Without Any Warning

Birthday presents

November 11, 1999 (still)

“Hey Aunt Teresa, it’s Nikolette,” I say, my voice sounding more nervous than intended as it enters the phone.

“Oh Nikki, I heard about your dad, I’m so sorry,” Teresa says back sympathetically.

“I kinda think he’ll come around once the baby is born, I’m hoping so anyways.”

“I’ll be sure to keep it in my prayers dear. Now, what can I do for you?”

“Well you see, I’m currently living with Matt, my boyfriend, in his parents house, which is amazing and all but given the current circumstances I feel as though we should at least try to be a little independent given the current circumstances. I know you’ve been somewhat looking for help at your shop, and also that there is an apartment above the shop you want to rent out. I understand if you say no, I just want you to consider it for a while. I can’t guarantee we can afford it, but I promise we’ll do our best.”

“Nik, I’d love to have you and my future great niece or nephew so close, and I know you’re a damn good worker when you wanna be. Tell you what, I’ll talk to my husband and we’ll think about it and I’ll give you a call back later today, alright hun?”

“That sounds wonderful Aunt T, thanks.”

“No problem. Oh and hey happy birthday kiddo. Bye.”

“Thanks, bye.”

I flip my phone closed and place a hand on my stomach, a smile forming on my face as a pleasant feeling washes over me.

“Hey there gorgeous, that’s an awful big smile I see there, I take it the call went well?” Matt says when he returns from the shower. I nod, wrapping my arms around his waist and breathing in his scent.

“She’s going to talk to my uncle about it but she seemed pretty okay with the idea, and I just have a good feeling about it, and everything else. I’m just happy about the whole situation for once actually. I think we might have a chance of this working out.” Matt smiles and runs his fingers through my hair.

“Are you ready for your birthday present?” Matt asks, sitting next to me on the bed.

“I suppose, even though I told you not to get me anything.”

“Just shut up and open it,” Matt says while thrusting a box into my hands. I sigh and slip the top off the box, revealing a tiny black onesie with Jack skellington on it and ’Mommy’s Little Nightmare’ written across it.

“See it’s not technically for you so you can‘t get mad about it.”

“It’s perfect Matt. ” My cell phone rings and I pounce, to the best of my ability, on it. “Hello?”

“Hey Nikki, it’s Aunt Teresa. Just wanted to call and let you know that I talked to Dave and we’re gonna go ahead and give you guys a shot. The apartment is ready whenever you are.” We talk over a few details before hanging up.

“See babe, everything is going to work out, don’t you worry.” Matt says, placing a kiss upon my temple.

“This is all too good to be true.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Nik’s Outfit