Status: Completed

Sticks & Spirals

Surprises and Parties

Winter flew by and opened up to spring. And what comes with spring? Yes, the playoffs. I was with my man and my cousin at every home game, sporting my Seabrook jersey that I gained almost two years ago, but only started wearing in the last year.
I have removed the brace on my knee, revealing the mess of a knee that I now have as it’s covered in scars. My knee gets stiff periodically, despite the fact that I have gone to therapy and I have regained as much range of motion in my knee as I possibly can. It especially gets sore and stiff in the cold, which then Brent slowly kisses each scar that sends shivers down my spine in that warm kind of way.
You’d think that due to the torrential ‘relationship’ we had when we first met, that the actual romantic relationship we have now would be, well, next to impossible. But it’s not true in any case.
Brent and I, we never fight. We bicker sometimes, but over things that couples usually bicker about. Like what to watch on TV, and who does what chores.
Those heated, violent fights we had when we were friends, and I use that term VERY loosely since we weren’t really friends, are in the past. Ever since Brent came to me that day at Worlds and said he wanted to start over completely, we did. Everything that was said and did is in the past now.
And as I think about it now, I have come to realize that most of those furious fights were my fault. I knew that he was in pain over a girl who hurt him in the deepest way, and I knew, even then although I didn’t admit it, that he just couldn’t control his anger because of it.
Really, it was all my fault that things got as far that they did. If I just would have said ‘whatever’ and let him calm down, things would have been much different.
But honestly, what happened in the past has shaped us for the better here in the present, and in the future. We know the other’s limits, and how to avoid pushing them.
I love this man. I feel for him like I have never felt before, not even close with that asshole named Daniel. Brent is special, and has a permanent place in my heart. He treats me like a princess, and I treat him like my prince.
I can see my future with him. And I never thought that I’d say that before.
The future came a little faster than I thought too, the night that the Hawks swept the Sharks. Brent and I were cuddled on the couch, feeding each other strawberries (yes, cheesy, I know), when Brent said something that shocked me.
“Vanna?”
“Hmm?” I asked as I watched the replay of the game on TV with a smile on my face.”
“I want to make you a promise.”
I broke my gaze from the TV and looked at the tall defenseman. “What?”
“If we, no, when we win the Stanley Cup... I want you to marry me.”
I blinked in surprise, my jaw dropping to the ground as my heart thudded painfully in my chest. “Are you serious?”
Brent smiled and turned his beautiful hazel eyes on me. “Very, Anna.”
I licked my lips, and broke out into a smile. “Alright then. I accept you on that offer.”
Brent laughed and kissed me softly, yet passionately.
So my future is coming a little sooner than I thought, even though I know that it wasn’t a true proposal. But even though I’ll admit, I wasn’t expecting to get married so young... or even at all... there isn’t anyone else that I’d rather spend my life with. This crazy Blackhawks mine.
And even though the promise was only a promise, the actual proposal came soon enough.
After six games against the Flyers, the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup for the first time in 49 years. I was in the crowd with my BFF Rhyne and we cheered until we cried before we were allowed on the ice with our men.
And that’s when I received my real proposal, again, not when I thought it would be. I figured he’d at least wait until after the celebration.
But nope... try right on the ice, right after he held the Cup in his hands.
In the middle of millions of people, in the arena and on live TV, Brent Seabrook dropped to one knee on the ice after retrieving the ring from his brother, and took my hand in his.
“Vanna Ladd,” he said with a smile as all of the Blackhawks began to whistle and cheer. “Will you do the honors of marrying me? And putting up with me for the rest of your life.”
I laughed and shook my head, turning as red as the jersey I wore. “Yes, you crazy knucklehead, of course I will!”
Brent slipped the ring on my finger and stood up just as I threw my arms around his neck and kissed him with a deep passion. Who cared with all of the hockey world was watching. This is my man, and I’ll keep him forever.
After we finally separated, Rhyne came over to me, eyes wide and filled with happiness. “I can’t believe it!”
I hugged the girl that was once so shy, and has blossomed into a beautiful flower. I feel proud to have watch it myself. “Go see your man, girl. Before he misses you too much.” I winked at her as she wandered off.
Andrew was suddenly behind me and lifted me into a big bear hug with my feet off the ice. “Cup number two, cuz!” he said with laughter of joy.
“I like this one better.”
He kissed my cheek, a twinkle in his eyes. “You just like the guys better.”
I glanced over to where my Brent Seabrook was. “Yeah, I suppose I do.”
Andrew put me down with a wink, and took my left hand in his, admiring the stone with a whistle. “Glad to know he has good taste. He wouldn’t let me see when he asked my permission to marry you.”
I raised an eyebrow. “He asked you? What about my mom?”
“Did that too.”
I smiled. What a traditional romantic.
I slid towards the man of the hour in my mind and slipped under his arm before we headed down runway to the locker room to party.
“I love you, Brent Seabrook.”
He looked down at me, his hazel eyes as bright as they could be. “And I love you, Vanna Ladd. Let’s go have some fun.” He winked, and down the runway we went, champagne in hand.
Let the parties begin!
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's short... but Vanna's story is coming to an end so there isn't much else to say. Just the epilogue is left.
I have begun my Viktor Stalberg story, A Broken Promise, to begin getting it going, so if you are interested, please read and subscribe!

Here is Vanna's ring: http://www.reception-wedding.com/antique%20style%20engagement%20ring.jpg