Status: Completed

Sticks & Spirals

Pancakes

It took about an hour for the police to conduct their investigation on what happened and for the injured to get patched up. It was well past midnight by the time everything was cleared up, and Daniel had long since disappeared.
I sighed and stood as Andrew pulled himself to his feet by using crutches. Seabrook left my side to go call Coach to inform him that four of his players will not be at practice tomorrow.
I glanced at Steeger had he pulled his shirt over his head, cringing in pain. I noticed the tattoo on the back of his neck, just below that ball-like bone. It was a maple leaf. I’d have to ask him about that later on.
“Come on,” Andrew said, talking to everyone around us. Most of the guys left for home already.
I took the keys and tossed them to Rhyne. She’s the only one who can drive. The rest of us have a little bit too much alcohol in our veins.
She made her way to Andrew’s car while the rest of us followed silently. Andrew took the passenger’s seat, and Seabrook, Steeger and I had to squish in the back. Looks like we were all stayed at my cousin’s place for the night since none of them can drive.
I glanced at Rhyne through the mirror as she drove. A bruise was forming along her nose, matching the bruise under her eye. Poor girl.
“I saw Daniel,” I piped up in the silent car, and four bodies suddenly became very tense. Apparently Steeger told Rhyne about that assmunch.
“Where?” Andrew asked, turning in his seat to look at me.
“While I was getting checked over,” I replied as if it was nothing.
“Vanna Ladd, don’t play stupid with me,” my cousin growled, causing me to blink. “You know it’s dangerous for him to find you. Did he see you?”
I hesitated. “Yes.”
Steeger sighed next to me, and Seabrook stayed strangely quiet while my cousin started going off into a hysterical lecture. I slumped into my seat as if it would help hide me from him.
“Stop yelling at her,” the mystery man said while looking out the window. Andrew actually shut up and looked at his teammate. Seabrook met his gaze. “It’s not her fault the man followed her from B.C. She didn’t ask for this.”
Wow. He’s defending me? Hell just froze over again. Twice.
Andrew opened his mouth to say something, but then shut it. I didn’t look at the man next to me. Mainly because I was afraid of what I’d see. I didn’t know what to think...
But luckily we pulled into the apartment garage before I had to open my mouth. We all piled out of the car, with a lot of pushing against Steeger. He’s had bruised ribs before, but this was insane. It must be the sprained rib that’s bugging him.
Rhyne and Kris walked solemnly next to each other, and I noticed he was putting some of his weight on her. I helped Andrew so he didn’t fall flat on his face. He isn’t the most coordinated on crutches. Believe me.
Seabs had the keys and walked in front of us.
We slowly made our way to the apartment, and I collapsed on the couch. My head was throbbing, my knee was throbbing, and I really didn’t want to move.
“Seab’s will be sleeping there, V. You’re with me. Rhyne’s taking your bed, Steeger the floor.”
I moaned and sat up. “Fine,” I mumbled.
I made my way to the bathroom and shed my clothes in favor for my pj shorts and tank top. I popped my pain pills into my mouth and swallowed before collapsing into Andrew’s bed. I was already practically asleep by the time my cousin slid in next to me.
Kris’ PoV:
“You ok with the floor?” Laddy asked before heading to his own bed.
“Yeah, I’ll be fine,” I said with a grunt as I lowered myself to the ground. My ribs felt like they were on fire.
Andrew tossed some blankets on me, as well as a pillow. “Ok. Seabs is already asleep but wake him up if you need anything. He knows this apartment like the back of his hand. Don’t try to wake V up. She’ll be dead until noon.”
I chuckled just as Rhyne walked in wearing some of Vanna’s pajamas. The pants were much too long for her, but both girls are skinny, so they fit. “Ok. Night Ladd.”
“Goodnight Versteeg. Vanna’s painkillers are in the bathroom if you need them.”
“Thanks.”
“Yup. Goodnight Rhyne.”
“Night,” she replied in her quiet voice.
Laddy boy left and Rhyne turned out the lights. I could hear her shuffling around in Vanna’s bed. I didn’t want to leave her alone, which is why I chose the floor.
I was almost asleep when she spoke. “Kris?”
I actually didn’t hear her the first time. Her voice was just so quiet.
“Kris?”
“Mmm?” I replied, yawning.
“I”m sorry.”
I sat up, wincing at the pain in my ribs and looked in her direction. I could see her outline from the moonlight shining through the window. “For what?”
“It’s my fault you got hurt.”
My brows furrowed. “It is not, Ry. I was being stupid and couldn’t just let him go by. I’m sorry he hurt you too.”
“I’m ok.”
“No, you’re not,” I replied. I heard her sniffle and stood up slowly before sitting on the bed next to her. She rolled over to face me, and I wiped the tears from her pretty, shining eyes. “He hurt you, and it’s my fault. I’m sorry.”
She nodded. “C...Can...” She slumped lower into the covers, the blanket resting up to her nose.
“What is it, Ry?” I asked gently. She looked so scared... so hurt.
“Can you stay with me?”
I had to bend over to hear her, but when I realized what she said, my heart swelled up. She was afraid to be alone, and it’s my fault. “Of course,” I said softly.
She moved over in Vanna’s bed, and I very slowly got in next to her. I have to admit, the bed feels a lot better than the floor when it comes to my ribs.
I pulled the covers over me, and Rhyne slowly scootched over to me. I put one arm over her and she snuggled into me, sniffing. “It’s ok. You’re ok now,” I whispered to her. I stroked her hair until she fell asleep, and evidently, me as well.

