My Beautiful Rescue

Loving someone is not as easy as you may think...or is it?

His name’s Casey. He treats me as if I’m a gift sent from heaven. He’s my best friend. He’s perfect. No other boy is as good to me as Casey is. No other boy let me cry into his shoulder through the whole night; no other boy would watch all of my favourite programmes with me; no other boy can make me laugh as much anywhere near as much as he can; and no other boy can come as close to ever meaning as much to me as Casey does. I love him.
So there I was sitting on the bench in the park, waiting for Casey. I had been waiting for almost 10 minutes, but I didn’t mind as he was probably running late from band practice. I looked up to see him running along the path towards me, his guitar case slung over his shoulder and his hair blowing into his eyes. When he reached me he was clearly out of breath, I especially realised this when he began to speak.
“I am so sorry Gabii! Really sorry! Band practice finished late, I tried to go, but Jarrod’s dad came down and wanted to listen, so I had to stay. I’m sorry, so so so so so so sorry. Can you ever forgive me? Is there any way that I can make it up to you? I’m soooooo-“
“I cut him off from his rather cute rambles. “Calm down Casey, it’s fine. I don’t mind,” I smiled.
“Really?” he asked, catching his breath. I nodded and a smile broke out across his face. “I got you these,” he held out a bouquet of flowers in his outstretched arm.
“Awehhh, thanks Casey,” I smiled, hoping that my blush wasn’t too visible. “Why’d you get them for me?”
I noticed his cheeks get a bit pinker before he replied, “I felt like it. And besides, aren’t I allowed to get my favourite girl flowers?” I grinned and poked his side. I loved it when he called me his favourite girl.
“You’re so sweet,” I hugged him.
“He returned the hug, “Not as sweet as you.” Then he took my hand in his and suggested that we find a nice shady tree to sit under.
As we sat down, he looked at me carefully. I was not at all sure as to why he was doing this, so I asked him.
“I’m just looking at you,” was his reply.
“But why?”
“Because I like looking at you,” I broke out into laughter at his humour, only to realise that he had a look of seriousness on his face.
“You’re not being serious are you?”
“Of course I’m being serious,” he replied, pulling me into his lap. “You’re the most beautiful being around.” I began to blush, so I hid my face in his chest.
“No I’m not,” I defended.
“You are Gabii,” he stated, lifting up my chin so our eyes met. “You really are.” I felt my heart begin to beat even more wildly in my chest, as I leant in and gently kissed his cheek. I pulled back and looked at him, only to realise that he was blushing adorably. I smiled and poked his cheek gently.
“Awehhh, you’re blushing.”
“I am? You can see it?” he asked, blushing deeper and covering his face with his hands.
“Haha, yes,” I giggled whilst he just kept holding his face in his hands. I reached for his tummy and tickled him; his hands immediately moved from his tinted face to try and stop me from tickling him. In doing so, he fell backwards and because of my position on his lap I fell on top of him. I carried on tickling him however.
“Please stop,” he begged through his giggles.
“What do I get out of it if I do stop?” I asked laughing along with him.
“Anything,” he replied almost in tears.
“Anything?” I repeated.
“Anything,” he confirmed.
“Okay then,” I agreed and rolled next to him after tickling him for a few seconds longer. In reply he turned onto his side and lazily threw his arm around me as I snuggled up to him.
“That was mean,” he whined like a two year old, but somehow pulled it off as really cute. I giggled as he pulled me closer into his chest, exposing me more to his delightfully intoxicating scent.
“I know what you can do,” I smiled up at him, referring to the deal that was made a few minutes before.
“And what might that be?” he asked.
“I want you to play a song for me.”
“Play a song for you?”
“Yep, on your guitar, and sing too.”
“Nu-uh,” he objected.
“Please?”
“Nope.”
“But you said that you’d do anything,” I started to faintly tickle his tummy with the hand that was resting there. He got the hint and sat up, reaching for his guitar case and pulling out his acoustic.
“Fine,” he agreed, as I sat up in order to hear him, a mile clear on my face. “What do you want me to play?”
“Urm...Any song,” I replied.
“Give me an idea, I can’t choose. What kind of song?”
“Hmmm...” I thought. “I’m not sure...What’s the first song that you think of when you see me?”
“That’s easy,” he smiled. I was happy to know that a song came to mind when he saw me. I just wondered what it could be. “A certain one always comes to mind.” I was almost certain that his cheeks were changing shades once again.
“Well play that.”
“I’m not sure that you’d want to hear it.”
“Why? Is it something bad that comes to mind?” I worried.
“No! No. It’s not that at all. In fact, it’s the opposite,” he reassured me.
“Well then, I want to hear it even more. Pleeeaaasseee?”
“Okay then,” he confirmed as I cheered.
He began to play as I watched him intently. Soon his oh so melodious voice accompanied his sweet sounding acoustic.
“I’ve been jumping off the tops of buildings
For the thrill of the fall
Ignoring sound advice
And any thought of consequence
My bones are shattered
My pride lays shattered
And in the midst of this self-inflicted pain
I can see my beautiful rescue.

