Status: Completed

Sticks & Spirals

And Then It Hit Me

I shipped the present the next day and ignored any of Seabs’ calls or texts for the next few weeks. Rhyne was the only one who noticed the change in my personality towards the subject of Brent Seabrook, but like the intelligent girl she is, she didn’t question.
Andrew came home, and I was ecstatic to have him back, although I didn’t see much of him due to my intense training schedule.
He didn’t even question me about his teammate, mainly because he didn’t know.
Until one day when we were sitting down for dinner after I got home from training.
“So... why exactly are you ignoring Seabs now?” he asked as casually as he possibly could.
I froze, my fork slipping from my fingers as I looked up at my cousin. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I mumbled as I picked up my fork and began eating again.
“That’s a lie if I’ve ever heard one.”
I shot him a nasty look, and he held up his hands in surrender. “Ok, whatever. I was just curious because he was asking me. He’s confused. At least every other time you’ve been mad at him, he’s known why since... well... you two are just so nice to each other.”
“Just shut up, Andrew,” I mumbled.
He listened and the rest of our dinner continued on in silence.
I went to bed early to catch up on beauty sleep, and I was awake early once again for training. It was grueling, but everything is perfect. Traci couldn’t be happier.
“You’re ready,” she said with a ginormous grin on her face. “And just in time. Worlds is just around the corner. You got this, Vanna. You will rock the competition and the Canadian Olympic scouts will have their eyes all on you.”
Traci paused and grabbed her bag, lifting out a sketchbook. “Now, this is what I have planned for your outfit, and I’m playing along with the Blackhawks colors just for you.” Traci looked at me and grinned as she flipped through the pages. She turned to it, and my jaw dropped. “It will be one tank shoulder with the other should two straps like this,” she pointed. “Then it will be the usual tight fit with a small skirt. The trim around the neck will be black, and the edges of the skirt will be black too. It will look like it’s burnt almost. There will be black, sparkly designs throughout it. What do you think?”
“From your drawing, it’s absolutely beautiful! I can’t wait to see it!” I said laughing. “I will match me cousin and his team too. That’s always a plus.” I winked and we both laughed.
“And your routine is very strong and dominating, so that goes along with the red.”
I grinned and hugged my teacher. “Thanks so much. I can’t wait!”
Traci smiled back at me. “Good. Now go home. You’ve worked your ass off. It’s time for a break.”
I nodded and pulled off my skates. “Alright, see you in a couple days!” I said as I waved to her while leaving.
I made my way to my car, or Steeger’s old car, and drove home. I noticed that my brother’s vehicle was missing, and an all too familiar large ass truck was nearby. I could just feel my blood boiling as I drove to my spot, slammed my door, and headed to the elevator to our floor.
I’m pretty sure there was already a snarl on my face as I opened the door to the apartment, revealing tall, dark and handsome sitting on the couch, watching TV.
“What the hell are you doing here?” I hissed at him, throwing my bag on the ground.
Brent Seabrook looked up in surprise, startled by my sudden appearance and hostile reaction. “Watching TV?” he said as a question, unsure on how he should answer.
“Why are you watching TV in my house?” I snapped.
He blinked, his beautiful hazel eyes meeting my own. “I’m waiting for Laddy,” he replied quietly, standing slowly, as if he was talking to a frightened animal.
I growled and headed towards my room. I heard his footsteps following me, and I whirled around to face him. “Don’t follow me!”
Seabs looked hurt. “Vanna, talking to me. I don’t understand why you’re so mad at me.” His voice was so honest that my heart skipped a beat. “We were getting along so well. We haven’t argued much, except for the usual. I was quite happy, finally getting along with you. And then suddenly it all stopped. What happened?”
His eyes held the confusion that he was feeling. He was so lost, so confused. So I decided to enlighten him.
I yanked my phone out from my pocket, wandered through the pictures until I found the one of the girl and threw my phone in his face. “That’s why, you asshole!” I snarled.
Brent Seabrook looked at the picture, and the confusion just seemed to grow. “I... what...?” he stuttered.
“That’s your ex, Krista, isn’t it?” I snapped at him. “I thought you hated her. I thought that’s why you hated me. You don’t do you? You’re still in love with her.” Brent tried to interject but I didn’t let him. “So you’ve just been hating me for no reason? Is that it? Do you just hate me? Were you just faking being nice to me lately?”
“No!” he got out, looking a little panicked. “No, I like you, Vanna! I do! I don’t even... where did you get this picture?”
“From your side table, asshole.”
