Status: Donneee

A Family Man at Heart

7-10 years ago

“Jules, where are you going?”
“Out, away from you.” I yelled to my brother. He was three years older than me. And he refused to let me see my latest crush.
I ran out of my house in the middle of farmland during December and high-tailed it through the snow covered field to my best friend’s house. Jon lived about a mile down the road and normally it would take me ten minutes to walk, but with the snow it would take longer, but that didn’t stop my softball playing body from running through the snow like it wasn’t there. It only took me ten minutes to reach the back door that was always open. I let myself in before going to Jon’s bedroom on the top floor and grabbing a pair of his shorts and a t-shirt to change into. After changing in his bathroom, I went to his basement where he spent his days trying to perfect his singing voice and slap shot. My short hair cascade around me perfectly shaped face. My green eyes pierced since I was in an angry mood.
Jon must’ve heard me coming down the stairs because he stopped singing. It also had to be a new song, because it didn’t sound familiar.
“What’s wrong, Jules?”
“Jared is such an asshole sometimes.”
“What he do now?”
“He won’t let me go out with Mac on Saturday after the wrestling match.”
“Why?”
“Because he is determined to ruin my life since our parents can’t.”
“I’m sure that’s not how it is, Jules.”
“But it is, Jon. Whatever, I’m over Jared right now. Let’s just get to work.” I picked up my guitar and the sheets with our newest song. “One, two… You know that time, down by the crick. Yeah, I remember like it was yesterday. You were there in that white tee, and me, in your shirt. We played, laughed, and had fun in that there water. Do you remember?”
“Do you remember? Down by that crick.” Jack sang with me. We strummed along on the guitar and finished the song in harmony. You’d think that two fifteen year old kids singing in their basement meant they weren’t that good, but we were. No one really knew we were, but Jon’s Momma always told us we were fantabulous. We believed her too.
“That had to be one of the best times for this song.” I told my partner.
“Yeah, we weren’t that bad.”
I nodded and then spoke the thought that was on my mind. “Do you ever dream of getting out of here? Leaving this hellhole, middle of nowhere town?”
“Who in their right mind doesn’t dream about getting out of here?”
“True enough,” I replied absentmindedly, going through the next song in my head.

7 years ago (2007)
Today’s the day. I’m telling Jules about the draft. She doesn’t know yet, but I’m being entered into the NHL Draft this year. I was excited beyond belief. I just didn’t want to share this with her just yet. We started to date about two weeks ago now; I just didn’t want to ruin that. I wanted her to go with me wherever I went, that’s all I knew for sure.
“Hey, Jules,” I said to my girlfriend before reaching her side and kissing her cheek.
“Boyfriend of mine, are we going out on Friday?”
“We can if you want. Why?” I questioned.
“Clarissa and Jake want to double.”
“We can work that out somehow.”
“Great, are you coming?” she asked as she started towards our senior English class. I heard her laugh and continue on before I finally caught up. I took her small hand in mine. I took a moment to look over her recent makeover. She had chosen to cut her originally mid back length hair to just below her shoulders, not touching the colors. My girlfriend also lost close to ten pounds over the last few months. I don’t know why she did, but she did. She looked just as good before as she does now. “What are you staring at, Jon?”
“You, because you are beautiful,” I pulled out of my ass when I realized what she had said.
“Thank you,” she replied before taking her seat in front of me.
Class started and I was momentarily distracted until she passed a note behind her back. It landed on my desk.

Tomorrow night, we have a gig at the bar. Supposedly someone’s coming to watch! :)

Okay. I’ll pick you up, like always?

I passed the note back to Jules.

You bet, hot shot. We have to rock it. Can we practice tonight in the garage or basement?

I have practice until five, but after that we will be okay.

Great. See you at your house!

I thought I was driving you home today?

Clarissa asked me to go shopping. I’ll take one tomorrow. Oops, two minutes and I think Lauer noticed me writing when we are supposed to be listening. Bye!

I didn’t reply to this note, I just shoved it into my back pocket. Class ended shortly after. I said goodbye to my girl before heading to my car and driving to my house in the fields. I had to get my practice gear I had conveniently forgotten since I offered Jules a ride home.
“What are you doing home?” mom asked as I walked in the back door.
“I forgot my practice gear. I’m grabbing it before running off to practice. Jules and I are going to practice after that. Don’t hold dinner for me tonight.” I kissed her cheek before taking my gear to the car and hopping back in. I then headed to the ice rink.