Status: Complete!

How to Date Alexis Brighten

Hero

Suddenly, Fletcher was gone. In a blur, a large man crashed into him, sending them both sliding across the ground. Fletcher cried out in pain as the man picked him up and slammed him against a wall.

“Where’s my money, Murray?” The man said loudly, holding onto Fletcher tightly. Fletcher looked over in my direction and mouthed ‘run.’ It was too late. The man had seen. His head snapped around in my direction quickly, and his eyes fell on me. He looked me up and down before turning back to Fletcher.

“Who’s the girl?” I didn’t like the tone of his voice. It suggested something almost sinister and I knew from one glance at him that he was dangerous. He was tall and muscular and had short, black hair. His face was unshaven and bruised. This man looked like someone you shouldn’t mess with.

“No one. Leave her alone,” Fletcher said, his eyes widening. I stayed glued to the spot. I didn’t know what to do. I was frozen in place, held there by what, I didn’t know. I should have listened to Melody and Daniel. They had both warned me that Fletcher was trouble. Daniel had told me to stay away from him, and I hadn’t.

“Hand over the money, Murray, or things could get ugly,” the man warned.

“Looks like they already have!” Fletcher shot back at him. “Tell me, have you looked in the mirror today?”

The man didn’t appreciate Fletcher’s comment. Before I could even blink, he had hit Fletcher square in the jaw, causing him to crumple to the ground. He slid down the wall and held his face in his hands. Blood flowed out of his nose. I couldn’t just stand there and let it happen. But what I did next certainly wasn’t the best idea.

“Stop!” I called out, running to Fletcher’s aid. “You’re hurting him!”

The black-haired man smiled slowly and stepped back from Fletcher, kicking him in the side. Fletcher cried out in pain and grabbed at his stomach. I knelt at his side and held onto his arm.

“You look like a nice girl,” the black-haired man said in a low tone. “I bet I could show you a good time.”

“Just leave!” I screamed at him. I was surprised that the scene unfolding hadn’t drawn the attention of anybody else in the mall. It was then that I realised that the mall was deserted, closing time approaching. I swallowed nervously as the reality of the situation set in. I was alone in a mall with a man who was obviously dangerous. Fletcher was injured and unable to defend me.

I was on my own.

The black-haired man’s face twisted into a frown. His eyes bored into mine with a startling intensity and my stomach twisted with fear. I stood up slowly, positioning myself in front of Fletcher. The man stood directly in front of me, staring me down.

“You really shouldn’t have said that,” he said slowly, anger flashing across his face. He suddenly grabbed my wrist and dragged me away from Fletcher. His walked at a fast pace and his grip was vice-tight. I struggled to shake free of him, but he was much too strong. Fletcher called out after me, but it was too late. There was nobody to save me now.

The man dragged me out of the mall to the parking lot, where he fumbled around in his pocket for his keys with one hand. I saw the open opportunity. This was my chance to get away while he was distracted. I didn’t have time to make any elaborate plans. In one swift motion, I kicked the man in between the legs from behind. He released his grip on me immediately as he fell to the ground in pain.

“You bitch!” He yelled, staggering as he tried to stand up.

I turned on my heel and ran back into the mall to get Fletcher. When I reached the spot where I’d left him, he’d disappeared. I looked out of the floor-to-ceiling windows that lined the entrance of the mall to see his black motorcycle speeding off. The man came crashing through the entrance to the mall and saw me standing there alone.

Why had Fletcher just left me there? He must have seen the man come after me. Was he that heartless? He left me when I needed him the most. He'd run away. This hurt me more than anything else could. I felt used and worthless. Was this Fletcher's revenge for my behavious at school? If it was, he was sick. I bit down on my lip to keep myself from screaming out in anger.

I turned to run for the nearest store, but saw with dismay that it was closed. I glanced at my watch and almost burst into tears when the reality of the situation set in. It was closing time, there was no one around, and I was completely helpless.

I ran for the back entrance, praying to God that the doors hadn’t been locked yet.

“Come back here!” The man’s gravelly voice echoed throughout the deserted mall. The adrenalin set in as panic overtook me, and my pace quickened. I crashed through the back doors into the empty parking lot beyond.

Fletcher had left me there defenceless, and I had no way of getting away in a hurry without a car. It looked as though there was no hope. A car drove by and slowed, turning into the lot. I ran for the dumpsters, ducking behind them for fear that the person in the car was an associate of the black-haired man. My breathing was heavy and my accelerated heartbeat echoed in my ears. My head was pounding and my legs ached from running.

I heard the car’s engine stop and the door open and close. My breath caught in my throat as I heard footsteps approach.

“Alexis?” The voice was hesitant, soft, and gentle. I realised with a start who it belonged to.

Daniel.

“Daniel?” I called out, confused.

“It’s me,” he replied.

I slowly ventured out from behind the dumpsters to see Daniel standing there casually, his hands in his pockets, the smirk playing on his lips.

“Looking for tonight’s meal?” He said sarcastically, eyeing the dumpsters.

