hands behind my back, wrapping them around my waist. "She's too polite." he said as a joke.
I half-heartedly smiled at him. "I would act the same way if I were her." I know that I would have felt awkward around people that I hardly knew.
He rolled his eyes. "I know. You're too polite anyway." I glared at him momentarily. "Where was the polite part of you when we first met?" he joked.
"It was trying to figure out what the Hell your obsession with me was all about."
"I was not obsessed with you. I just thought you a weird kid. I wanted to know why. Unfortunately, compelling you to tell me didn't get much out of you anyway." I felt so stupid not to have known that he did that in the beginning.
"That was cheating." I gave him my pouty lip and he laughed at me.
"You and rules. I broke so many that first time I kissed you." he smiled at the memory. I thought about. Being pushed up against my car…feeling the way his lips molded to mine.
"Did you know, that was my first kiss?" I inquired. He probably did, but one can never be too sure with him.
He gave me a puzzled look. "Now that I think about it, you didn't really know what you were doing then. That makes sense now." I pulled away from his embrace and slapped him on the arm.
"You scared me! You jerk! You can't just go up to a girl and whip her around and make out with her! I hardly knew you then." I glared playfully.
"But if I did it again?" he took a step forward and whispered in my ear seductively.
"I- I would be fine." I hesitated.