I’m falling more in love
With every single word I withhold
I’m falling more in love
With every single word you say
I’m falling head-over-heels for you.

I’ve been dancing on the tops of buildings
At the top of my lungs
I’m singing you a song
Don’t you leave me alone
My bones were shattered
My pride lays shattered
Well I’ll trample my pride
And tell the whole world
To dance with me

I’m falling more in love
With every single word I withhold
I’m falling more in love
With every single word you say
I’m falling head-over-heels for you again.

I’m crying out
“Wash my hands, these bloody hands Lord
Open my mouth and I’ll sing”

I’m falling more in love
With every single word I withhold
I’m falling more in love
With every single word you say
I’m falling head-over-heels for you
I’ve been dancing on the tops of buildings
With you.”

I just sat there in a dream. It must be a dream; no way could he be so perfect and amazing. But he was.
“Th-that was...” I was lost for words.
“Really terrible, I know,” he hung his head in embarrassment.
I reached for his hand resting on his guitar and placed my hand on his. I shivered at the swarm of butterflies that filled my stomach. He took hold of my hand, still looking down at his guitar.
“What are you talking about?” I asked him, moving closer, removing his guitar from his grasp and placing it next to him. I reached for his chin and lifted it up with my free hand, so that his eyes connected with mine. “It was amazing. Honestly, it was the most amazing thing that I have ever heard.” I moved his fringe from his eyes with my free hand, while his free hand was twirling my hair between his fingers.
“Really?” he asked.
“Really,” I confirmed, and I truly did mean it.
He smiled, seemingly shyer than usual. “I can teach you how to play it if you like.”
“That would be so cool!” I accepted his invitation.
“Come and sit here then,” he patted his legs that were crossed. Once again I made my way over and was pulled into his lap as he picked up his guitar and placed it in my arms. He reached over to show me the first chord. I tried to do what he showed me, but failed miserably. He laughed gently.
“Here, let me help.” With that he gently took hold of my hand and placed my fingers in the correct position very carefully. I strummed and it didn’t sound too bad. “You did it!” he laughed cutely as I cheered. He continued to place my fingers in the right positions and soon I could play it with little to no help at all.
“I have an idea,” I announced, proud of my new found guitar skills.
“And what might that be?” he asked from behind me, his breath softly tickling the back of my neck and sending shivers down my spine.
“I’ll play the song and you sing it.”
“Haha, okay then.” So there I sat in Casey’s lap playing his guitar as he sang sweetly behind me. This was the perfect movie moment that I had always been dreaming of. It was magical to say the least.
“I’m falling more in love
With every single word I withhold
I’m falling more in love
With every single word you say
I’m falling head-over-heels for you
I’ve been dancing on the tops of buildings
With you.”

