Status: Completed

Sticks & Spirals

Problem: Daniel

I came to in Steeger’s car, with him leaning over me. “Vanna?” he asked, concerned, once my eyes flashed open. “Are you ok?”
“How’d I get in the car?”
Steeger shifted restlessly next to me, leaning back in his seat. “You fainted and I saw Daniel and took a wild guess that he’s why you fainted.”
“You know about Daniel?”
Kris’ blue eyes wouldn’t look at me. He focused on the steering wheel. “Um, yeah. Laddy told me...”
I sighed and sat up. “Figures.”
“Are you ok?” he repeated.
“Yeah,” I shivered. “So Daniel really is here? I didn’t imagine him?”
“He’s here.”
“That’s just damn great!” I yelled, punching the dash of Steeger’s car. He flinched. “How the hell did he find me! I told know one! Only my family knows that I moved down here, and my family despised him from day one!”
“You’re a figure skater, Vanna,” Steeger stated, pulling out of the parking spot. “When you do something, the whole figure skating world knows about it. It’s a lot like hockey. I can tell you when someone gets traded within an hour of them being traded, no matter the team, because word travels like wildfire amongst the world of which you are in, hockey and figure skating alike.”
I looked down at my manicured hands. “I suppose you’re right.” I squeezed my eyes shut. “He better not dare try to come near me, or so help me...”
Steeger rested his hand on mine while still driving. “V, we won’t let him hurt you,” he said softly.
“We?”
He hesitated. “The whole team kind of knows. Laddy didn’t actually think that we’d meet you, and he needed to vent because of... what happened... and such.”
“Figure he told,” I grumbled. “And just say it. It’s all in the past.”
“I don’t want to say it!” Steeger pouted like a two year old.
“Say it!”
“No!”
If anyone could hear us, we’d sound like a mother scolding her son. I actually think it’s pretty funny, despite the grim conversation.
“I was almost raped,” I said bluntly.
Kris shifted uncomfortable, glancing at me from the corner of his eye. “How can you say that so calmly?”
“Because I’m not some weak little girl who can be tricked as easily as Daniel thought. Although he very damn well tried, he didn’t rape me.”
I could tell how uncomfortable my best friend was, so I decided to just drop the conversation altogether. “So.”
“So?” he asked, looking at me.
“What are you getting Rhyne for Christmas?”
The blush that appeared on his cheeks was to adorable. I had to take a picture, which made him mad. He swatted at me. “I don’t know,” he said with a pout. “Something?”
“Not good enough!” I yelled, whacking him in the back of the head. I’m kind of happy I switched the conversation. I hate Daniel, and despise talking about him.
“Ow! I’m driving here!” Steeger whined.
I grinned. “I’ll go shopping with you. She deserves something nice.”
“I thought you didn’t like her,” he mumbled, clearly upset now.
I sighed. “Steeger, I never said I didn’t like her. I just, I don’t think she’s right for you.” But she does make him happier than I’ve ever seen. “She’s too quiet for you. And self conscious.”
“But that’s what I like about her!” I gave him a weird look and he looked flustered. “Not the self conscious part, but her quietness. She’s just so sweet, and kind. And she loves everything. And I honestly think I can help her break out of her shell.” He paused. “She just needs to know that there are people out there who love her.”
“Love her?”
He ignored me. “She just needs people to hang out with. She’s been so secluded in her life.”
“Ok, I get it,” I said quietly. “I just... I don’t know.”
“If I want to go for her, I will,” he said, almost in a mean way.
I glanced at him. “Then why don’t you?”
Steeger took his time answering. “Because I don’t want to scare her away.”
And that was the end of that conversation. Mainly because I was home now. “Thanks for taking me,” I said, grabbing my bags. “And saving my ass.”
He gave me a slight smile. “I had fun, except for you fainting. Call me when you want to go again.”
“Alright. See you at the game tomorrow.”
“Bye.”
I made my way up to the apartment and unlocked the door, opening it to reveal the Captain, just leaving. “Hey, V,” he said, giving me one of his smiles. Despise what everyone says, he really isn’t that serious. At least, outside of hockey he isn’t. He’s crazy serious when hockey comes in the picture, don’t get me wrong on that.
“Hey, Johnny,” I smiled. “Just leaving?”
“Yeah. See you tomorrow.”
I closed the door behind him and hung up my coat before grabbing my bags and turning around to head towards my room...
And slamming right into a tall, muscular chest. “Sorry,” the deep, sultry voice of Brent Seabrook said.
I looked up at him, forcing myself to stop blushing. “No, I’m sorry. I didn’t hear you.”
He smiled. He actually smiled... at me! “You seemed lost in thought.” And he’s talking to me... actually having a conversation. And the cold, distant look that he usually has in his eyes when he looks at me is gone.
I think hell just froze over.
“Yeah, kinda.”
“Daniel?”
I froze, and Seabs immediately knew he said something he shouldn’t have, because he backed off, the cold look reappearing in his eyes. “How do you know he’s here?”
“Steeger texted your cousin,” he said, backing off. “Sorry.”
I tried to reach for his arm, to keep him from walking away since we were actually getting along for the first time until he mentioned Daniel’s name, but he moved away too fast, and I felt an empty space fill my heart that was full when Seabs is around.
I sighed and grabbed my bags, sulking away to my room.
Andrew showed up in my doorway just after I out my bags down. “Are you ok?” he asked, clearly worried.
“I’m fine. I don’t think he saw me.”
Andrew nodded. “On our away trips, you aren’t staying alone. Not with him lurking around the streets.” There was an obvious angry tone in his voice. He’s my big cousin. He thinks it’s his job to protect me.
And I’m glad I have him.
“I’m not objecting,” I stated, looking at him. “But who will I stay with?”
“If any of the team is staying back due to injuries, them. Carmon if she can when she gets back. Maybe Kelly too, if Duncs lets her. Rhyne will let you stay with her too. At least that’s what Steeger says.”
I nodded. “Ok.”
Andrew walked up to me and hugged me. “I love you, Anna. I won’t let anyone hurt you. Not as long as I can help it.”
I hugged him back tightly, tears filling my eyes. “I love you too, Andrew,” I replied, almost in a whimpering tone.
I looked over my cousin’s shoulder as he hugged me to a slight sound in my doorway. I met Brent Seabrook’s hazel eyes, and like when I first ran into him, they were softer, gentler than normal.
He looked concerned, like he cared, and for some reason, that made me cry even more. Andrew just hugged me tighter to him, thinking I was crying because I was scared.
But no, I was crying because the man just feet away from me actually does care about me, and for some reason, that makes me feel better.
Safer.
And like I’m wanted.
Maybe we can be friends after all.
My heart just started thudding faster at the thought.
What is going on with me?