Sequel: Torque II

Torque

The Message

*It was raining, the sky was black apart from the full moon that hung in the sky. Jin's body lay in the dirt, the blood from his dwound now stopped, dagger remaining in his chest. A young woman came to the body. She was dressed in a long white cloak that dragged and seemed not to get wet or dirty. A hood came over her head, stopping vision to her face. She knelt down and scooped the body up. She turned and started walking to the...*

Torque woke with a start to the sound of high pitch screeching. He instinctively grabbed his sword and revolver and ran for the stairs. He jumped the banister and landed with a thud on the marble below. The screech faded out but he didn't drop his guard.

"Violet?" He called. Hoping for some response.

"I bought more ice cream!" She called from the kitchen.

"Jesus christ. The shreeks, didn't you hear them?"

"Oh yeah, those." She came out of the kitchen holding a bowl of raspberry ice cream. "It was a messenger daemon." She said quite happily.

"Oh right." He lowered his sword.

"Meet Rogg." The daemon followed her out with a bowl of ice cream too, a role of parchment was clipped to it's belt.

"Hi." He said.

"Just because you're a messenger daemon doesn't mean you can go around eating people's ice cream." Torque pointed out.

"It's from my tub though!" Violet said from his side.

"Fine, just give me the message."

Rogg put his bowl asside and unclipped the parchment, clearing his throat. "Torque, by the code, I have to announce my plans to escape. Be assured that if I do not succeed in my plan, I will at least make sure that you meet the same fate as your dear father. Overlord Beral Khaan."

"I'm surprised he still sticks to the rules after all this time."

Violet looked at him. "It's the code, if he doesn't follow it, it'll destroy him! Don't you remember, that's why i'm hear, to make sure you follow it too."

"Yeah, he wouldn't risk his own destruction, when he knows he might have a chance against a daemon slayer."

Rogg finished his ice cream. "Well, I've gotta be off." Another parchment clipped istself to his belt and he checked the label. He sighed. "The antarctic. Lovely." He sunk through the marble floor, the screeching sound happen again. Torque gritted his teeth at the sound. That was the one problem with the messengers. They were allowed to pass between realms and they made a damn racket when they did.

Violet looked at Torque again. "Did you have the..."

"Yeah." He wandered to the living room and checked the clock. "We've got an hour till sunrise."

"Yup." Violet said cheerfully, finishing her own ice cream, a voice in her head telling her to get more.

"No more ice cream."

Violet moaned at this and restrained herself by putting the bowl in the sink. 'I know, I know, if eat too much then I won't be able to fly, thus hindering us against the daemons.' She said this as if it was old news and sat down on the seat next to him. "Kill joy."

"Kill joy?" He tickled her. "I'm looking after us both."

"I know." She giggled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Messenger daemons are allowed to pass between realms as they have no ability to use weapons and cannot fight ^_^