Vanna’s PoV:
I woke up to the smell of pancakes, and I rolled out of bed with a groan. My knee hurt like hell, so I sent a text to my coach telling her that I wouldn’t be able to make it today. She’d understand. She always does.
I exited my cousin’s bedroom, looking back at his sleeping form. I’m surprised I actually slept through his snoring. I usually don’t.
But he isn’t the one making breakfast.
I left the bedroom and glanced in my own room on my way, and I saw Steeger and Rhyne cuddled into each other. A smile crept onto my face as I realized how protectively he was holding onto her. Even in his sleep.
The boy seriously needs to just ask her out already.
But they’re still asleep. So that just leaves...
“Brent Seabrook,” I mumbled groggily as I entered the kitchen.
Tall, dark, and handsome turned around, pan in hand with batter on his cheek. He looked so cute... “Good morning,” he said in a somewhat cheerful tone. This boy loves to shock me. One day we’re at each other’s throats, the next he’s being sweet and caring. Mixed messages on whether he likes me or not much?
“Morning.” I hopped up on the counter and rested my head back against the cupboard.
“It’s before noon.”
“Way to state the obvious, Seabs,” I said, giving him a weird look.
But for once, he just laughed. Dear lord, his laugh is like music to my ears...
“I know. Your cousin said you wouldn’t be up before noon. And it’s before noon. Do you always prove him wrong? Even subconsciously?”
“Pretty much,” I said, returning his grin before he turned back to focus on the pancakes.
“How’re you feeling?”
“Like shit.”
He chuckled. “Figured.”
I stared at the back of his gorgeous brown head. “Why are you being so nice to me?” I decided to ask. “You hate me, then you like me, then you hate me, and now you like me again. You’re confusing Mr. Seabrook.”
Seabs turned around slowly and stared at me, our hazel eyes locking. “I never hate you, Vanna,” he said seriously. “You just drive me insane. Sometimes I find it hard to get along with you because you’re so hardheaded and so stubborn. You have a superiority complex.”
“I do not!” I yelled, but even as I said it, I knew he was right. And he just raised his eyebrows at me. “Ok, I do,” I grumbled.
“It’s nothing to be mad about. You just need to learn that sometimes you end up hurting other people in the process.”
I hung my head. “I’m sorry.”
“It’s ok. I like to get along with you while I can. Before we get into it again.”
“Ok.”
Brent Seabrook smiled at me. “So, what do you like on your pancakes?”
I let a smile creep on my face as I watched him while I got out the strawberries from the fridge. I’ll admit, I do agree with him. I like it when we get along, and I wish I could stop fighting with him. But for some reason, I just can’t control my mouth around him.
I want to be friends... and...
Vanna, shut up! Stop thinking about him like that. Sure he’s cute... but still...
I sighed, getting Seabs to look at me. “Sorry,” I muttered.
“Listen, I know you don’t want to talk about him, but if something happens with Daniel somehow, don’t hesitate to call me.” I looked at him in surprise. “We don’t get along all the time, but I’d never want to see you hurt.”
I smiled. “Thank you.”
He smiled back. “Ok, let’s get these pancakes ready for the sleepyheads.”