The tall man in front of me blinked. “Side...table? What side table? I got rid of all her pictures.”
It was my turn to be confused. “The one in your room. Next to the bathroom.”
Realization dawned on the defenseman’s face. “Oh! That’s the spare room. I never go in there... I forgot I had this in there...” He looked at me. “I’m so sorry you found this.” He deleted the picture. “I do hate her. She’s a bitch for doing what she did to me. And I’ve told you before and I’ll tell you again that I’m sorry for how I treated you at first. We were getting along so well lately. We still bicker, yeah, but I think that’s just our stubborn personalities clashing. We’ve only been mad at each other for hours after a fight. We’re friends... right?” His eyes were pleading.
“I dont...” I looked at him, the feelings inside of me becoming all confused and jumbled together. He does hate her... He forgot about the picture... Friends?
Damn it, Brent Seabrook. I want to be more then friends.
I shook my head, and Seabs had that panicked look return to his face. “I put my hands up quickly. “No, no no! I mean... yes... we’re friends... I’m sorry.”
He stepped closer, very close. “It’s ok,” he whispered. “All is forgiven?
I nodded, acutely aware that his body was so close to mine. “She’s gone, forever?” I asked, hope filling my voice.
“Forever,” he replied with his husky tone.
He suddenly stepped away, and I blushed instantly, more so as I realized that a flush had crept upon his cheeks as well.
Why?
Because my cousin just stepped through the door with Steeger on his heels. “MINI LADD!”
I broke into a smile. “VEREBAUTY!” We hugged. “I thought you were gone until August.”
“Nope. I missed it here.”
“No, he missed the girl that’s here,” Andrew said with a laugh.
Steeger swatted at him. “Shut up.” The small blonde looked between Brent and myself, suddenly realizing that we were alone together. I gave him a silencing look, and all he said was, “Oooh,” with his eyes large.
“Time to go eat, wanna come V?” Andrew asked me, oblivious to the looks passing between Steeger, Seabs and myself.
“Umm, no thanks. I just got home from practice. I need to shower and.. umm.. relax.”
My cousin shrugged. “Ok, suit yourself.” He turned to walk away. “Let’s go, guys.”
Steeger gave me one last knowing look before following his linemate towards the door. Brent Seabrook, however, stayed behind and looked at me once they were out of sight. “Vanna...” he said softly.
“I need to shower. I smell,” I said stupidly, mentally hitting myself. Smooth, stupid.
As I turned into my room, Seabs grabbed my wrist and pulled my towards him. His other hand went up to my cheek and his lips pressed against mine to fast, I didn’t have time to react. I’ll admit, I’ve imagined kissing this man for a while now, and I always pictured it to be hard and fiery. But this was nothing like that.
No, Brent Seabrook’s kiss was gentle, soft. His lips smooth and unsure of what he was doing was right.
I found myself kissing back, but only for a moment since the kiss only lasted a few seconds before the tall defenseman pulled away, letting go of my wrist, his eyes distant and his face flushed. “I better go,” he murmured and left me standing at my bedroom door, more confused then ever as I watched him leave.
“Goodbye,” I whispered, realizing how much I longed for him to stay.
And then it hit me as I thought about the kiss. How opposite it was from Daniel’s. Brent’s were true and soft as he put his emotions into it. Daniel’s was aggressive and held no type of kindness what-so-ever.
Brent cared where Daniel only pretended to.
I gasped, tears filling my eyes as I stepped forward, wishing Brent Seabrook had not already left. He filled me with emotions that Daniel never did. I liked Daniel, yes, but I never loved him. He was not for me. He was horrible, cruel and abusive.
Brent is kind, gentle, and yes, we bicker a lot, but we only bicker over something of meaning- like my safety. Brent cared for me like no one else besides Andrew, and maybe Steeger, ever had. That’s why we fought. Because he cared, and I was too stubborn to listen.
And he makes me feel safe...so safe. When I lie in his powerful arms, I feel like nothing could harm me, like that night he rescued me from Daniel. And deep down, I know that he would do everything in his powerful to keep me from harm.
But most of all, Brent filled me with something I’ve never felt before.
Love... he filled me with love.
“Come back,” I whispered into the air. “Don’t leave me alone.”
I was falling for Brent Seabrook.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so incredibly sorry that it has been so long since I last updated! I've been so busy that I barely have time to right, and I just needed a break from this story to get my thoughts together. I promise that I'll update more often, so I hope you like this chapter!! It's quite powerful, if I may say so myself.

Also, as a side note, this is Vanna's Worlds outfit: http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/m/m-sit38TkJKkE73boR-Iv0w/140.jpg