Run Arabella Run

The Beginning

Running as if she was racing the wind all Arabella could hear was the pounding of her heart and heavy labored breathing. Taking a chance Arabella glanced over her shoulder to see if he was still following her; nothing, just the trunks of dead trees she passed. Arabella kept her speed just incase the man hadn’t stopped following her. Hidden from view in the tall grass she tripped over a rock partially sunken in the parched dirt.

Her body tipped forward faster then Arabella was able to keep her balance and she fell down to the earth. Sharp pains ran up her arm as it collided with the ground trying to prevent her from more serious harm. A gasp of pain escaped her chapped lips as Arabella tried to breathe normally without her lungs feeling like they were on fire.

Catching her breath Arabella looked up at her surroundings. All around her was dried out golden-yellow grass; in the distance she spotted tire tracks molded into the dead grass that led to a shabby looking house. Arabella stared a moment more with hope swelling up inside her until the unmistakable crack of a fallen tree branch was heard behind her. Arabella looked over her shoulder in one quick motion, terror gnawing at her heart as she heard his soft laugh.

“Come out, come out wherever you are.” His voice was soft and harsh as he said those playful words trying to reach her. Her pulse quickened with pure adrenaline as Arabella pulled herself up and raced through the desolate golden field trying to reach the old house before he caught up with her.

The door looked ancient and gray, splintering from battling the weather. Though it didn’t matter how it looked to the out-of-breath girl as she walked rapidly up to the door to her salvation. Surely someone had to live here or at least have a phone.

Much to Arabella’s surprise the worn brass doorknob turned without a squeak and the door opened noiselessly. It should be that this simple action would give her comfort but it only made her fear bubble closer to the surface of her skin. Spotting an old fashion dial phone in the foyer hall Arabella swiftly closed the door behind her and made her way over to the phone.