Status: Donneee

A Family Man at Heart

Present Day

I haven’t heard or seen Julia since that day she told me about the baby. She packed up and left while I was at practice. I thought things were going well with us. She had moved in with me for heavens sakes. I didn’t know what I did to make her want to leave, but she did. I tried to find her, everywhere we went. I looked at home in Winnipeg, I looked in Chicago, and I looked in Nashville since it was music city and the only placed she ever talked about going during our teen years.
I couldn’t find a trace of my girlfriend. Since it’s been five years, I found a new girlfriend. We’ve been going together for a few months now. I knew if I ever found Jules, I’d have to do something with my life, but I didn’t know what. I didn’t even know if I was a father to a baby girl or boy! I had a kid in the world who didn’t know their real dad. My new girlfriend doesn’t know about Jules, or the baby for that matter.

“Jon,” I whispered. I saw him standing outside my building. I noticed a skinny blonde woman walk out of the building. He gave her a small smile, not like the ones he had given me. He kissed her cheek before opening the door like a gentleman. He then got in and they drove away.
As Jon pulled away from the curb, a tear slipped through my eyes. I had come back to Chicago for one reason. To tell Jon about our baby, our baby who died. It’s a tragic story, it really is. I gave birth just over four years ago. I was all alone with no one to call or inform of the baby’s birth. I had, after all, walked away from Jon, not the other way around. So, I gave birth and went home to Winnipeg with our baby girl, Alyssa. I gave her my maiden name so she wouldn’t be known as Jon’s child. She grew up with Jon’s parents as grandparents, and her only ones. The only thing was that his parents weren’t allowed to tell Jon where we were. They kept their promise over the years. But now there was no secret. Our baby died because of a birth defect. The nurse at the hospital I was in after a minor incident had given me the wrong dosage of a medication. Long term effects of this drug were birth defects for children, the warning label clearly said do not give to pregnant or may become pregnant mothers. I documented I was pregnant and still received the drug. And it took my daughter’s life from me. She was perfectly healthy one day and the next I was sitting in the hospital waiting for someone to tell me they couldn’t save her. And, here I am now. Heading to the United Center were I knew I could find one of the Patrick’s. One of the two was always there. I knew from secret trips down here with Alyssa.
I saw Jon’s car in the parking lot. I got up the nerves to go in and told the security guard on duty I had urgent business with Coach Q. Coach Q knew who I was, so when he was called about letting me in, he did so graciously. He told them to escort me to his office before I could watch the team skate. I followed the escort and had a brief talk with Coach Q.
“Julia Webber, it’s nice to see you. It’s been, what, five years?”
“Yes, sir. I kind of need to see Jon. I know he’s here with someone or something and it’s team skate, but this is the first time I’m going to see him since the last time I saw you.”
“He’s been looking everywhere for you. I already have him showering and coming up here. Do you want me to wait here or get back to practice?”
“Whatever you choose, it is your office.”
“I’ll leave you two alone to your issues. His parents called, I’m sorry for your loss. Good luck,” he said before exiting. Jon knocked on the door a few minutes later.
“Come in,” I muffled.
“Jules?” he said in disbelief.

“Jules,” I said in disbelief. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.
“Hi, Jon. I understand if you never want to see me again after today, but there are things you need to know.”
“Like what? You tell me you’re pregnant and leave me while I go to practice? You don’t ever call to tell me how my kid is! You don’t even bother to tell me where you end up! What else could there possibly be?”
“Our daughter. Her name was Alyssa. She had your eyes and hair. She had my nose, she was so adorable, Jon. She got our best features. And she used to run around your parents house like she was on top of the world.”
“My parents knew where you were?”
“This isn’t the time for questions. Let me say what I have to say,” she demanded. I just nodded and listened on.
“Alyssa was born with a birth defect. I was in an accident after I left Chicago. A cab ran into my car in New York City. I was there six months before I left again. But, the nurse gave me a bad medicine for pregnant women. So Alyssa got a defected heart. She died two months ago,” she started to cry. I moved to try and comfort her. She put out her hand and sniffled the tears away. She wasn’t done. “She knew all about you. We had even been to a few games here in Chicago. I never once denied her the chance of knowing who her Daddy was. I just couldn’t bring myself to come here and show her to your face. I couldn’t do it. So I ran, like a coward. Well, I can’t be a coward anymore. I love you like I did when we were fifteen. I don’t think I will ever stop loving you. I know there’s someone else in your life. I don’t expect you to drop everything and come back to me. I just thought you needed the truth now.”
“Truthfully, there is no one else. That girl downstairs, she is a close friend. I needed a girl to trust. I picked her. I broke up with the last girlfriend last week.”
“Jon, does that mean?” I saw her upped lip quiver. I nodded and she ran into my arms to kiss me. I couldn’t believe I was holding the only woman for me in my arms. I couldn’t believe it. I was astounded by all we went through to get here. We left Coach’s office and quickly went to my car. I forgot about my friend, knowing Kaner was driving her home anyways. I rushed to my apartment and let us in. There, I scored a goal with the only one I ever scored with. I hadn’t missed anything more than this woman. I loved her. She loved me.

A year later (2015)
“So, Jules, when are you due with the little one?” Momma Toews asked at the family barbeque in Winnipeg.
“What little one?” I asked innocently. The family party was thrown at the local country club. Jon and I got married two weeks after I returned to his life. Eight months later we welcomed Jonathon Junior to the family. Yesterday, I told Jon we were going to be parents for the third time.
“The one you are trying to hide from your mother-in-law.”
“It’s a secret, only Jon, you, and I know. Don’t tell anyone just yet. We were waiting until after David’s wedding,” I told her and reminded her of her youngest son’s upcoming nuptials.
“Only because I love you,” she kissed my cheek, went to kiss Jon’s, and then headed to her husband’s side. I loved that woman more than I loved my own brother. She was my mother figure and for that, I was grateful.
“Say hi to Momma, Jonny,” Jon instructed our son who was learning to walk and talk.
“Hi!” our baby boy bustled. Jon was holding his hands and smiling like a mad man. I quickly got my camera and snapped a keeper of a picture.
Later, when developing the picture, I wrote on the back :2015 Family Barbeque, My Boys.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoy this. This is not what I originally planned for the story line, but it worked out in the end!