Morning Star

הנשיקה הראשונה

We flew many skylines, and walked many gardens. You snatched lesser stars right off their perch and put them in my hair, taking a step back to watch them sparkle in the form of a crown. He is the King, and we are His princes, you’d tell me, offering a rose for a sceptre.

What would you have me rule, Other Prince? I asked you, playing along a game whose rules only you knew.

Then you took my hand, placed it upon your smooth chest. I could feel the mimicry of something human beneath your skin, enclosed in an equally false and equally human ribcage.

My heart, if you deem it worth the trouble, Messenger, you said. If you can find enough time in your day to—

You are simply ineffable! I exclaimed, wrought with disbelief, and joy. I did not know a combination would occur so often in history, but that was the start of it all.

I have never heard that word before, you said, bringing my hand up to your lips as if I were blessing you, when it should be the other way around. Don’t you go around making up things for me, little one. It may not be in the Father’s plan.

The Father is fond of made up things, as long as they are not lies, I remember grinning when I felt the skin of your mouth touch my skin. And that is most certainly not a lie.

So is that a yes, my sweetest, dearest, darlingest (Now that is not a word, I interjected, giggling) Gabriel? Do you accept?

I accept, I said, brightly, for who could ever say no to you? That pleased you, undoubtedly, because that was the first time you touched your smile to mine. I did not know what you had taken, yet, but I would have let you anyhow. For millennia after that first time such an act would be considered both carnal and sacred to the humans, and I do not know if you had foreseen that far, or reckoned that you would simply enjoy it. You took me by surprise, but I like to think you considered that I would enjoy it too. We were not built to experience pleasure but we found ways to do so anyway, feeling electricity on our skin sevenfold as if we had the right kinds of receptors in our veins, licking our lips to wet them as if they get chapped occasionally by the wind and are not perpetually plump and perfect because it was the way we were made – and we were made to stay the same.

You cupped my cheek in your palm as if it was the petal of the most delicate flower, tearing itself apart at the merest touch, and fit your mouth right over my own as if you expected honey to come forth from my tongue. What did come was much sweeter, a moan of acquiesce, of happiness, of total unbridled and unsullied surrender. A promise that I would always be yours as long as you gave me as many kisses as I desired. Our discoveries did not stop there, but those are for a later time.

Just know that you gave me your heart that day, but you also stole mine in return.