Status: Complete!

How to Date Alexis Brighten

Trouble

The sound of Lacey’s sharp laughter filled the empty hallways as we exited the lunch room. She linked her arm with mine, as did Melody on my other side. We walked in unison, our high-heels echoing against the linoleum.

“That was brilliant, Alexis!” Lacey exclaimed, tightening her grip on my arm. I forced a smile, but felt my stomach twist in guilt. How would Fletcher feel when he returned to the table and we were gone? I could just imagine the wide smile on his face disappearing, his face falling in disappointment.

“I feel kind of bad for him,” Melody said, echoing my thoughts.

“Lighten up, Mel! He’s obviously a loser,” Lacey said. I rolled my eyes.

Lacey pulled me along to the front lawns to meet up with Amelia. When we approached the table, the exchange student turned to look at Melody. Amelia’s eyebrows knit together in a frown as she followed his gaze.

“Hey Mia,” Lacey said with a smile. Amelia rolled her eyes and waved. She tapped the exchange student on the shoulder and he turned his attention back to her.

“As I was saying, William, I think we should hang out sometime,” Amelia said, leaning towards him to offer him a view of her chest. I rolled my eyes and sighed heavily at her antics.

“Maybe,” William shrugged. “Aren’t you going to introduce me to your friends?”

Amelia rolled her eyes and put her hand on her hip.

“That’s Melody, Alexis and Lacey,” she said, pointing to us in turn.

“Nice to meet you,” he said, staring straight at Melody. Amelia glared at Melody, her eyes full of jealousy.

“Uh, we have to go,” I said quickly, sensing the fight that would no doubt start if I didn’t get Melody out of there.

“I’m staying,” Lacey said, sitting down on the table next to William. Amelia scowled at her and I tugged on Melody’s arm.

“See you later,” I called out to them over my shoulder as I pulled Melody away.

“Why’d you do that?” Melody asked, shaking free of me as soon as we were out of ear-shot.

“Didn’t you see the look Amelia was giving you?” I asked her.

“I didn’t care. William told me that he doesn’t even like her,” Melody said.

“But you know how she is,” I warned her.

“I don’t care. William likes me,” Melody said stubbornly.

“Amelia is possessive,” I warned her. “She’s just like Lacey.”

“I don’t care. Who are you to tell me what to do, anyway?” Melody protested with a frown. I flinched at her words. Usually, she was so sweet.

“I was just trying to help,” I insisted.

“Well, don’t, Alexis. Just don’t,” she said before storming off.

I stood in the middle of the front lawns on my own, completely confused. What had just happened? Of the three girls, I thought that Melody was the nicest. I thought she was my friend. I was only trying to help her. The bell rang and I walked to English in my confused state.

When I entered the classroom, Lacey was seated in the back, and she waved me over to her. I took my seat beside her and pulled out my copy of Hamlet. Mr. Smart started a discussion about Hamlet’s character and expected everyone to join in. Everybody got pretty fired up, as they usually did in Mr. Smart’s class during a discussion, and before long, people were yelling across the room, trying to force their ideas upon others.

Lacey and I were completely oblivious to what was going on. Lacey was talking to me animatedly about Amelia and William. I was only half-listening and didn’t offer much to the conversation, but Lacey continued, undeterred.

“Alexis Brighten! Are you paying attention?” Mr. Smart suddenly boomed across the room.

The class suddenly fell silent and everyone turned in their seats to stare at me. I looked to Lacey for help, but she’d fallen silent beside me. I looked back at Mr. Smart.

“Of course, Sir,” I said, looking down at my desk nervously.

“What were we just talking about?” Mr. Smart asked impatiently.

“Uh, Hamlet?” I offered lamely.

“Get out,” he said, shaking his head.

“Excuse me?”

“Get out!” he yelled, pointing at the door. I frowned as I gathered my things and walked towards the door.

“Unless you want to join her, I suggest you pay attention!” the teacher snapped, calling the class back to attention. I sighed and crashed through the door. It slammed behind me. I walked up the hall a little before slumping against the lockers. I slid down them onto the floor and dumped my bag at my feet.