“Woo! We did it!” I laughed as he struggled to hug me in congratulations as the guitar was in the way. He resolved this by removing the guitar from my grasp and putting it on the grass, before hugging me from behind.
“We sure did,” he agreed.
“You know, I still don’t understand why you think of that song when you see me. I can’t think of anyway which I could be related to it.”
“Sure you can, and you are,” he confirmed. “After all, you are my extremely beautiful rescue.” I was glad that he couldn’t see the reddening of my face caused by the words that he’d just whispered in my ear.
“Don’t be silly,” I laughed.
“I’m not, you really are.” I just froze; there was nothing but truth in his voice. He was so sweet.
His arms tightened from behind me as I snuggled closer into his embrace. Then he softly whispered into my ear. “Can I have your advice on something?”
“Sure,” I replied, more than willing to try and help him.
“Well there’s this girl...”
“Awehh, how comes you never said?” I asked hiding my true feelings for him and trying my best to be supportive, even though it broke my heart. Honestly, I knew that this day would come sooner or later; when he falls for a girl. But I always wished that that girl would be me, even though I knew that could and would never happen.
“I didn’t want to say anything, because I wasn’t ready to tell her. But I think I’m ready now.”
“So Casey, tell me about her.” I knew it was going to be hard for me to hear him say all of the things that he loves about her, that I’m not, but I just had to hear it.
“She’s really amazing...funny...cute...and the most beautiful girl that I have ever laid my eyes on. I think I love her; she’s everything that I’ve ever dreamed about. Actually I love her, yeah, I love her. Really, really love her.” I felt the tears welling up in my eyes with each word that he spoke. This was one lucky girl... I wished more than anything that I could be that girl. He let out a happy sigh. “So, what should I do?”
I pulled myself together as much as I could, before speaking and trying my hardest not to let him hear the sadness in my voice.
“You seem to really like her, so just tell her.”
“But what if she doesn’t feel the same way?”
“Why on earth wouldn’t she?” I replied, a tear spilling onto my cheek. I couldn’t wipe it away, or he would realise that something was up. I had to go, otherwise I was going to break down in front of him. “I’ve got to get back home. I’ll see you later.” I untangled myself from his grasp and tried to stand up, only to be pulled back down by Casey. I tried to hide my sniffle as another tear escaped.
“Hey, what’s up?” then he gasped. “Are you crying?”
“Nothing and no,” I sniffled, defeating my claims. “I just have to go.” And with that I managed to successfully untangle myself from his arms and I began to walk home, not looking back. It began to rain as I pulled up my hood and let my tears fall. I made it home and turned my key in the lock before stepping inside, kicking off my shoes and trudging my way to my room and upstairs into my bathroom. I undressed and got in the shower, letting the water drown my tears as I sobbed. I was in love and he was in love. But I was in love with him, whilst he was in love with someone else. He loved her, not me, I needed to understand that, but somehow I couldn’t. But I had to. After I had just about finished crying, I climbed out of the shower, wrapped a towel around me and went to my room to find some clothes. I went to my wardrobe and pulled on some jeans and a tee. I walked downstairs into the kitchen to see some flowers in a vase on the kitchen counter. I wouldn’t have given a second thought about them, until I realised that they were the flowers that Casey had got me. But how did they get here? I left them at the park in my rush to get home.
“Gabii, is that you honey?” my mom called walking into the kitchen and seeing me. “What’s wrong?”
“Nothing,” I lied.
“Are you sure? Because Casey came round and-“
“Casey came?” I asked.
“Yes, while you were in the shower. He said that you went really quickly and he was sure that you had been crying. He was really worried about you.” I just looked down at the ground, as I felt my mom walk closer to me. “Did you two have an argument?” she asked concerned. I shook my head no. “Are you sure?” I nodded my head. I began to sob again as she hugged me, stroking my hair comfortingly. “What is it? What’s wrong?”
“I-I l-love him,” I managed to get out.
“I know that honey,” she laughed.
“H-how’d you know?” I asked.
“Mothers instinct,” I couldn’t help but laugh a little. “So, what’s so bad about loving him?”
“He loves someone else.”
“And how do you know?”
“He said it today.”
“And who is this girl then?”
“He didn’t say. He asked me what he should do, because he was in love with this girl...and he didn’t know what to do about it.”
“Ahh,” she explained, but I could hear a second meaning to her tone. “Do you want to sit down and watch a movie?” she asked. “And I’ll go and get you some cookie dough ice-cream.” I nodded as she led me to the sofa. My mom put on Home Alone and brought me the tub of ice-cream and the spoon then left me to go and cook dinner.
About 10 minutes into the movie, I felt my mom sit down on the sofa next to me, but I just carried on watching the movie. Then she spoke, “You started the movie without me?” that’s when I realised. I turned to look at the body sitting next to me and saw that it was in fact Casey.
“W-What are you doing here?” I asked, before I could think of anything else to say.
“I came to see you. Your mom let me in.”
“Oh.”
“I can go if you want,” he seemed upset.
“No it’s okay,” I didn’t want him to leave me, especially now that he was here. “I know this is your favourite movie so I’m not going to make you leave.”
“That’s true,” he replied. “It is my favourite movie, and that is my favourite ice-cream.”
“Do you want some?” I asked referring to the ice-cream.
“You read my mind,” he giggled as I fed him some. “Yummy,” he ate it, with a childish smile on his face, causing me to smile. My heart melted once again at the sight of him and I forgot about what happened earlier. “Not only have I got my favourite movie, and favourite ice-cream, but I also have my favourite girl.” I was glad that it was quite dark, so I hoped that he couldn’t see my blush. I just sat there, eating from the tub of more ice-cream. “Awehhh, you didn’t read my mind this time.”
“You want more ice-cream?” I guessed. “Well yes, but I also wanted to hold you.”
“Hold me?” I laughed, he was acting weird.
“Yes, like this,” and with that he took the ice-cream from my hands and put it on a table nearby. Then he pulled me into his lap and stroked my cheek, his free arm wrapped around me. He leant in close to my ear and whispered, “This is holding you.” Then he gently kissed cheek near my ear. My heart went into overdrive as he pulled back and his eyes locked with mine. “If you haven’t realised, the girl that I’m in love with is you.” Before I could gasp, his lips caught mine in an unimaginably sweet kiss. That’s when I realised that it was in fact me, it had been all along. Everything made sense, even my mom knew. I was the girl that he was in love with. “I love you Gabii,” he whispered against my lips. “My beautiful rescue.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I originally wrote this as a request on quizilla, but I thought that I would post it here as well. It was written as a oneshot, but like in most of the oneshots I write, I have gone a little wild on the length. So I don't suppose that it's really a short story, but to me it is. The title credit goes to "This Providence"
I realy hope that you enjoy it!
With Love, Evangeline x