Status: Completed

Sticks & Spirals

The Teammates

We dropped Seabrook off, and he left without even a goodbye. I shot a look at the back of his head as he walked into his apartment building. I finally decided to ask what I’ve been wanting to ask, but couldn’t risk it with Mr. Cranky-Pants around. “So, what’s his deal?”
“Nothing,” Andrew said quickly, giving me a side glance. “It’s nothing you need to concern yourself with, V.”
I pouted. “Why not?”
“Because you don’t.”
“Hmph.”
Andrew sighed and put his hand on my head. “I know this is sudden and everything,” he said while still focusing on the road. “But our teammates really want to meet you, so some of them are coming over tonight. That cool with you?”
The frown left my face and a smile appeared. “Hell yes! Are you kidding! I can’t wait to meet all of the guys I’ve heard so much about!”
Kris laughed from the back seat. “I told you she wouldn’t care, Laddy boy.”
“Shut up, Steeger. You should have invited your little girlfriend.”
I turned around to smirk at Steeger, but the smirk left my lips as I saw the deep shade of red he turned and the sad look in his eyes. “Fuck off, Ladd.” Kris gave me a look, and that was the end of this conversation.
Andrew sighed and pulled into the garage of the apartment building where he lived. I noticed Kris’ vehicle in the parking lot as we passed by. “I think one of our little minors might be coming too. He was called up and he sort of needs some social contact.”
“Ok!” I said, smiling again.
We got out of the car and Steeger threw my backpack over his shoulder while Andrew grabbed my ugly bag. “What the hell, Vanna? This is the most disgusting bag I’ve ever seen!”
I laughed hard, and so did Steeger. “I need to be able to see it right away some how! I’m a figure skating, I can’t sit still and just wait and pick up everyone else’s bags to try to find mine! It’s a very well thought out idea.”
“Uh huh,” Andrew said as we started walking to the elevator to take us up to his floor. “How’s your knee anyways?”
I glanced down at my right knee. Underneath the sweatpants that I was wearing, it’s wrapped in a tight brace. I can just bend it to walk. “It’s fine. I start rehab the day after tomorrow. Speaking of, how am I going to get there?” I looked at my cousin. “When you go on your road trips and everything.”
“You can have Steeger’s old car, right bro?”
Kris nodded and draped an arm around my shoulders as we exited the elevator and started to walk to Andrew’s apartment. “Yup. I just got a new car and then we found out you were coming so you can have it. It’s in the parking lot.”
I blinked at him. “How are you getting home?”
He shrugged and let go of me as he walked into the apartment first. I stared at his back as he spoke. “I’m staying here until the game the day after tomorrow. Rhyne will drive me home since she lives by me down in the suburbs.”
I glanced at Andrew and judging by the look on his face, I realized that Rhyne is the girl that Steeger has a fancy for. But I didn’t say anything, learning from the comments earlier.
“Anyways,” Andrew coughed, heading down the hall and into a room. “This is your room, Vanna. The guys will be over any minute so unpack and do what you want. Feel free to join us in the living room whenever you’re ready.”
I nodded and grabbed my backpack from Kris. “Thanks guys.”
I turned around and started to unpack. The bed was a queen, thank goodness. Andrew really does know me well enough to even know that I can’t sleep in a twin or double bed. I move around too much when I’m asleep.
There was a desk by the window where I unpacked my laptop, and the closet was huge. Even though this is an apartment, it is still a fairly good size. My cousin is a Stanley Cup winner from when he was a Hurricane for crying out loud.
I heard a knock at the door, but I wanted to finish unpacking everything before I headed out there. Plus, I needed to change. I smelled like a plane.
I changed out of my sweats into some pj shorts and a long sleeve shirt that I was sure belonged to Andrew. I rolled up the sleeves a bit so it fit a little better.
With a slight wince, I tightened the brace around my knee. I was not looking forward to rehab. My knee still killed me.
Kris poked his head in my room just as I finished. “Ouch, that looks painful. You ok?”
“Yeah, I’m fine.” I smiled at him and patted next to me. “Talk to me, Steeger. Who’s this Rhyne girl?” I spoke gently to tell him that I’m just honestly curious and I don’t plan on making fun of him.
Still, his shoulders dropped as he sat next to me. “She’s this really sweet girl I met through the Penguins. She’s really shy, but once you get to know her, she’s so much fun to be around. She doesn’t have a lot of confidence in herself, but I like her. A lot.”
I smiled and patted his knee. “What’s she look like?”
