Status: Donneee

A Family Man at Heart

5 years ago

(2009)
Today’s the day I get to see Jon play hockey in front of the world. I am very excited. He gave me tickets to sit right behind his bench so he could easily say hi to me. I was ecstatic. I couldn’t believe I was moving to Chicago to be with him now, after two years went by between graduation and now. I had been offered a small record deal, which I completed and am now working on a new CD in Chicago. I hoped being with my inspirational boyfriend would help with ideas. So, here I am, at the season opener at the United Center in Chicago, Illinois. All I can say is it’s a lot different than home. I could see why Jon loved it. It was so busy all the time.

“Tonight’s number one star issssss… Jonathon Toews, your team captain!” the announcer boomed. I shouted my head off as I saw Jon head back onto the ice. He waved, turned and smiled in my direction. I knew he tried extra hard for me. And by trying, he got two goals and two assists. Chicago won 4-2. What Jon and I didn’t know was that this was the end of his hot streak.
Jon and I went to celebrate with his teammates after the game at a small steakhouse that was open after hours just for the team and their family. I found myself disliking Patrick Kane, but liking Patrick Sharp. Others I got along with were Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook. They seemed pretty cool, as did their girlfriends.
By the time Jon and I got back to his apartment, it was super late. He said he regretted partying so hard. They had an early skate the next morning. I just slipped him some pain pills and water so his headache would go away. I pulled a bucket up next to the bed and put the bottle of aspirin on his bedside table with some water. Then we headed to bed. I shared his bed before, but tonight Jon wanted to go farther than we ever had before. We went all the way. A goal in hockey terms, the reasons were blurry in my mind. It was most likely the booze in our systems, but we did it anyways.
A few weeks later, Jon started his downward spiral and I found out I was pregnant from our goal of the season opener. I told Jon later that morning, in bed, after we had gone the extra goal for more than once.
“You’re pregnant?”
“Yes,” I replied, knowing positively I was pregnant. I had even gone to a doctor to confirm it.
“And it’s from the season opener?”
“The one and only,” I mumbled as I wrapped my arms around his torso. We were only twenty years old and were going to be parents.
His cell phone chirped on the night stand. I let go as he reached for it.
“It’s Mommma Toews,” he read the caller ID. I nodded for him to answer it. “Hey, Momma.”
“How’s my baby?” I could hear Andree’s voice.
“I’m fine, Mom. Chicago has been nice these last few weeks.”
“That’s great, darling. Now, I wanted to talk to Julia. Is she there?”
“She wants to talk to you, babe,” he handed me the phone.
“Hi, Momma Toews.”
“Momma Toews has a feeling deep down in her gut, and I don’t know what it is. I just feel like something is wrong. Do you know what that might be? Is Jon sick or something and just not telling me? Or is something wrong with you, dear?”
“Do I tell her?” I asked with my hand covering the receiver.
“Go ahead,” Jon kissed my head before getting up to put clothes on for morning skate.
“Jon and I are having a baby, Momma Toews.”
“That’s wonderful, dear. How far along are you?”
“Six weeks,” I replied.
“A summer baby then, delightful. I can’t wait to see you when we come in for Christmas. You take good care of yourself. You have my only grandbaby to worry about. I love you and Jon very much, Julia. Take care, see you very soon.”
“Bye, Momma Toews.”
We hung up the phone by the time Jon came back to the bed, fully clothed.
“How’d she take it?”
“She’s excited. How come you didn’t tell me they were coming down for Christmas? I thought we were going up there?”
“We were going to, but Momma wants to see Chicago. I don’t know what’s gotten into her.”
“Oh,” I replied and kissed him so he could get to practice.