What had I done? I didn’t think I deserved to be sent out. The teacher was being unreasonable, not to mention unfair. I sighed and banged my head against the lockers in frustration. I’d never got into trouble in class. What was happening to me?

A loud crash further up the hallway snapped me out of my reverie, and I turned my head lazily to see what was happening. Fletcher Murray stumbled out of a classroom door, papers flying around behind him. I rolled my eyes. It seemed wherever chaos was, Fletcher wasn’t far behind.

He looked up the hallway and spotted me sitting there. A frown appeared on his face and he walked slowly towards me, his hands shoved in his pockets. When he reached me, he stood at my feet and stared down at me, the frown still set in his features. I gazed up at him, helpless. I had no excuse for my behaviour in the lunch room. I’d had no reason whatsoever for hurting him.

But why should he be so offended? He should have known I was like this. I was Alexis Brighten. That’s what I did. That’s what people expected of me.

I hurt people and I didn’t care.

Yeah, right.

“What are you out here for?” Fletcher asked, breaking the tense silence between us.

“I really don’t know. My English teacher just sort of snapped,” I said with a sigh. Fletcher shrugged and sat down next to me, leaning heavily against the lockers. He turned his head to the side to look at me, his cheek resting against the lockers. I did the same, staring into his brown eyes.

“I’m sorry,” I said after a while.

He looked away from me suddenly and played with the hem of his shirt.

“Alexis Brighten said sorry. Wow,” he mused, concentrating on the loose thread on his shirt.

“You should have expected it,” I commented. “You know who I am.”

“No, I don’t. I don’t think anybody does,” he said, looking back at me.

“What do you mean by that?” I asked him, confused.

“When I saw you the other night at the show, you were different. You’re not as bad as everyone says. I know there’s something else, and I’ll keep looking until I find it,” he said with a weak smile.

“You’re only setting yourself up for disappointment,” I sighed, looking down at my hands.

“I’m sure I’ll handle it,” he said. I glanced up at him to see that the goofy smile was present on his features. His brown eyes held a spark of hope.

“Why do you care so much?” I asked him.

“I like a good challenge,” he said with a wink. “I love a bit of danger.”

“So, you think I’m dangerous?” I replied, raising an eyebrow.

“You’ve got potential,” he said with a wink, the smile spreading further across his face. I laughed shortly.

“So, what’s your latest crime?” I asked him, changing the subject.

“The latest? Gosh! You make me sound like a criminal!” He said theatrically, holding a hand to his heart. I laughed and punched him in the arm lightly.

“Talking back to a teacher,” he said. “Apparently I was rude. Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer, I say.”

“Fair enough,” I said with a laugh.

“You know you’re not forgiven yet,” Fletcher said after a moment.

“I’m not?”

“No. In fact, I think you should make it up to me,” he said, raising his eyebrows.

“What would you suggest?” I asked him, playing along.

“Go out with me,” he said seriously, his eyes searching my face for an answer.

“I don’t think that would be a good idea,” I said hesitantly, thinking back to what Melody had said about Fletcher. She’d warned me to stay away from him; the boy was trouble. He was obviously hiding something. His behaviour at Isaac’s school had been so weird, and he’d been so insistent that he wasn’t a student there. I still didn’t believe his story, and something about him just didn’t feel right. Something was off.

“C’mon. Just as friends? What are you doing this afternoon?” Fletcher’s voice was full of hope and I didn’t want to turn him down, not after what I’d done to him earlier.

“I have to go to the Mall this afternoon,” I told him.

“Then I’ll tag along,” he replied.

“I thought boys hated shopping,” I argued.

“Will you be there?”

“Duh,” I said, rolling my eyes.

“Then I’ll be there,” he said, the now-familiar goofy smile spreading across his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you soooo much for all the lovely comments and congratulations to MarmaladeK.Gnome for writing the 100th comment! Keep 'em coming! You guys have no idea how much it means to me! :)
SEE YOU WEDNESDAY FOR THE NEXT UPDATE! :)
Follow me on twitter @Becca_Arrington