Kris dug in his pocket and pulled out his phone. His background held a picture of a very petite girl with light brown, wavy hair and bright brown eyes that hid behind cute glasses. She really was adorable. “She’s so cute, Kris!” I said with a small giggle.
Steeger smiled a bit. “She’s three years younger than I am.”
“So nineteen?”
He nodded. “She’ll be twenty in a couple months.”
“She’s adorable, Steeger. Go for it!”
He shook his head. “No... not now. Maybe later on.”
I was about to say something in response, but he stood up and left without another word. I sighed. He’s so weird. I guess I’ll just have to talk to him some more.
I hauled myself to my feet, testing my knee before ultimately waddling out.
Andrew was the first to look up at me, and he jumped up and scurried over to me, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. “You ready to meet some of the guys? Everyone who is coming is here. Then you can eat.”
“Let’s get this show on the road,” I said grinning.
Andrew led me to the living room and I looked around at all the men. I knew them all, I mean, I did watch all of the games, but I was excited to actually meet them. “Guys, this is my little cousin, Vanna. V, this is Steegs, who you already know, Burish, Sharpy, Soupy, Duncs, Kaner, and then our little minor boy, Hammer.”
I looked at Hammer. I knew his real name, Niklas Hjalmarsson, but I was curious on who the hell gave him that nickname. I decided I’d find out later. “Hey guys!” I couldn’t help but noticed that Seabrook wasn’t apart of the defenseman here. “What? I don’t get to meet the Captain?”
“Sorry, you can meet him tomorrow at practice.”
I shrugged. “Alright.”
Patrick Sharp and Adam Burish stood up and made their way over to me. “Hey, mini Ladd,” Sharpy said, extending his hand. I took his gratefully. “It’s nice to finally meet you. Laddy boy talks about you nonstop.”
“Damn, well, I hope he says good things,” I replied, laughing, which made everyone else around me laugh too. “Nice to finally meet you too.” I glanced at Burish. “And don’t even try any tricks on me. I know you two are the trouble makers, and I don’t know what Andrew told you all, but if you dare to try to prank me, you’ll only get a taste of your own medicine. Times ten.”
Bur whistled and looked at my cousin. “I like her. She’s a fiery one. Can she stay with us forever?”
Andrew laughed and wrapped his arm around my shoulder again. “I hope she stays for a long time.”
“That’s the plan.” I grinned.
“Well, there’s pizza in the kitchen...” Andrew said, getting cut off because all of the men, minus ‘Hammer’, rushed into the kitchen. “Hopefully they leave us some,” he muttered.
I laughed and looked at Niklas Hjalmarsson. He was twenty-one, I knew. Steeger handed me a plate as he came out of the kitchen with three pieces of pizza, and I went to sit next to the shy guy.
He barely looked up at me. “Hello?”
My heart just melted at his thick accent. Andrew warned me that he wasn’t the best at English right now, but he seemed pretty good to me. Better than other Swedes who come to North America for hockey. “Hey, why so lonely?”
Hjalm shrugged and looked back down. “I don’t have many friends here.”
“Teammates are friends, are they not?”
He shrugged again, and I felt my heart go out to him. He looks so sad. “What’s really wrong?”
“I miss my family,” he whispered.
I frowned and put my plate down hugging him. I caught him by surprise, but he didn’t object. “It’ll be ok!” I said cheerfully after pulling away. “You have all of the Hawks and then the Rockford whatevers. And now me!”
He smiled a bit. “Thanks.”
I looked at my plate. “Want a piece?”
Hjalm nodded and took the pizza, biting into it slowly. “Thank you.”
I grinned. “No problem.” I stared into his blue eyes. I figured he’d be the one to ask my questions. He’s too nice to not answer. “So,” I started casually eating my pizza. “What’s Seabrook’s deal? He was there when I got picked up and he gave me the cold shoulder.”
Hjalm looked at me. “He just broke up with his girlfriend who was cheating on him for the past two months.”
I winced. “Ouch. No wonder he’s so cold.”
“She was a figure skater.”
Oh, that explains a lot. But still, that got my blood boiling. “So, he thinks he can be a total ass to me just because I’m a figure skater?” Nik sort of backed off and shrugged a bit. “Well, not all of us are the same! I hate cheaters. You know, I only had one boyfriend. And he cheated on me with my former coach. Yeah, that’s why I’ve been coachless for the past year and also what caused me to get injured.”
“I’m sorry,” he said miserably.
I immediately felt bad. “Hey, it’s not your fault. Thanks for telling me. I appreciate it, ok?”
Nik smiled a bit. “Ok.”
I met my cousin’s eyes, and he knew immediately what just happened, and he sighed dramatically. He knew what was coming. And I can tell you, it won’t be good.