Status: Completed

Sticks & Spirals

Shocked

I woke up slowly with a kink in my neck, not knowing where I was. I didn’t open my eyes, but I shifted my weight slightly, and I realized that my arm was up over something.
Probably a pillow, I told myself.
I tried to roll over, but I was up against something.
And that something made a noise.
I opened my eyes and stared into the sleeping face of Brent Seabrook, and all of my memories of last night came crashing into me, along with all the pain in my body. I moaned lightly, removing my arm from around Brent’s neck, and those tiny movements awoke him.
“Vanna?” he asked softly, rubbing the sleep from his pretty hazel eyes.
“You stayed with me,” I whispered softly, not entirely believing it. “You let me sleep in your lap? Aren’t you sore?”
A very gentle smile slid across his lips. “A little, but you’re more important. I figured you’d be more comfortable if I just left you as you were. Plus, I was afraid you’d flip out if you woke up in my guest room since you wouldn’t know where you were.”
I nodded and looked away. “Thank you.”
Brent’s weight shifted and I slowly tossed my legs off his lap so I was sitting up, my back to him. His fingers lightly pulled back my blonde hair just before I stood up... only to fall back down. However, Mr. Seabrook caught me gently. “Easy. We still need to get you to a doctor and dentist today. What time is it?”
I read the clock. “6:30.” We were only asleep for a few hours.
“Your cousin will be here in an hour or so then,” he replied, sitting me on the couch next to him. He stood and walked to the kitchen nearby. “What would you like for breakfast? And don’t tell me you won’t want anything. You need to eat.”
I smiled lightly to myself, trying to ignore all the pain in my body. I realized just then that he hasn’t asked me what happened yet. “Brent?” I asked cautiously.
“Hmm?” he replied over the clanging of pots and pans.
“You haven’t asked me about what happened.”
Brent’s face appeared from the kitchen, his eyes gentle. I haven’t seen him so kind in a while. Not since the bar incident. I’m starting to think he’s bipolar. “I haven’t asked cause Laddy-boy will be asking. And I don’t want to put you through the pain of having to repeat it twice.”
I nodded and looked down at my toes peaking out from his long sweatpants. “Thank you.”
He smiled and disappeared back into the kitchen, and I knew I made the right decision in calling him last night.
I licked my lips, feeling the scabs and tasting the dried up blood. I crinkled my nose and shivered, reaching for the blanket that was folded up on the chair across from the couch. I glanced out the winter over the Chicago skyline and watched as a gentle sheet of snow fell from the sky.
Brent reappeared again with a plate filled with warm pancakes and bacon. He waited until I became comfortable on the couch and placed the plate in my lap. “What would you like to drink?”
“Do you have cranberry juice?”
“I might,” he said before disappearing again.
I ate slowly, avoiding the left side of my mouth. I could feel how raw my poor gums were, and just the tiniest piece of food touching where my missing molar is made me cringe.
I was almost done when Andrew burst into the apartment without knocking. I stared at him, wide-eyed, as he starting going crazy examining my injuries.
“I’m fine,” I said quietly, trying to push his worried self away. He was too close. “Brent took care of me.”
Andrew looked me over once again before placing a kiss on the top of my head and looking over at his teammate. “Thank you. I don’t want to think about what would have happened if you hadn’t of answered her call.”
I couldn’t see the other man since my cousin had me tightly against him. “I told her I would be there if she needed me,” he said cooly.
I smiled slightly. He did say that.
Andrew pulled away to study me. “Let’s get you to the doctor.”
I nodded and let him put my coat on for me and then lead me out of the apartment with Brent Seabrook not far behind us.
We piled into the car and started towards the hospital. I told both men the story of what happened, and by the end, Andrew’s knuckles were white as he gripped the steering wheel, and Seabsy just looked distant.
“Please say something!” I begged, breaking the horrible silence.
“As soon as we get to the hospital, I’m calling the police,” my cousin snarled despite trying hard to keep his cool.
I nodded. I wanted a restraining order so badly against Daniel. I never want to see his face ever again.
We made it to the hospital, and it took about two hours to properly bandage the wounds I received, along with a few stitches, and then another hour to get a police report down and the basics of a restraining order written up. Andrew was going to take care of the rest of it for me at a later date, because I was starting to get too emotional. And I also needed to get to the dentist.
“I can take her,” Brent said, looking at Andrew. “If you want to get the legal dispute settled now.”
Andrew pondered his teammate’s offer. “I would rather have it finished sooner rather than later.” He glanced at me. “Are you ok with that?”
I nodded, not offering up much else.
“Ok.” He hugged me tightly. “I’ll see you at home, ok?”
I nodded again and Andrew thanked Brent before we took to our separate ways.
I could feel the defenseman’s eyes on me most of the car ride to the closest dental office. We pulled into the parking lot, and when I didn’t pick my head off of the window, he turned to look at me. “Vanna,” he said gently. I looked at him. “Are you ok?”
I shrugged
Mr. Seabrook surprised me by reaching for my hand and squeezing it, the warmth seeping from his hand into mine. “It’s going to be ok. I’m here and won’t let anything happen to you. You have all of the Hawks behind you. If any one of them sees Daniel, he’s a dead man.”
I smiled a bit. “Ok.”
He let go of my hand. “Smiles fit your face a lot better than frowns do. And your fiery personality is much more appealing than this silence.”
Despite the circumstances we were in and the pain I felt all over, I laughed, which made Brent smile. “Thank you.”
We got out and I spent another hour of my life in the dentist office, trying to help fix the damage that was my gums. There was still a part of my molar in there, so it had to be removed, and then my gums needed to be fixed up a bit because they were so raw.
I came out in more pain than when I went in because of having to have a tooth pulled. Brent and I went to mine and Andrew’s apartment in silence again, but this time, it was more comfortable.
Mr. Seabrook walked me up to the apartment and stayed until I took off my coat. I turned to face him and looked down at his clothing that I was wearing. “Do you want to stay for a minute so I can return your clothes to you...?” I asked, a tad bit hesitantly.
Brent smiled. “No. It’s ok. You keep them. I have plenty of sweats and shirts, I won’t miss them. Plus, those look flattering on you.”
I smiled a bit, blushing slightly, but this time, I didn’t have a comeback. My mind isn’t working so fast right now. “Thanks,” was all I could think of to say.
“Stay safe and don’t leave the apartment,” Brent scolded. I nodded. There was no way anyone could get me out of the apartment by myself. He smiled though at the reassurance. “Try to sleep and rest. It’ll help you feel better. Laddy should be home soon, but if you need me, just call and I’ll be back.”
I nodded again. “Ok.” I suddenly felt really tired, and the Blackhawk must of read it on my face.
“Go relax,” he said gently, making his way to the door. I followed so I could lock the door behind him.
“Thank you for everything,” I whispered as he turned to me once in the apartment hallway.
Brent smiled gently, and leaned forward, placing a soft kiss on my forehead. My lips parted slightly in surprise, and I felt the flush on my cheeks. “Anytime, Vanna. I’m always here for you.” And with that, he turned and walked towards the elevator.
I closed the door after he was out of sight, and I blinked a few times to make sure this was real. It was.
I made my way to my own bed and crawled under the cold covers, shivering slightly and then relaxing once they warmed up.
For the first time ever, I was shocked speechless. I am known for my fiery comebacks. I never back down. And today, Brent Seabrook got me. He knocked, or more like kissed, all of the brashness right out of me. I could blame it on the night I had last night, but deep in my gut, I had a feeling that it was more than that...
Those were my last thoughts as I feel into a deep, deep sleep.