Past Mistakes

Rewrite This Tale

Walking down the side of the street, Miranda kept her brown eyes glued to the map in her hands. Occasionally, her eyes will glance up, shooting from sign to sign in hopes to find the right street. But she had been roaming around for an hour now, getting to know the city of Baltimore and trying to find the building of where her internship is offered. She had just made the move to Maryland a few days ago.

Miranda sighed, stopping in her tracks as her arms fell limply by her sides. She has an hour left to get to the Baltimore Sun, and being her first day on the job, she figured it’d be best to get there early – in case she gets lost, like she is now.

As a last resort, she decided that it’s best to just ask someone who might be kind enough to even point her in the right direction. Looking around, everyone either seems busy, in a rush, or in a middle of an important phone call. But she spotted a lonely guy sitting on a bench in front of a store, his fingers moving around on the keyboard of his cell phone. She approached him, clearing her throat.

“Excuse me.” She stood in front of him with her folded up map held to her chest. “I was wondering if you can spare a few seconds and help me?” she asked hopefully, her eyes scanning over his green ones as he finally looked up at her.

His eyes looked over her, quickly noticing the map in her hand. He quickly figured that she must be a tourist, and he nodded with a shrug. “Sure. What is it?” He stuck his phone back in the pocket of his leather jacket, keeping his hands there.

“Uhm, do you know where the Baltimore Sun is?” Quickly, she dug out the small sheet of paper she had written the address on, handing it over to him. He took it, raising his eyebrow as he reads over the scribble. They weren’t far from the place, but it’s not an easy walk either.

He sighed to himself before standing up. “Yeah, but it’s sort of hard to find if I just show you from here. I’ll walk with you,” he offered, deciding to be nice. He has nothing better to do, especially since he was only sitting there texting. He started down the street in one direction, causing her to run slightly to catch up to him. “So what do you need to visit the Sun for?” All he knows is that it’s a newspaper business, and he doesn’t know what reason a tourist would have visiting there.

“Oh, I got an internship there,” she told him with a bright smile. It’s just something that she’s proud and excited about that she wanted to share with him. And if he’s showing her the way there, there’s no harm in her trying to start a conversation.

His eyebrows raised in surprise. “Really?” He looked over at her, smiling sweetly. “Congratulations on that. So you want to be a journalist?” he asked and she nodded. “Did you just come here?” He nodded at the map still in her hand before crossing the street.

She nodded again, moving her legs fast to keep up with his longer legs. “Yeah, just a few days ago actually so I don’t really know my way around yet.”

He nodded. “Well, welcome to Baltimore and I hope if treats you well.” He smiled again before they fell back into a silence. He wasn’t too focused on it, as he didn’t feel the need to always speak. He kept his hands within his pocket, his eyes scanning the streets and his mind wandering off onto other subjects. After all, he’s only here to help her find her way.

Miranda followed after him, struggling to keep up while her eyes insisted on darting from building to building, reading store names and checking out what was in the display windows. She looked back over at him, wanting to just talk and ask questions, but she kept quiet for now. He didn’t seem interested in conversation – or even seem to notice that someone’s walking beside him, as he maneuvered effortlessly through the streets. She’ll just have to take all the help she can get in this unfamiliar city.

After about ten minutes of walking, he rounded a corner and finally spoke up. “It should be somewhere down this street.” He nodded at the long outstretched sidewalk before them, tall buildings on either side of the street.

She smiled happily, nodding. “Thank you so much for helping me. I don’t know how late I’d be right now if no one had helped me – on the first day too.” She chuckled softly.

He smiled, shrugging. “I would be a jerk if I just sat there doing nothing and sent you away. I might as well get a good deed done.” It’s better her than spending his time glued to a bench, texting someone who was stressing out over what they should do for the rest of the day.

“Well, congratulations. You’re officially the first nice person I’ve met here.” She smiled before extending her hand to him. “I’m Miranda,” she finally introduced herself as they reached the front of the building.

He shook her hand, nodding. “Zack,” he said before looking up at the tall building. “Good luck up there.”

“Thanks.” She smiled shyly and watched as he walked away before she turned back to the door, feeling slightly disappointed. She was disappointed that even being the first nice person she came in contact with, they didn’t talk much, not at all. She was hoping that she’d see him again though, even if it is to thank him one more time for his kindness.

.

A sigh of relief left Miranda’s lips as she pushed the Starbucks door open and the smell of coffee instantly met her nose. She smiled once she got in line, her eyes scanning over the menu overhead. It had been a long, tiring day at work – all the stress of first day introductions and learning weighing down on her. It was everything she had expected and yet, it felt like she was thrown into it all at once. It was worth it though, and there’s no better way of ending her day better than a visit to a coffee shop.

After ordering her coffee, her eyes scanned the room for any available seats before a familiar figure caught her eye. He was still in the same outfit as before, a hat adorning his head, a cup of coffee in his hands, and a camera sitting on the empty table in front of him. With a smile, she approached him, since all of the other tables are taken.

“Zack?” she called cautiously, slowly going over to his table with her hands stuffed inside her jacket pockets. Once he looked up and gave her a warm smile, she smiled back. “Mind if I sit with you?” She pointed to the empty seat across from him.

“Oh yeah, go ahead.” He smiled, taking a sip from his cup. He was surprised to find her here. “How did it go?” he asked as she pulled the chair out and sat down.

Great.” She grinned. “You know, I really should thank you again—“ she started, only to have him interrupt with a shake of his head.

“Don’t worry about that. I’m glad I did.”

She smiled and played with her sleeves, her elbows on the table. She looked over at the camera sitting in between them. “You take pictures?” she asked, trying to move onto a different subject, and he nodded. Her smile grew bigger. “I do too. I have a similar camera back at my place.”

Just then, the barista called her name and she left him momentarily. When she finally returned, they fell back into silence, the same one as before when he was walking with her down the street. He’s staring out the window this time, idly sipping on his coffee. His green eyes followed along with the cars outside and the people that passed by their window. He seems at ease, almost as if nothing is flowing through his brain – no thoughts, no troubles, nothing.

She tilted her head as she observed him. “You don’t talk much, do you,” she stated rather than ask. Even in the presence of company, he doesn’t seem bothered at the slightest bit with the obligation to make small talk.

He finally looked back at her, a slight shocked expression on his face. “Oh, no- I’m sorry,” he said quickly with a slight stutter. He didn’t want her to get the wrong idea of him – that he was rude or stuck up or anything.

She shook her head with a soft chuckle. “It’s okay. It’s just, I’d like to talk a little more. Maybe we can be friends,” she suggested. Just maybe. His quiet, closed-off façade has gotten her curious and interested.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let's see if I can keep up with updating this for the next two days.
What do you guys think so far? Only two more chapters left.
And thank you to those who commented before.