I was too shaken up to think of something witty to say to him. Too terrified to relax in his presence. I stood rigidly, my arms folded tightly across my chest. Daniel’s smirk disappeared as he looked at my face.

“Hey, what happened?” He said, worry crossing his features.

As if by way of explanation, the black-haired man suddenly crashed through the back doors of the mall.

“Hey!” He hollered, striding towards Daniel and I.

“He tried to kidnap me,” I said, my voice shaking. I hated Daniel seeing me this vulnerable.

Daniel’s eyes widened and he positioned himself in front of me, his body shielding mine.
The man was undeterred by Daniel’s presence. If anything, he quickened his pace, anticipating the fight I was terrified would happen.

“Stay away,” Daniel warned him. The man laughed and continued towards Daniel.

“Don’t tell me what to do, mate,” He said, stopping in front of Daniel. He towered over him, at least a foot taller. Daniel didn’t seem phased by this at all, and squared his shoulders.

“I believe you have something that belongs to me,” the man said, his eyes falling on me. My breath caught in my throat and I moved backwards a few steps, desperately wanting to get some distance between myself and my attacker.

“She doesn’t belong to you,” Daniel said. His voice sounded completely different than his normal self. It was low and threatening; it scared me how dangerous it sounded.

The man lifted his fist to hit Daniel, but Daniel had stopped it before the black-haired man could make contact. He held the man’s wrist in his hand and he pushed him away. The man staggered backwards before regaining his composure and trying again. The man had the size advantage, but Daniel was fast. He stopped the man’s punches and dodged his kicks. Daniel caught the man in a headlock and the man fell to the ground, unconscious.

“Pressure point,” Daniel said with a shrug, turning to me. “He’ll be all right.”

I stood and stared at Daniel. I couldn’t believe what he’d just done. Had he just got himself into a fight defending me? Had he saved my life single-handedly for the second time? This was getting beyond ridiculous. How did Daniel know where to find me when I needed him the most?

“Let me take you home,” Daniel said, striding over to me. I nodded as he took my hand, leading me to his car. He opened the door for me and helped me into the passenger’s seat, fastening my seat belt for me. I felt so numb. I stared straight ahead and was oblivious to what was happening. I guessed that I was in shock.

Daniel got in the driver’s seat and started the engine, quickly taking off from the mall. He drove for a while in silence, before he pulled over at the side of the road and killed the engine. I turned my face to look at him, and noticed that he was staring straight back at me, his brilliant turquoise eyes burning holes in my forehead.

“Why was that guy after you?” Daniel asked me after a moment.

“He said he could show me a good time,” I replied, looking down at my feet. I felt the tears welling up but blinked them back. I would not cry in front of Daniel Harper.

“Guys like that make me sick,” Daniel spat, banging his hands against the steering wheel. “I wish I could’ve found you sooner.”

“You were looking for me?”

“Somebody told me that they saw you with that Fletcher kid. I wanted to make sure you weren’t with him. I told you he was trouble,” Daniel said.

“I was with him,” I admitted in a small voice. For some stupid reason, I didn’t want Daniel to think any less of me. What was I doing? I didn’t even like Daniel. Did I?

“Alexis! I told you to stay away from him! Do you ever do what you’re told?” Daniel said angrily, his voice filling the small car.

“You’re not my father!” I screamed back at him. “Just leave me alone!”

“Hey, I saved your life!” Daniel yelled back at me. “Don’t I get a thank you?”

“I don’t need you, okay Daniel? You can go and play hero with somebody else!” I shot back at him, getting out of the car and slamming the door behind me.

I started walking down the road in the general direction of my house. If my rough calculations were right, it’d take me just over an hour to walk there. At least we were on the right side of town.

“Alexis! Wait!” Daniel called out, running to catch up with me. He grabbed my wrist, forcing me to turn and face him. My wrist burned as we made contact, my stomach erupting in butterflies at his touch. I quickly flinched away from him, bringing my arms to my chest.

“I’m sorry, okay?” He said, his eyes searching mine.

I turned and walked away from him, tears stinging my eyes.

Daniel Harper was getting to me, and I hated myself for it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Surprise Update! Love me <3
I'm updating a day early as I'll be away from home tomorrow.
Thanks so much for all the comments after the last chapter - although half of you want to kill me for leaving you hanging like that ahaha :)
Special thanks to im fluent in sarcasm and worldclass for the lovely long comments!
If you're observant, you may have noticed another story on my page called 'How To Date Alex Gaskarth'. It is in no way connected to this story, and the similar title is merely a coincidence. If you like All Time Low, I suggest you read it. It's a group story where the readers control the plot! Give it a go :)
Back to ALEXIS. What did you think of this chapter? Is that was you expected to happen?
Let me know your thoughts in the comments! :)
Ace has been added to the character's page and will be appearing again in the story later for those who wanted to know :)
On another note, follow me on twitter for hints about the story and other random stuff. If you have any questions about the story, feel free to tweet me! haha that sounds weird...
See you Wednesday, lovelies! ;)