Status: This has been on hiatus for far too long. I am attempting to get back in the swing of it. No promises. Bare with me.

In the Middle

A Proposition

Robert stepped in front of the bathroom mirror, straightening his tie and perfecting his hair. He was attractive and he knew it, thankful for the good genes his parents gave him. His deep chocolate brown eyes were enough to make a woman swoon if he used just the right look, which he had perfected years and years ago. His bone structure was enough to make some of the sexiest male models jealous, and his perfectly straight teeth flashed the most dazzling smile, sure to brighten the darkest of rooms.

He smirked at his appearance, pleased with how he looked. Then walked quietly into the bedroom, smiling softly down at Hunter’s small frame. She was cocooned within the warm blankets, her hair splayed out about her head, bits of it covering her face. Her chest rose and fell slightly with every little breath. A small kiss was pressed lightly to her forehead, rousing her slightly. With half-lidded eyes her lips curved upwards in a haphazard grin. Then, her eyes shut groggily and her breathing evened back out as she dropped back into sleep.

“I love you, my little doe,” he whispered, backing silently out of their shared room. He wished more than anything he could lay in bed beside her, wasting the day away with her in his arms. Who could blame him? Did anyone really enjoy going to work? Surely not, especially when the alternative was so beautiful.

Regardless of his desires, he made his way to work. Stepping in through the large building’s expansive glass doors he was overwhelmed by the clamor of his co-workers, bustling about in their suits and dress shoes. He let out a low sigh and entered the elevator, pressing the little round button that read ‘5’ and waiting to reach his floor. He remembered the first time he pressed that button, happy to be advancing. When he had first started off with this company he had been on the third floor, which smelled musty and was poorly lit. The ding of the elevator alerting him to his exit opened the doors to an open floor, large cubicles were spread out spaciously with a series of offices surrounding the outer walls.

He made his way over to one of the offices and sat behind the large oak desk. A small placard reading “Robert M. Johnston” sat at the front, glimmering in the artificial light. Also on his desk, though facing him, were photographs framed in a clean black. They all held images of Hunter. A trip to the zoo as children, their prom photo, one of her curled up in the chair by their living room window, book in hand. The last was his favorite. She looked so serene, yet excited all at the same time.

He quickly got to work, the images before him a daily reminder of why he needed to get things done quickly, yet efficiently. The sooner he finished, the sooner he could get home to Hunter. Going over the multiple accounts he managed wasn’t fun, but it was work and he was good at it. He hoped his proficiency wouldn’t go unnoticed. The fifth floor was nice, but he wanted to continue his climb to the top.

After about an hour there was a knock at the door. Before he had the chance to answer, it swung open and in its doorway stood a tall, middle-aged man. His dark hair was graying on the sides, something he claimed made him feel distinguished. He smiled as he stepped inside, closing the door behind him. Most of Robert’s co-workers would be nervous about a situation such as that, but not him. His father had gone to University with Christopher Farrow which is how Robert had gotten the job at Farrow Financial, the cities largest financial company to be sure.

“Robbie, my boy!” the older man called out to him, his voice booming like a thunderclap, as he crossed the room. “How’re ya doin’ today?”

“I’m doing well, Christopher. And yourself?” he replied, maintaining eye contact with the gentleman before him. He longed to continue his work on the caseload in front of him, but he knew that would be taken as a sign of disrespect by his boss. Instead, he laced his fingers together atop the desk to keep him from reaching for the stacks of paperwork before him.

“I have a proposition for you. It’s more of a favor to me, really,” Mr. Farrow stated, closing the door to the office and taking a seat across from him. This captured Robert’s interest instantly. This could be the chance at a raise, or better yet, another promotion! He would do whatever was asked of him to get to the top, that was certain.

“Anything, sir. Name it and it’s as good as done!” Robert claimed, placing all his effort into concealing his excitement. He didn’t want to come across as a giddy schoolboy.

“I just ask that you keep an eye on my daughter. She’s just gotten out of a rough relationship and I am concerned for her well-being,” he spoke softly, compassion evident in his aged face. “I’m not asking you to spend all of your time away from work with Veronica, I know you have that girl of yours waiting at home for you. I would, however ask, that you keep an eye on her. Lift her spirits; keep her safe.”

“I understand, Mr. Farrow,’” though really, he didn’t understand at all. Why him? Why not choose one of the single men that had time to spare on this girl? Why him, when all he wanted was to get home to his Hunter? And then it hit him. Christopher trusted him above all others to entrust his daughter with. It was common knowledge within the company that he would throw the whole business down the tubes, just for her well-being. “When would you like me to start on this?”

