It's Like Rain on Your Wedding Day

1/1

I watched Rose stare out the window. She was smiling brightly for what’d come later.

“You’re so not ready. Stop standing around,” Linda commanded pulling her from the window and down on a seat.

Rose giggled. “Do you think it’ll rain before or after we’re in the car?” She asked as Linda did her hair in a complex bun.

“I don’t know,” Linda muttered. “Hold still, will ya? Alice is going to be taking pictures and I doubt you want to look like crap for them.”

“She doesn’t look like crap,” I argued. “She looks beautiful.”

Rose smiled at me. “Thank you,” She said. “Are you done yet?” She asked Linda.

“Almost…”

“I’m going to check on the groom,” I told them. They nodded and I left the room. I walked down the hall to the room the guys were in. I knocked on the door. “Everyone descent?” I asked.

The door opened to reveal Jared, the best man and Linda’s boyfriend. “Yes?” He asked.

“Let me in.”

“Why?”

“Linda sent me,” I lied.

“Oh. Okay.” He opened the door more. “What’s up?”

“Is Chase dressed and ready?” I asked walking in.

“Yea. How do I look?” I looked at Chase.

“Hm…” I fixed his bowtie and ran my fingers through his hair. “There. And, Jared, don’t say it looks wrong, cause a girl’s opinion matters more than a guys.”

Chase chuckled. “Thanks, doll.” He kissed my cheek. He, then, looked into space for a moment, thinking. “I sounded gay right then…”

“Yea, you did,” Jared agreed.

I shrugged. “I don’t care. Alright, you two stay. I’m going to get your vows…I think they’re in Linda’s car…”

Jared laughed. “Have fun finding them then.”

I flipped him off and left the room. I walked to the parking lot and went through all of Linda’s stuff when I got to her car. “Where the hell?” I grumbled. I sighed and continued searching the messy car. I jumped when I heard thunder. I sighed and flopped on the seat and massaged my temples. “Okay…It’s Linda…Where’s the safest place in this damn car?”

“That’d be in the drivers seat.” I jumped and looked at Chase, who had opened the drivers door sometime while I was searching the car.

“What are you doing out here?” I asked. He looked around before getting in the car and closing the door. “Chase?! What–”

He put his hand over my mouth and shushed me. “Rose can’t know,” He whispered. “I…I don’t love her.”

My eyes widened. “Wh–” He pressed his hand harder to my mouth, so I couldn’t shout. I smacked it away. “What the hell, Chase? If you don’t fucking love her, why are you marrying her?” I demanded.

“So I could stay close to the one I do love,” He answered.

“Who–” He cut me off by pressing his lips to mine. He pulled away and looked at me.

“I love you, Violet. Not Rose.”

“But…Why?” Those were the only words I could form in my shock.

He smiled. “Why wouldn’t I?”” He tilted my chin up slightly and leaned in slower this time, so I could stop him if I wanted to. But I didn’t.

I closed the distance between our lips.

He pulled me as close as he could in Linda’s packed car and wrapped his arms around my waist, while I wrapped mine around his neck.

We pulled away and he kissed my forehead. Out of all the kisses he and Rose have shared and I’ve seen, he’s never done that with her.

“I love you.”

I swallowed the lump in my throat. “I’ve loved you for a while, Chase. Ever since that day we hung out cause Rose was sick…”

He smiled. “And you didn’t tell me?”

I shook my head. “Rose is my sister. Even if we had gotten together, she’d try and make my life miserable.”

He smiled. “Come on.” He hopped out of the car and came to my side. He opened my door and pulled me out. “Come on.” He dragged me to Jared’s car. He opened the passenger door and kissed me again before running over to the drivers side.

I smiled and reached one leg in the car before feeling something wet hit me. I looked up at the sky to see a few raindrops fall. I grinned and looked at the building. Rose was at the window again. She was looking at me, with hurt in her eyes.

I got in the car and closed the door. I leaned over the middle and kissed Chase. “Let’s go.”

He smiled and kissed me again. He started the car and drove us away from there.

We were in love.

And Rose couldn’t stop that.