The man across from him glanced at the shiny Rolex that wrapped about his wrist and smiled. “How about four hours from now? Did you have anything planned for lunch?” Robert shook his head. He never had plans for lunch besides eating, which he voiced. “Good. I have plans with her, which I will have to cancel when she arrives due to a conference call. You can take her out in my place. On me, of course. I don’t want her to know that I am behind this, she’ll be upset. I’m just worried and want someone that I can trust to look out for her when I’m not around. Keep it casual and light, you need to come across as a friend, not a body guard or shrink.”

“Of course,” Robert agreed. He understood fully.

“Right, then I’ll be off so you can get to your work. At the start of your lunch break, do come straight to my office. We’ll talk more then.”

And with that, Mr. Farrow was out of the seat and through the door before Robert could even react. He looked around his small office in a daze. It was going to be an interesting day, that was for sure. He sighed, gently shaking his thoughts and pulled the stack of paperwork to him, searching through the file on his largest case. Time to get back down to business.

By the time lunch was coming about, Robert had gotten through nearly the entire Ellwood file and part of the Morrison file. He finished inputting the last bit of data into his computer before sliding from his seat. His bones ached with stiffness from setting in one position for so long and he stretched his tightened muscles.

Once he had made his way to the elevator, he pressed the shiny silver button for the eighth floor and let out a deep sigh when the doors slid shut, leaving him alone with his thoughts. All of which ran along the same notion. What am I getting myself into? Before he could think on it too hard the elevator came to a stop and a chime sounded, alerting him to the opening of the doors. He took one last deep breath as he ran his fingers casually through his hair.

Christopher sat lazily in his office, his feet propped up on top of his desk. He smiled warmly as he motioned to a seat across from him. It was quickly filled and they sat and spoke amiably about Robert’s cases for a bit until there was a soft buzzing noise interrupting the conversation. A quiet voice spoke at a volume so low the words were completely indiscernible.

“You’re going to need to learn to speak up, Mary,” he told the young secretary. “In my old age my hearing isn’t what it used to be. I need to be able to clearly understand the messages you’re giving me.”

Robert stifled back a chuckle as he pictured the poor young woman blushing profusely. She had always been shy, so it astounded him that she should be working for such a forward man. He looked to the older man across from him who looked ready to burst as he waited to hear the repetition of her message.

“Daddy, there’s no need to be so rude to the poor girl,” a very different voice rang through. It was musical, yet strong all at once. “She was just letting you know that I’m on my way up.”

Within a matter of minutes the door was opening and in its frame stood a beautiful young woman. Her eyes eyes shone with joy and her hair looked aflame in the light, falling in auburn cascades to her shoulders. Her slight build stood tall, clad in a sleek eggplant dress that fell just a couple inches above the knees.

“Veronica, I’m not going to be able to do lunch with you as planned.” Christopher spoke tenderly, clasping her small arms in his oversized palms. “Urgent conference call in ten minutes, I can’t get out of it. I’m so sorry, Punkin.”

“I can wait,” she affirmed. “It’s not that big of a deal.”

Christopher shook his head softly. “Not this time. It could take an hour and I won’t keep you that long. I was just expressing my concern with Mr. Johnston here and he said he would be more than happy to accompany you to lunch.” He motioned toward the blond that stood a few feet away and smiled.

Veronica mustered up a smile and her best excuse to avoid lunch with this stranger. When she turned to face him, both disappeared. All she could manage was one small, breathless word.

“Robert?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Here goes another profuse apology for a long wait. Only two months this time instead of three. I don't know what happened, I was all ready to keep going and then BAM! Writer's block. I think it may be due to the fact that Robert is the focus on this chapter and I don't particularly like him right now, but he'll become a bit more likable soon, so it'll be easier for me to write. Honest.

Another reason for my prolonged absense is that I was doing much more reading than writing on here. It's a problem. I seriously will spend an entire day on here reading if I can find something good. And I usually find something good. I'm about to start doing reccomendations soon here. :)

To anyone that cares, here's what you've missed in my not so exciting life. My husband and I were successful in our apartment search and we weill be moving in just over a month. I am very excited, but the stress of the upcoming move is driving me slightly batty. A couple days ago (August 16th to be exact) was my 22nd birthday. Not to exciting, just went on a date to the movies with my man and then came home and passed out. I'm so interesting, right? Oh, and I have a job interview tomorrow, so we'll see how that pans out.

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!!
Oh, and no one told me what they thought of me doing something extra if you comment. Do I have to come up with something now so I can get opinions on the matter? I'm seriously willing to bribe you guys for comments. worldclass and ALLSTARLOVE333 are the only two that faithfully comment, and with substance!! I have a feeling they're the only two that will get continual special treatment.